Question for Bluefield residents!!

mv91

Who would be the person to talk to about Mitchell Stadiums wheelchair accessibility or lack thereof?

I think it is sad to have such a nice facility and not have something added to the bleachers for my viewing pleasures!!!!!

I will be making my every other year trip to Bluefield to watch Graham/Richlands Friday night and unfortunately i have to roll up and down the track to watch the action. good thing my 2 arm drive is fully operational :)

Who would be the person to talk to about Mitchell Stadiums wheelchair accessibility or lack thereof?

I think it is sad to have such a nice facility and not have something added to the bleachers for my viewing pleasures!!!!!

I will be making my every other year trip to Bluefield to watch Graham/Richlands Friday night and unfortunately i have to roll up and down the track to watch the action. good thing my 2 arm drive is fully operational :)

You can try the Recreation Director - Pete Sarver. The Recreation Department takes care

of the stadium. His number is 304-327-2448.

Pete Sarver is the Parks and Rec director for the city of Bluefield which owns Mitchell Stadium. I was talking to Pete last week and he told me that the Dept. Of Justice told him that Mitchell Stadium will have to have at least 101 [51 home side-50 Visitors side] Handicap accessible seating. I did not ask when this had to be done but I got the feeling it had to be done soon, but he did say that it will be expensive...Maybe some of that $5 million that the city received last month could help pay for the upgrade instead of new flowers and water fountains.

I would say it would be expensive!! I am no engineer, but i could see them fixing a ramp at the 50 yd line and take out first couple rows for wheelchair spots and have seats available if someone is with them.

That is a possibility!! The problem is the depth perception would not be good at all!!

Gate City has something very similar at the end of their field. But they put an 8ft chainlink fence up in front to protect people from getting hit with the ball. funny thing is, they must think their kicker is terrible because the platform is 10 yds left of the goalpost :)

Funny story: When we went down to Gate City this year for Richlands game, two of my buddies just picked me up (wheelchair and all) and set me up on the 3rd row of bleachers. I could see people wondering....How the heck did he get up there and how the heck is he getting down?? Needless to say, it was kinda hairy coming back down :)

I would think building a platform brick/concrete with railings at the end of the field may be the best solution.

Now that I think about it, a platform about 4 ft high at around the 25 yd line up against the fence would be great. The players,coaches etc do not come down that far on the sideline

I hope that The Bluefield Rec Dept takes care of this situation in a timely manner!!

I am a diehard Richlands fan, but I watched their games from rt 460 for a few years because Richlands stadium wasnt accessible until 03 or 04

I think they will make arrangements for you to get in the Pressbox mv91...there is a ramp at the back of the pressbox that is wheel chair accessable...either contact Pete Sarver with the City or Graham High School to make arrangements for that but I know there are handicapped people in the pressbox from time to time. Good luck and safe travels.

I think they will make arrangements for you to get in the Pressbox mv91...there is a ramp at the back of the pressbox that is wheel chair accessable...either contact Pete Sarver with the City or Graham High School to make arrangements for that but I know there are handicapped people in the pressbox from time to time. Good luck and safe travels.

Thanks for the info

FYI I know for a fact that the money used to plant the flowers and build and maintain the fountains in Bluefield are the responsibility of the Bluefield Beautification Commission which is funded through grants and fundraising. No city money was used in those projects.

FYI I know for a fact that the money used to plant the flowers and build and maintain the fountains in Bluefield are the responsibility of the Bluefield Beautification Commission which is funded through grants and fundraising. No city money was used in those projects.

Whatever...

Word is, a majority of the $5million the City got from the sale of the hospital is already spent....