World Cup

Can we kinda use this thread to combine all our thoughts and keep up with the World Cup for the next month? I figured a couple of days before it gets started would be a good time to start this thread.

First off, I'm incredibly excited for this tournament. This is a really deep field that should provide many, many good matches.

Second, after looking through this U.S. roster, I would be very disappointed if they didn't make it out of the group. Our core 3 (Howard, Dempsey, and Donovan) have a different confidence in each other that I haven't seen before while the new guys have assimilated well. Furthermore, I think two players are going to have to play exceptionally well for us to succeed. Those two players are Herculez Gomez and Edson Buddle. Both of these guys have the ability to create, something that has been lacking on U.S. teams in years past.

Third, look for injuries to make a significant difference in the success of teams. Already out are players like Rio Ferdinand (D, England), Michael Ballack (M, Germany), and Didier Drogba (F, Ivory Coast).

So there are my random thoughts so far. Let's hear yours.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought they looked damn decent against australia, but i'm still not getting my hopes up.

Yep. That's the game that started to get my hopes up. I know I need to be more guarded, but I think this team can make a splash. Don't get me wrong. They're not world-beaters, but a quarterfinal (semifinal???) run wouldn't surprise me.

But I love Buddle's ability to hold the ball up. He's also shown that he can get behind the defense. Add that to Altidore who does both of those things as well as Buddle, if not better, and you have quite a formidable attacking line. Now if we can just sure up our defense...

Mexico got robbed in the 37th minute. Bogus offsides call that should've been a no-call. I didn't watch Uruguay/France, but Mexico looked pretty solid from what I saw. I would still think France and Mexico advance from Group A.

I'm glad someone decided to delete my post! Must of offended someone soooooo sorry! Now only 29 days this it's over!!!! yeah!!!

It's only the biggest sporting event in the world. Yes, even bigger than your beloved Blue Devil basketball.

Mexico got robbed in the 37th minute. Bogus offsides call that should've been a no-call.

The rule is clear, if you have fewer than two defenders (including the goal keeper) between you and the goal and you do not have possession of the ball, then you are in an offside position.

The rule is clear, if you have fewer than two defenders (including the goal keeper) between you and the goal and you do not have possession of the ball, then you are in an offside position.

I appreciate the clarification of that rule, the ESPN announcers didn't mention this.

i have a feeling this thread is going to heat up soon...

man, i was just dumbfounded by that whole game today. our ups and downs were really drastic, as were the referee's. it was a roller coaster, and i'm sad the official basically stole 2 points from the usa.

We were robbed today! Clearly that goal was legit. In NO way was that a foul or offiside and yet it is called against us? Bocanegra and Bradley were both being hugged and no penalty look either? In the Official Match Report the infraction was a foul on Edu, which shows how we were robbed. Now the ref is not the reason we only got one point, it is a reason, but not the main one. Our defense is still horrible. Two early goals should have never been allowed. Gooch has to step up on both of those, first one to contest the shot, second one to draw the attacker offsides. I thought we played well in the second half and we are happy with the point. Focus now turns to Algeria as a win and we are most likely in. A win by 2 and we are for sure in.

We were robbed today! Clearly that goal was legit. In NO way was that a foul or offiside and yet it is called against us? Bocanegra and Bradley were both being hugged and no penalty look either? In the Official Match Report the infraction was a foul on Edu, which shows how we were robbed. Now the ref is not the reason we only got one point, it is a reason, but not the main one. Our defense is still horrible. Two early goals should have never been allowed. Gooch has to step up on both of those, first one to contest the shot, second one to draw the attacker offsides. I thought we played well in the second half and we are happy with the point. Focus now turns to Algeria as a win and we are most likely in. A win by 2 and we are for sure in.

Agree totally about the reversed goal. The referee couldn't even explain it. Complete blown call that cost the U.S. one of the greatest comebacks in recent memory. Complete mess.

How U.S. gets to Round 2:

1. England beat/tie Algeria.

2. England beat Slovenia.

3. U.S. beat Algeria.

Or, England and Slovenia can tie, with the U.S. advancing on goal differentials. But let's keep it clean, shall we. ;)

Even a England/Algeria tie with a US/Algeria tie and a Slovenia win. I mean there are tons of possibilities. If this England/Algeria game ends in a tie, either 0-0 or 1-1, the US would be in no matter what with a win over Algeria.

Even a England/Algeria tie with a US/Algeria tie and a Slovenia win. I mean there are tons of possibilities. If this England/Algeria game ends in a tie, either 0-0 or 1-1, the US would be in no matter what with a win over Algeria.

About 15 minutes away from a 0-0 tie, which is wonderful.

England's looked VERY sloppy. Hard to believe that they could feasibly miss the Round of 16.

Just watched the U.S. game I taped today. I stayed away from all outside contact so I could see the outcome for myself and wow what a game! U.S. had chance after chance and Donovan was able to get the late goal to win the group! Incredible!!