Graham

Jason

If Graham still drops next season to division 2 and was to somehow win the Division 2 State Title would they be the only team to have at least one state title in all three classes?

They would be if they had won one in the other 2 classes, but they haven't, so, n/a.

They've been in the (AA) SWD since BEFORE the 3 class system began in 1970.

I am wrong. There was only one classification when Graham was awarded the title in 62. Classifications started in 70. Oh well.

Edited by swvaoutdoors

According to the State Titles posted at GHS the one back in 1962 was "labeled" as Single A... Then the two from 89 and 95 were in AA. Graham would never be able to get a state title in all three because well simply put Graham will never be in AAA

If Graham still drops next season to division 2 and was to somehow win the Division 2 State Title would they be the only team to have at least one state title in all three classes?

No Chance of that happening....Division 2 Region C (when it comes to playoff time) will be tougher than Division 3 Region IV.

They'll be in a weak district....but Regional play will have more quality teams....If Graham expects to compete at the state level in D-2...they'll have to continue to schedule tough teams out of district...and somehow learn to play defense.

But, I agree with the others...there was only one classification when they won their 1st state title.

No Chance of that happening....Division 2 Region C (when it comes to playoff time) will be tougher than Division 3 Region IV.

They'll be in a weak district....but Regional play will have more quality teams....If Graham expects to compete at the state level in D-2...they'll have to continue to schedule tough teams out of district...and somehow learn to play defense.

But, I agree with the others...there was only one classification when they won their 1st state title.

Actually wont be any Regional play next year so it will make it even harder. Gretna will even be moved to the Western Region and could be a first rounder for Graham to play.

Also for anyone that dont know me I am not a Graham guy. Someone had told me a few years back that Graham had won a Class AAA Title in the 60s. I think even a State program I had bought said it was a AAA title but after more investigation those days only had one Classification and you were handed the State Title either buy a one game playoff if lucky enough to be selected or just handed the Title due to a vote.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-pastchampions-1920-69.pdf

State Champions (1920-69)

1920 Newport News 14 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 7

1921 Maury 28 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 0

1922 Jefferson Sr. Roanoke 8 Woodrow Wilson 0

1923 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 3 Woodrow Wilson 0

1924 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 3 Woodrow Wilson 0

1925 Newport News 7 Lynchburg 6

1926 Woodrow Wilson 20 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 0

1927 Woodrow Wilson

1928 Jefferson Senior, Roanoke

1929 Maury, Norfolk, Newport News (tie)

1930 E.C. Glass

1931 Newport News

1932 Maury

1933 E.C. Glass

1934 Lane

1935 Maury

1936 Hampton

1937 Petersburg

1938 E.C. Glass

1939 Maury

1940 John Marshall

1941 John Marshall

1942 Hampton

1943 Thomas Jefferson-Richmond

1944 George Washington, Granby, Petersburg (tie)

1945 Granby

1946 Granby

1947 Woodrow Wilson

1948 Hampton

1949 Hopewell

1950 Hopewell, Hampton (tie)

1951 Hopewell

1952 Thomas Jefferson-Richmond

1953 Granby

1954 Woodrow Wilson

1955 Norview

1956 Washington-Lee

1957 Jefferson Senior, Roanoke

1958 Hermitage

1959 Norview

1960 Washington-Lee

1961 Highland Springs

1962 Graham

1963 Lane

1964 Andrew Lewis

1965 Annandale 20 Granby 0

1966 Granby 13 Andrew Lewis 0

1967 Annandale, Douglas Freeman, Princess Anne (tie)

1968 George Washington

1969 Hampton 42 Great Bridge 0

Group I was the equivilant to Group AAA today if I am not mistaken. They were the only class to award a state title in football. I bet VHSL helper could give us some info on how playoffs and classifications worked back in those days.

Actually wont be any Regional play next year so it will make it even harder. Gretna will even be moved to the Western Region and could be a first rounder for Graham to play.

Pretty sure Gretna will be in the Eastern Region. I say that because the East/West cutoff for D-2 was Radford and the "big deal" was Radford would be in the Eastern Division and may have to travel all the way to the coast for a first round game.

Also for anyone that dont know me I am not a Graham guy. Someone had told me a few years back that Graham had won a Class AAA Title in the 60s. I think even a State program I had bought said it was a AAA title but after more investigation those days only had one Classification and you were handed the State Title either buy a one game playoff if lucky enough to be selected or just handed the Title due to a vote.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-pastchampions-1920-69.pdf

State Champions (1920-69)

1920 Newport News 14 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 7

1921 Maury 28 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 0

1922 Jefferson Sr. Roanoke 8 Woodrow Wilson 0

1923 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 3 Woodrow Wilson 0

1924 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 3 Woodrow Wilson 0

1925 Newport News 7 Lynchburg 6

1926 Woodrow Wilson 20 Jefferson Sr., Roanoke 0

1927 Woodrow Wilson

1928 Jefferson Senior, Roanoke

1929 Maury, Norfolk, Newport News (tie)

1930 E.C. Glass

1931 Newport News

1932 Maury

1933 E.C. Glass

1934 Lane

1935 Maury

1936 Hampton

1937 Petersburg

1938 E.C. Glass

1939 Maury

1940 John Marshall

1941 John Marshall

1942 Hampton

1943 Thomas Jefferson-Richmond

1944 George Washington, Granby, Petersburg (tie)

1945 Granby

1946 Granby

1947 Woodrow Wilson

1948 Hampton

1949 Hopewell

1950 Hopewell, Hampton (tie)

1951 Hopewell

1952 Thomas Jefferson-Richmond

1953 Granby

1954 Woodrow Wilson

1955 Norview

1956 Washington-Lee

1957 Jefferson Senior, Roanoke

1958 Hermitage

1959 Norview

1960 Washington-Lee

1961 Highland Springs

1962 Graham

1963 Lane

1964 Andrew Lewis

1965 Annandale 20 Granby 0

1966 Granby 13 Andrew Lewis 0

1967 Annandale, Douglas Freeman, Princess Anne (tie)

1968 George Washington

1969 Hampton 42 Great Bridge 0

Cool, thanks for the info...I forgot about the change to the single A playoffs.....

Graham will probably walk through the district (possibly the weakest single A district in the state...sorry to offend any MED fans)...but no easy road in playoffs (probably tougher competition overall in early rounds..) before Graham only had to worry about Richlands in 1st couple of rounds....will be a whole different ballgame and folks around here will learn pretty quickly, just how good some of these single A teams are....

Pretty sure Gretna will be in the Eastern Region. I say that because the East/West cutoff for D-2 was Radford and the "big deal" was Radford would be in the Eastern Division and may have to travel all the way to the coast for a first round game.

Radford would be in Division 1 along with GW.

I remember reading somewhere that some of the Region B teams would be put in the West side. Gretna was the main one that caught my eye. Dont remember who else.

As for the new playoff some single a teams would be better off dropping out of their districts and becoming Independents as District Champs will no longer get an automatic bid to the playoffs. You will now have to earn your way in so no longer will teams make it by walking through weak districts.

I remember reading somewhere that some of the Region B teams would be put in the West side. Gretna was the main one that caught my eye. Dont remember who else.

http://www.swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18336 , perhaps?

As for the new playoff some single a teams would be better off dropping out of their districts and becoming Independents as District Champs will no longer get an automatic bid to the playoffs. You will now have to earn your way in so no longer will teams make it by walking through weak districts.

That won't be a problem... 64 of 86 teams will get in. Ervinton woulda missed out at 4-6, but Narrows & Rural Retreat woulda been in at 3-7.

Group I was the equivilant to Group AAA today if I am not mistaken. They were the only class to award a state title in football. I bet VHSL helper could give us some info on how playoffs and classifications worked back in those days.

No playoffs back then ... used the old college method - AP sportswriters.

We had a thread about all that a couple of years ago, but my 500 post history only goes back to last Sept.