Gate City

gcdevils47

Best wishes to GC this year! I saw AJ Johnson from GC at UVAWise practice the other night. Great kid,and athlete. He and Aarron Stokes played in our All-Star game last year. Great players from GC. Will never forget the last meeting a couple of years ago between GC and Clintwood. Tihlee Anderson breaks away down the sidelines on a last minute drive and you guys beat us 28-27! What a game! I hope all our local guys brings home a championship,best wishes to GC and Richlands this year!:)

Thanks and right back at ya. I have a lot of respect for the Clintwood program. been winning a lot of games for a lot of years. Always turns out some great players.

I've stated many times, I love to see teams from our area go to the playoffs and do well. It shows just how good football is in this part of the state. Especially since most think that the state ends at Roanoke !

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best team that we had lately was that 2004 team that made it all the way to so semis there wouldnt have been any team in this area in the last 10 years to beat that 2004 team. We made it to the semis but we run into that Maryville Rebels buzzsaw and i know there not anyone that could hang with that Maryville team or any other of there teams in the last 10 years. Dnt get me wrong i like Swva football as i do NETN football and Clintood gbeating this year 2010 Greeneville team is a joke. And that Elizabethton and Happy Valley game is always close they like not even 10 miles apart

The best team that we had lately was that 2004 team that made it all the way to so semis there wouldnt have been any team in this area in the last 10 years to beat that 2004 team. We made it to the semis but we run into that Maryville Rebels buzzsaw and i know there not anyone that could hang with that Maryville team or any other of there teams in the last 10 years. Dnt get me wrong i like Swva football as i do NETN football and Clintood gbeating this year 2010 Greeneville team is a joke. And that Elizabethton and Happy Valley game is always close they like not even 10 miles apart

That's a big statement ! I'm sure they were a very good team. But I think there might have been a team or 2 that might have been able to give em a game.

I think the 2006 Richlands state championship team could have played with them. I'm not saying they would have beat them, but I think they could have played with them.

That team had several go on to play college ball and one is still at Va-tech ( Austin Fuller ) and one is still at Emory ( Caleb Jennings ) and ( Shane Wicks ) is at UVA wise. I think there was a couple more but they have slipped my mind.

This years team has the potential, but they have only played 3 games so we need to see more and we need to see them at 100% health. When Austin Johnson is back and Devon is 100% healthy they'll be even better then they are right now.

There are at least 4 off of this years team that are being looked at by schools and 1 already has a offer from UVA.

That's a big statement ! I'm sure they were a very good team. But I think there might have been a team or 2 that might have been able to give em a game.

I think the 2006 Richlands state championship team could have played with them. I'm not saying they would have beat them, but I think they could have played with them.

That team had several go on to play college ball and one is still at Va-tech ( Austin Fuller ) and one is still at Emory ( Caleb Jennings ) and ( Shane Wicks ) is at UVA wise. I think there was a couple more but they have slipped my mind.

This years team has the potential, but they have only played 3 games so we need to see more and we need to see them at 100% health. When Austin Johnson is back and Devon is 100% healthy they'll be even better then they are right now.

There are at least 4 off of this years team that are being looked at by schools and 1 already has a offer from UVA.

I believe Austin and Devon got offers from Alabama not sure and Devon got another from West Virginia

I believe Austin and Devon got offers from Alabama not sure and Devon got another from West Virginia

I knew Devon got a offer from UVA and Will Lowe is being looked at by Marshall and I think they are looking at Austin too and somebody is looking at Josh Hess, but I'm not sure who.

I hadn't heard about the offers from Alabama or WVA for Austin & Devon.

I'm not sure about that one. I don't mean to question you, you may know more then I do. I just haven't heard that.

There are also some smaller schools looking at them and some other players.

I also believe the 2003 Gate City State Championship team could have played with these teams. GC went undefeated and only had one or two games that was won by fewer than 10 points and the state championship game was a blowout! Gate City had 1 from this team play at Virginia Tech, 5 play at Carson-Newman, 3 at Emory and Henry, and a few at UVA-Wise. Not saying that they would have beat you all or Maryville but they definitely would have been right with them and the games could have probably went either way if they were played. They would have been some great games if they could have been played. Don't underestimate some of the great teams that have come out of Southwest Virginia over the years!

I also believe the 2003 Gate City State Championship team could have played with these teams. GC went undefeated and only had one or two games that was won by fewer than 10 points and the state championship game was a blowout! Gate City had 1 from this team play at Virginia Tech, 5 play at Carson-Newman, 3 at Emory and Henry, and a few at UVA-Wise. Not saying that they would have beat you all or Maryville but they definitely would have been right with them and the games could have probably went either way if they were played. They would have been some great games if they could have been played. Don't underestimate some of the great teams that have come out of Southwest Virginia over the years!

" Don't underestimate some of the great teams that have come out of Southwest Virginia over the years! "

Thats the thing right there. I think they have proven over the years that they can play with anybody !

2002, 2003, and 2004 GC teams. 2004,2005, 2006 Richland teams. 2004 PV team. This years Richlands team I would almot garuntee would beat the 2004 THS team. The others I mentioned would give them a game with the exception of the 2002, 2003 GC team. Those two teams would have no problem winning either. The 2002 GC team was better than the 03 team but just peaked way too early.

" Don't underestimate some of the great teams that have come out of Southwest Virginia over the years! "

Thats the thing right there. I think they have proven over the years that they can play with anybody !

What most dont realize is that Richlands once they have made it to the Semis and Finals play teams with enrollments the size of Tennessee Highs enrollment. If THS was in Region 2 they would be on the verge of being either D 3 or D4.

What most dont realize is that Richlands once they have made it to the Semis and Finals play teams with enrollments the size of Tennessee Highs enrollment. If THS was in Region 2 they would be on the verge of being either D 3 or D4.

That's a good point ! Most want to talk about Richlands playing single A teams all the time but they forget how well we have done when we get into the playoffs.

They lost last year to a very good Cave Spring, but they have been to the regional finals 6 years and made it to the state finals something like 4 out of 5 years and winning one state.

Beating teams like Hidden Valley, Brookville, and competing against teams with bigger ( sometimes much bigger ) enrollments.

I think Gate City, Powell Valley, Clintwood, and Richlands could compete against a lot of these teams most years and would even put Lebanon in there some years.

I'm not saying that they would win the games of course, ( nobody knows for sure ) I'm just saying that they would be competitive.

Richlands is still a decent size school, their enrollment is under 800 for grades 9-12 but their enrollment has been going down over the last several years. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are.

Clintwood is a school of 300 students . How big is Greeneville? Don't know what the score would be if we played them ,but we would not be intimidated by them. Elizabethon is beatable,we beat Volunteer a couple of years ago. Northeast Tenn. problem is they can't do nothing when they hit the playoffs. The teams down south always win.

Richlands is big enough to be a 3a school. Gate City congrats on the win. Now just take it easy on Lebanon haha

I think you need to take a look at enrollment again. Richlands has less then 800 in grades 9 -12. Bigger then a lot of schools around here but still a small AA D3 team.

In state enrollments seen here. http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-divisions-2009-10.pdf

Richlands has exactly 100 more students than Gate City does and just 12 more than the biggest D2 school. RHS 781 GCHS 681. The biggest D2 school is Central Woodstock with 769 students.

Out of state enrollments found here. http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-outofstate-divisions-2010.pdf

Greenville TN only has 892 students, South has 1094, TN High has 1342, and the biggest Northeast TN school is Science Hill with 2158.

Man I missed it by 10.

You was definately close. Personally I wish you guys were Division 2. It would help us to get better and better each year. We got room in the CMD when you are ready! Also truth be known I miss us playing in D3. I loved playing up and was very excited to hear when talk first started of forming the CMD. The CMD has that old feeling of D3 ball with the only thing missing is us playing Graham for the Region Title.

You was definately close. Personally I wish you guys were Division 2. It would help us to get better and better each year. We got room in the CMD when you are ready! Also truth be known I miss us playing in D3. I loved playing up and was very excited to hear when talk first started of forming the CMD. The CMD has that old feeling of D3 ball with the only thing missing is us playing Graham for the Region Title.

I look for it to happen in a few years if things keep going the way they are. When it does happen I will miss D3 too but on the up side the CMD is a very good Distric.

I look for it to happen in a few years if things keep going the way they are. When it does happen I will miss D3 too but on the up side the CMD is a very good Distric.

When it does happen the CMD will be the old Southwest District sorta. Right now it is like the old Highlands.

Looking at the Division 3 numbers the biggest school in that division is Milbrook High School with 1242 students. Thats just 100 less than TN High. Dont know if any of the Richlands fans know this but there was Two new schools opened and put in Region II Division 3. They are Woodgrove with 1009 students and Tuscarora with 1000. They dont appear to be doing well this year but they are new.

Looking at the Division 3 numbers the biggest school in that division is Milbrook High School with 1242 students. Thats just 100 less than TN High. Dont know if any of the Richlands fans know this but there was Two new schools opened and put in Region II Division 3. They are Woodgrove with 1009 students and Tuscarora with 1000. They dont appear to be doing well this year but they are new.

I read somewere that both schools had to play as independents this year because of the 2 year cycle.

I read somewere that both schools had to play as independents this year because of the 2 year cycle.

They do. There was another school that opened up in D2 this year. East Rockingham with 675 students. I think all three picked up a lot of out of state teams and I know the two D3 schools played each other for the first game of the year and will play again at the end of the season. They opened these schools in the middle of the two year cycle when most VA schools in their districts were in the middle of their 2 year contracts.

1996,1997,2003 Gate City (The 97 team with Jake Houseright,and Beasley, the 03 team with Spivey, Jones, could hang with any Tennessee teams. 96 Gate city team should have won state with Josh Shoemaker leading the way, however got upset in the semifinals.

1992,1996,1997 Appalachia (scrimmaged DB in 1992..won 42-3 at J-Fred...ask Coach Clark about those Appalachia boys getting out of the back of trucks and whipping his butt. He tells the story pretty good.)

1989,1995,1997 Powell Valley ( The 89 team led by Robbie Duncan and Ricky Webb, 1995 team led by Thomas Jones, and the 1997 team with Julius Jones, Matt McCoy, Davis and to many to mention could all play with anyone in Tennessee.)

04,05,06,10 Richlands.......(look at the records...enough said)

If you want to go back even farther.....Back to the days of Harry Fry, Ralph Cummings, Jim Riggs, Ernie Hicks, and so on.......There have been many SWVA teams that could not only compete with the larger tennessee teams, but dominate them.

SWVA Teams bring state titles back to the area.......NE Tn teams exit early come playoff time.