World Cup

Yeah they did. I was pretty surprised that Holland thought they could win like that. Yes, they did need to handle pretty potent attackers, but they didn't have to completely turn away from the free flowing football they've been playing to do so. I was disappointed.

I was watching the game with a couple of 10 year olds who hardly knew anything about the sport. I was answering their questions throughout the whole game in their quest to understand what was going on at times. Sometime in the second half, one of them says: "My gosh, there has been a yellow card every five minutes!"

I had a traveling team coach tell us one time that if we had never had a yellow card for a tackle, then we weren't playing the game aggressive enough.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. After the Ireland/France debacle, Irish legend Roy Keane said it was partly due to the fact that the Irish team was not booked. Yellow cards aren't bad. In excess, yes they are. You hear the announcers say a "professional foul," but the Dutch were playing "dirty" football. De Jong should have been off, van Bommel should have been off as well for cumulation of tackles. I was disappointed in the way the game was played, but it was in a way interesting to watch.

Exactly. After the Ireland/France debacle, Irish legend Roy Keane said it was partly due to the fact that the Irish team was not booked. Yellow cards aren't bad. In excess, yes they are. You hear the announcers say a "professional foul," but the Dutch were playing "dirty" football. De Jong should have been off, van Bommel should have been off as well for cumulation of tackles. I was disappointed in the way the game was played, but it was in a way interesting to watch.

Yeah, there definitely is a (not very) fine line between being aggressive and being overboard. Coming from this particular Dutch team, the physicality of the game surprised me. I know De Jong and Van Bommel are both physical players, but they definitely took it too far at points. I think the pace and skill of Sneijder, Robben, Kuyt, Van Persie, etc. were compromised because of the style the Dutch chose to play. Either way, Spain were (was?) resilient, took Holland's physical challenges well, and came away as the 8th team to ever win a World Cup. Hats off to them.

Spain were resilient. They played their style of football which is actually fun to watch. If you don't have fun watching Barcelona play, which is essentially the way Spain plays, then you don't know exciting football.

Spain were resilient. They played their style of football which is actually fun to watch. If you don't have fun watching Barcelona play, which is essentially the way Spain plays, then you don't know exciting football.

I've tried to get into this game (soccer) and I just can't quite get there. I tried to watch the entire match yesterday and I was nodding off all during the game. I was awake for the goal, however. The game just bores me to death. Maybe if I had played it when I was younger it would interest me, or if I had kids that played it, but I just can't get into it. The guys seem to "flop" or "fake" being hurt a lot as well, and I hate that.

I've tried to get into this game (soccer) and I just can't quite get there. I tried to watch the entire match yesterday and I was nodding off all during the game. I was awake for the goal, however. The game just bores me to death. Maybe if I had played it when I was younger it would interest me, or if I had kids that played it, but I just can't get into it. The guys seem to "flop" or "fake" being hurt a lot as well, and I hate that.

Yeah, that game yesterday was insanely boring. Did you get a chance to see the Germany vs. Uruguay match? Now that game was fun. Just back and forth, the refs let them play, beautiful flow throughout, etc.

And diving is incredibly frustrating. I hate it as well.

Yeah, that game yesterday was insanely boring. Did you get a chance to see the Germany vs. Uruguay match? Now that game was fun. Just back and forth, the refs let them play, beautiful flow throughout, etc.

And diving is incredibly frustrating. I hate it as well.

I didn't get to watch the Germany vs Uruguay match. Maybe that one would have been more entertaining for me. Not being a true soccer fan puts me at a disadvantage. I'm definitely not trying to disrespect the game, but I guess I just don't understand it.

Diving is part of the game though.

It doesn't have to be. Diving takes so much away from the way the game is supposed to be played. It would take me a while to define exactly what I mean, but I think we all get the point.

I didn't get to watch the Germany vs Uruguay match. Maybe that one would have been more entertaining for me. Not being a true soccer fan puts me at a disadvantage. I'm definitely not trying to disrespect the game, but I guess I just don't understand it.

Obviously, the more you watch, the more you'll understand. Soccer is a weird game. You can have 0-0 ties that are insane, back and forth action, puts you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Or you can have the 2010 World Cup final.

All of the 17 years I played I never did that to get a call and rarely saw it from my teammates and/or opponents.

The sad reality is that in the modern game, diving is a part of the game (not in the rule book for Gman). I've taken dives before in the game. I've gotten the calls. Do I feel bad about it, no? Would I take my yellow card if they gave it to me, yes. Anything that you can do to give your team an advantage is fair play in my book. It's frowned upon, and I can't stand to see it in a game, but at the end of the day, I'm a hypocrite because of it.

Best game of the tournament for me was Ghana/Uruguay.