No more Mr. Nice Guy for Richlands star Will Lowe

dinkman

It happens to Will Lowe before every Richlands football game. And according to the coaches and players for the Blue Tornado, the change is dramatic.

"Will just transforms," said junior offensive lineman Josh Hess said. "And he’s hard to stop once the game starts."

For the past three years, the 6-foot-3, 260-pound Lowe used a rare blend of quickness, power and raw fury to terrorize ball carriers from his defensive end spot.

Lowe admits that his school-day personality is different from his game-day persona. But he embraces his menacing muse.

"I am a pretty calm easy going guy. But when I strap on that helmet and the adrenaline gets pumping, I turn into a different person," Lowe said.

The transformation of Lowe will continue Saturday as the Blues (12-0) travel to face the Brookville Bees (12-1) in the Division 3 semifinals. Game time is 1:30 p.m. at Stinger Stadium in Lynchburg.

Eyes on the prize

Lowe was a starter on the 2008 Richlands team that lost 47-0 at Brookville. He also played special teams in the Division 3 title game against Monticello.

According to Lowe, the memory of those emotional losses have compounded his thirst for gold.

"I think about it being my senior year and all the work that we have put into reaching out goals, " Lowe said. "All that just builds up before game, and its gets me hyped."

Lowe credits his father, Mark, for instilling the work ethic necessary to dominate offensive lineman.

"My dad motivates me in everything I do," Lowe said "He played football at Richlands until he got hurt after his sophomore year. Dad is there after every win and brings me back up when I am down."

The 2010 season has been a joy ride for Lowe and all Richlands fans. After celebrating each win on Friday night, Lowe has been toasted along with other prospects at college campuses across the south on Saturday afternoon. His 2010 tour book has included stops at North Carolina State, Marshall, Wake Forest and Maryland.

Lowe has even heard from a recruiter at the University of Wyoming.

"They saw me on a YouTube video and gave me a call," Lowe said. "Wyoming is a long trip, but I’m considering the school. I like to hunt and fish, so that is right up my alley."

The man child

Richlands head coach Greg Mance has come to rely on Lowe to anchor his defense along with three-year starting linebacker Cody Thomas.

Mance said that his defensive end has the raw qualities of a star.

"Will is fast, quick and physical," Mance said. "And he just turned 17, so his best football is ahead of him."

The Richlands coach said it’s not wise to get Lowe upset.

Much like the tale of the Incredible Hulk, the results can be scary for opposing teams.

"When Will gets mad, you can’t do anything with him," Mance said. "He doesn’t want to be blocked, and he takes it personal when he does get blocked."

Lowe’s alter-ego came out in the fourth game this season in Abingdon. As the Falcon fans were sensing a potential upset, Lowe stormed through the line to slam AHS quarterback Jake Hess from the blind side.

The sequence forced a fumble and touchdown. Richlands went on to score 27 points in the second quarter en route to a 43-14 victory.

Richlands fans often rise to their feet as Lowe explodes from his stance.

Lowe has employed various workout techniques, including elastic bands, to improve his quickness and striking ability.

"I’ve been working on my speed for four years," Lowe said "I love to get in the backfield, make a big hit and maybe pop the ball loose."

While he has stared in film sessions around the Southwest District, Lowe pointed to the 6-foot-3 Thomas as the real Richlands hitman.

"Cody is only like 170 pounds, but he’s a strong ol’ country boy who will knock the poop out of you," Lowe said.

The fearless Thomas said he draws off the ferocious example of Lowe.

"When Will gets riled up, there’s just no slowing him down," Thomas said.

Secret weapon

Richlands has averaged 50 points a game with a spread offense powered around a massive line.

The Blues feature the passing of quarterback Cody Lockhart, the speed of running back Devon Johnson and the big-play magic of receiver Bradley Strong.

But for sheer power, the most potent weapon of the Blues is their 260-pound fullback. Lowe has rushed for 173 yards on 26 carries. He has scored five touchdowns on everything from bull runs through the heart of the defense to kickoff returns.

"I love getting the ball around the 5-yard line, driving straight ahead and running over tacklers," said Lowe, who also plays tight end. "Running the ball is my favorite part of football – next to sacking the quarterback."

Lowe has been counting down the hours until his next magical transformation. Just two games remain in Lowe’s quest for a state title.

"I’ve been waiting for this all my life," Lowe said

Edited by dinkman