WVU to Hire Oklahoma State O coordinator

wvuraiders

As for Noel Devine and Jock Sanders. Both very good players, but to think they are All Americans is also laughable. Not a knock on Devine but WVU's offense was much more effective with a north, south runner.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you to even hope that Stewart would stick around after being treated like he is right now, I don't know if it would do any justice to even respond to your post. Love him, hate him, whatever, but Oliver Luck pulled one of snakiest moves that you could pull and it is a blatant slap in the face to Stewart. The term "Coach in waiting" is something that is vested with time, like the case with Bud Foster at Tech, Jimbo Fisher at FSU, and the Texas fairytale that was Muschamp. The Holgerson hire was nothing more than a final push out the door to BS. What incentives are there for Stewart to stick around? He's basically a lame duck now with no opportunity for advancement. Why work? IMO, there's no way at all that Stewart sticks around after the bowl game, and that's even stretching it.

Downplay it if you will, but BS had a pretty impressive bowl stint. A BCS victory, a tough win against UNC that was played in UNC's home state, and a tough loss to FSU in Bobby Bowden's farewell game in, again, FSU's home state. Florida State would've probably beat just about anyone that game because of the emotions riding on a victory.

You act like WVU hasn't sniffed a BCS game since Rodriguez left. Stewart was ONE game and/or play away from returning to a BCS game again this year. If a.) South Florida would've helped you guys out last weekend or b.) no fumble inside on the goal line by Clark against UConn then you guys would be conference champions right now. According to your standards, Nick Saban should be in hot water next season if he doesn't reach a BCS game. Yes, he won a national title, but he also lost to Utah in a BCS game a couple years ago and isn't going to one this season. Circle the wagons!

Honestly, I believe you all are just having a hard time adjusting back to reality. No school consistently puts up 500 yards of offense like WVU did a couple years ago. Those teams were special. As good as the current players are, it's extremely hard to replace Reynaud, Slaton, Schmitt, and arguably the greatest player in school history, Pat White. Believing otherwise might be considered delusion.

We don't know what Stewart knew and didn't know. We know that he had multiple goals that weren't met. A lot of which led to the decisioin. OL may have done some behind the scenes work that might not seem right, it's possible. I don't like the moves within season prior to bowl games. Finish out what you start and take care of business after your bowls. However, football has turned that way. WVU had to move fast due to Pitt's interest in Holgerson.

Impressive bowl stint? BCS win, yes impressive, had a different signal caller. Meineke win, fun entertaining win, but not the bowl they should have been at. The gator bowl vs. Bowden, sure it was a tough situation playing a home game for a legendary coach in his last game, but with a very young down team. It should have been a win, the offense was horrible that game. Only 328 yds of total offense. Anyway, Stew was 2-1 in bowl games. He should have had 3 of 4 years in a BCS, instead it was 1. That was a year in which one of the most prolific offenses in football at the time was ran by someone else.

Why should we rely on other teams to screw up or help us out to get to a BCS. In a down year in the BE, WVU, had the tools to push forward and take the BE title outright. A pitiful show in offense against both Syracuse and Uconn proved deadly. Heck, a little offense and not punting directly to Peterson of LSU and WVU should be undefeated. The defense did it's job, the offense once again failed this team and shouldn't. We have had 0 identity on offense and that is because of the inexperience of Mullen and Stew's willingness to allow it. WVU has a shot every year at a BCS and should be in the hunt each year. Sniffing isn't enough, when you should be getting there. Saban followed up that loss with a NC team. That is called job security my friend.

500 ish yds, 30 pts unlikely???? tell that to chip kelly at Oregon. He has had to shuffle QBs very frequently the last few years...Dixon, Mussoli, Thomas....Went from expecting a senior led team with Mussoli to reaching to Thomas and going undefeated and now playing for the National Championship. I'd loved just 30 pts per game, hell 25 would have worked. How is an underachieving reality? Why is settling for less than your potential good enough?

Once again you have NO clue what went on behind the scenes. He WAS considered but the second he went with Rich to the Michigan press conference and was introduced as the new offensive coordinator then his shot was gone. No one to blame but himself. And its damn good that we didn't offer a guy who ended up lying about racism. If you think he should have been offered a position then you are ignorant.

I know what went on, trust me, I followed it very closely. He was considered but never offered. He should have had a shot at OC. He prob still would have left, but at least try. But hiring Stew when they did, it was too late. He went where he had a job with someone he knew at a prestigious program. I can't blame him. I agree the racism thing was crap, but then again that is what you get when you have an agent. This came from Rod's agent and he didn't deny it. If you think someone is ignorant for an opinion, you are ignorant!

As for Noel Devine and Jock Sanders. Both very good players, but to think they are All Americans is also laughable. Not a knock on Devine but WVU's offense was much more effective with a north, south runner.

Both could've been. the change in offense slowed their production down. Devine was recruited by Rod's staff and was supposed to run in a spread attack offense....he would have been very similar to Oregon's James by this season, but he was not in an offense where he excelled.

Both could've been. the change in offense slowed their production down. Devine was recruited by Rod's staff and was supposed to run in a spread attack offense....he would have been very similar to Oregon's James by this season, but he was not in an offense where he excelled.

The system wasn't Devines problems. Its not a coincidence that Shawne Alson was more effective than Devine. WVU ran many of the same running plays out of the spread that they did under Rrod. The difference was that Alston went North-South and had a combo of size and speed. Devine ran East-West. Any unbiased observe could see that.

Why would you offer a guy who ran to Michigan and had already been announced as the offensive coordinator there???????

If he was loyal to WVU.....noone really knows and if we offered him a similar deal to run Offense then maybe he stays. I don't blame him for going, a pay raise, a higher position....why not go?

If he was loyal to WVU.....noone really knows and if we offered him a similar deal to run Offense then maybe he stays. I don't blame him for going, a pay raise, a higher position....why not go?

He should have been smart enough to run off so quickly. There is a good chance that he would have been given a fair shot but he blew that chance.

We don't know what Stewart knew and didn't know. We know that he had multiple goals that weren't met. A lot of which led to the decisioin. OL may have done some behind the scenes work that might not seem right, it's possible. I don't like the moves within season prior to bowl games. Finish out what you start and take care of business after your bowls. However, football has turned that way. WVU had to move fast due to Pitt's interest in Holgerson.

Look, I'm anything but a WVU fan and I know how Luck and his contemporaries treated Stewart while he was in Morgantown. I've had several WVU fans even admit it to me. It's not the world's biggest secret that Luck never liked BS from the beginning. Reality is, he was never given a fair shot at succeeding, and Luck and many of the WVU faithful were just waiting for something to blame on Stewart so they could find a legitimate reason to fire him. WVU inside info is saying that Holgerson is calling all the shots next season except for the defense. I know it's a rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me. Stewart is just along for the ride.

BTW, more rumor is that Holgerson was eliminated from the Pitt head coaching race because of his "lifestyle." Looks like ole Huggins might have him a new drinking partner.

Impressive bowl stint? BCS win, yes impressive, had a different signal caller. Meineke win, fun entertaining win, but not the bowl they should have been at. The gator bowl vs. Bowden, sure it was a tough situation playing a home game for a legendary coach in his last game, but with a very young down team. It should have been a win, the offense was horrible that game. Only 328 yds of total offense. Anyway, Stew was 2-1 in bowl games. He should have had 3 of 4 years in a BCS, instead it was 1. That was a year in which one of the most prolific offenses in football at the time was ran by someone else.

WVU has a shot every year at a BCS and should be in the hunt each year. Sniffing isn't enough, when you should be getting there. Saban followed up that loss with a NC team. That is called job security my friend.

How is an underachieving reality? Why is settling for less than your potential good enough?

I guess you're right that it's not a bowl game unless it's a BCS game. You guys didn't know what a BCS game was until Rodriguez came to Morgantown. If Stewart wins his bowl game, you all will have a 10 win season. Before Rich Rod, a 10 win season would've locked a WVU coach in for a decade, but I digress. Since you all know what a couple BCS victories feel like, I guess you all are an SEC caliber program and a normal bowl game is no longer any good. I really hope Holgerson knows what he's getting himself into.

There are a lot of rational WVU fans out there, but they are always overshadowed by the delusional ones... Maybe Saban will accept the lateral move to Morgantown and take control over the special teams. It might be a good audition for him if he wants the next head coach vacancy! ;)

Yeah, why blame Rich Rod for leaving? :rolleyes:

Because it doesn't support FieldGenerals agenda.

Its ok for Luck to treat a fellow Mountaineer like crap in Coach Stew.

But its just horrible when Rich Rod turns his back on the state of WV.

In my opinion they are equally as wrong.

LOL @ you! That was a pointless post. If I were a lifelong coach and given the opportunity at a major University, the one i've loved my whole life, I would have tried to find an OC that would serve the offense justice. I wouldn't have hired my buddy's friend who coached a good qb to a decent season or two or my buddy down at Georgia that apparently had a hard time with the OL. Apparently Oliver Luck felt the same way, he was in a position to do something about it and did. I applaud him for his work. Do we know all the details of how it went down, no. There is a lot of speculation, but all in all, there were goals, they weren't met, changes are being made. It's not that winning is simple and easy, but using your tools to the best of their ability is simple enough. When you play games and your best playmakers don't touch the ball until the second half, that should raise some eyebrows.

I believe that countless posters have pointed out many of your posts as "clueless" and I only get that implied to me by one poster, you. Does that say you are the only one that knows anything around here and the rest of us are stupid? I doubt it. You've even got a fellow WVU telling you that you don't have a clue.

Once again, how do you know if the tools were being used to the best of their ability??? Just like you guaranteed Pat White was going to by an NFL QB since you knew so much about his ability. You're trying to make it sound like it's easy to win when you are an armchair QB that probably has zero clue how a play needs to work and the timing of it.

Riddle me this since you seem to know how easy it is the win with you players' abilities: Explain to me the basics of a Cover-1 defensive alignment in the 4-3? Also, say you are the QB on offense being shown a Cover-1 alignment and you have a bubble screen called out of a trips left WR with a one back formation. Do you run the play you have called, or do you check to something else??

Riddle me this since you seem to know how easy it is the win with you players' abilities: Explain to me the basics of a Cover-1 defensive alignment in the 4-3? Also, say you are the QB on offense being shown a Cover-1 alignment and you have a bubble screen called out of a trips left WR with a one back formation. Do you run the play you have called, or do you check to something else??

Can I answer this if he doesn't?

Anyone hearing that the whole offensive staff is gone? Including Beatty and Galloway?

I'm no WVU fan, but to dump the two best recruiters on your staff when your new OC has little to no ties to east coast recruiting seems insane to me.

Honestly. Please stop with the 'record' business. I've watched every single game WVU has played since Coach Stew has taken over. About 6 games in person, he wasn't an impressive coach at all, if you would watch WVU play every game, and watch the Big East and other teams play, you would understand why most were not happy with his output as a Head Coach, and Mullen as an OC.

In my mind, I think most WVU fans aren't mad that he did go, it was that way in which he left.

Anyone hearing that the whole offensive staff is gone? Including Beatty and Galloway?

I'm no WVU fan, but to dump the two best recruiters on your staff when your new OC has little to no ties to east coast recruiting seems insane to me.

Our best recruiter ended up in Huntington last year bud ;)

Here's an interesting article for you guys to read.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10350/1111266-100.stm

WVU's Stewart assisted in courtship of new coach

Thursday, December 16, 2010

By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

West Virginia's courtship of football coach Dana Holgorsen didn't exactly happen as some have perceived or as current coach Bill Stewart had characterized it earlier in the week.

It wasn't an operation carried out solely by athletic director Oliver Luck. No, the pursuit of Holgorsen, who was named the Mountaineers' head coach in waiting Wednesday, had been in the works in an official capacity for over a month and Stewart knew exactly what was going on.

On Thursday Dec. 9, Stewart even took a trip to Houston and, with Luck, met with Holgorsen at a hotel there to talk about the transition.

This is in direct contrast with what Stewart told the Post-Gazette on Tuesday. When he was reached by phone on his way to a recruiting trip on Tuesday, Stewart told the Post-Gazette he "wasn't aware of anything" and "had not been in touch with Oliver Luck" and "didn't even know who this Dana fellow was."

In an interview on Wednesday night with the Tulsa World and Post-Gazette newspapers, Holgorsen was asked if he had spoken to Bill Stewart. Holgorsen confirmed that he met with Stewart and Luck last week in Houston.

Luck also confirmed the meeting.

Stewart, when reached today and told that the Post-Gazette had confirmed that he had attended such a meeting in Houston last week, refused to comment.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed that Luck arranged another meeting in the past month between Holgorsen and West Virginia defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel. The two met at an undisclosed location to talk strategy and the impending transition from Stewart as head coach to Holgorsen. Holgorsen will be the offensive coordinator and coach in waiting during the 2011 season and then elevate to head coach in 2012. Casteel will remain on staff even when Holgorsen becomes head coach.

Stewart will remain coach in 2011 then move to an administrative role in the athletic department thereafter until his contract runs out at the end of the 2013 season.

Luck confirmed today that on Nov. 14, the day after West Virginia played --- and defeated --- Cincinnati at home, he made Stewart aware that a change was imminent no matter how the remainder of the season was to play out.

A source close to the situation confirmed that Luck also told Stewart that, under the plan, Holgorsen was the intended target, had been for a few weeks already and West Virginia offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen and offensive line coach Dave Johnson would not be retained at the end of the season.

Luck instructed Stewart to break the news to his two staff members. Luck also told Stewart that if the head coach was uncomfortable doing so, he would tell them.

Stewart assured Luck he would inform them.

According to the same source, Stewart did not break the news to Mullen and Johnson, even though Holgorsen, during their meeting in Houston, told Stewart and Luck that, under no circumstances, would he keep Mullen or Johnson on staff.

Johnson only found out he would be terminated at the end of this season --- which ends following a Dec. 28 bowl game --- after he took the initiative to call Luck, who is his former teammate at West Virginia, on Wednesday.

In the interim, between the time Stewart first found out that Johnson was going to be let go, Johnson passed up two coaching opportunities that were extended to him --- one as a Division II head coach.

It is unclear if Stewart has yet to deliver the news to Mullen.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10350/1111266-100.stm#ixzz18JD8WYJU

you beat me too it...crap..ha ha

Here's an interesting article for you guys to read.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10350/1111266-100.stm

WVU's Stewart assisted in courtship of new coach

Thursday, December 16, 2010

By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

West Virginia's courtship of football coach Dana Holgorsen didn't exactly happen as some have perceived or as current coach Bill Stewart had characterized it earlier in the week.

It wasn't an operation carried out solely by athletic director Oliver Luck. No, the pursuit of Holgorsen, who was named the Mountaineers' head coach in waiting Wednesday, had been in the works in an official capacity for over a month and Stewart knew exactly what was going on.

On Thursday Dec. 9, Stewart even took a trip to Houston and, with Luck, met with Holgorsen at a hotel there to talk about the transition.

This is in direct contrast with what Stewart told the Post-Gazette on Tuesday. When he was reached by phone on his way to a recruiting trip on Tuesday, Stewart told the Post-Gazette he "wasn't aware of anything" and "had not been in touch with Oliver Luck" and "didn't even know who this Dana fellow was."

In an interview on Wednesday night with the Tulsa World and Post-Gazette newspapers, Holgorsen was asked if he had spoken to Bill Stewart. Holgorsen confirmed that he met with Stewart and Luck last week in Houston.

Luck also confirmed the meeting.

Stewart, when reached today and told that the Post-Gazette had confirmed that he had attended such a meeting in Houston last week, refused to comment.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed that Luck arranged another meeting in the past month between Holgorsen and West Virginia defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel. The two met at an undisclosed location to talk strategy and the impending transition from Stewart as head coach to Holgorsen. Holgorsen will be the offensive coordinator and coach in waiting during the 2011 season and then elevate to head coach in 2012. Casteel will remain on staff even when Holgorsen becomes head coach.

Stewart will remain coach in 2011 then move to an administrative role in the athletic department thereafter until his contract runs out at the end of the 2013 season.

Luck confirmed today that on Nov. 14, the day after West Virginia played --- and defeated --- Cincinnati at home, he made Stewart aware that a change was imminent no matter how the remainder of the season was to play out.

A source close to the situation confirmed that Luck also told Stewart that, under the plan, Holgorsen was the intended target, had been for a few weeks already and West Virginia offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen and offensive line coach Dave Johnson would not be retained at the end of the season.

Luck instructed Stewart to break the news to his two staff members. Luck also told Stewart that if the head coach was uncomfortable doing so, he would tell them.

Stewart assured Luck he would inform them.

According to the same source, Stewart did not break the news to Mullen and Johnson, even though Holgorsen, during their meeting in Houston, told Stewart and Luck that, under no circumstances, would he keep Mullen or Johnson on staff.

Johnson only found out he would be terminated at the end of this season --- which ends following a Dec. 28 bowl game --- after he took the initiative to call Luck, who is his former teammate at West Virginia, on Wednesday.

In the interim, between the time Stewart first found out that Johnson was going to be let go, Johnson passed up two coaching opportunities that were extended to him --- one as a Division II head coach.

It is unclear if Stewart has yet to deliver the news to Mullen.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10350/1111266-100.stm#ixzz18JD8WYJU

Because it doesn't support FieldGenerals agenda.

Its ok for Luck to treat a fellow Mountaineer like crap in Coach Stew.

But its just horrible when Rich Rod turns his back on the state of WV.

In my opinion they are equally as wrong.

LOl silly.........I said I don't blame him for leaving....it was how he did it not that he left. Luck didn't treat stew bad.. Stew knew all about it...if anything he failed to inform his two buddies that they would be out of a job.

Edited by fieldgeneral

The system wasn't Devines problems. Its not a coincidence that Shawne Alson was more effective than Devine. WVU ran many of the same running plays out of the spread that they did under Rrod. The difference was that Alston went North-South and had a combo of size and speed. Devine ran East-West. Any unbiased observe could see that.

No the change in the system was problematic. Everything from personell, play calling , to the change in blocking scheme and the coaching in addition to a nagging toe injury that hampered him this season. It's no secret that you want a bigger back to line up in the I and pound the ball. Alston's contributions had nothing to do with speed, it was power period. They tried to run some of the similar plays ....tried being the key word. The problem with that is that when you run an offense you need to have an identity. In other words, you run certain plays to set up others. Our offense never knew what they hell they wanted to do. They jumped from one thing to another so frequently. They never gave anything time to work. Devine lost carries this year as well with the pass heavy offense. Anyway, it was the system or lack of that caused a decrease in stats.

I have season tickets to WVU games and here is my take on fans. (It probably is like this for most teams, but I definitely see it at the games I go to.)

- Noel Devine run up the middle for 1 yard

- Fan reaction: That is a TERRIBLE call.

- Noel Devine run up the middle for 56 yards.

- Fan reaction: Cheering, GREAT CALL!

- Noel Devine sweep left -2 yards.

- Fan reaction: Why do we keep calling that play? How come we never pass the ball??

- Noel Devine sweep left for 22 yards.

- Fan reaction: It's about time we called that play.

- Geno Smith incomplete pass.

- Fan reaction: We just got a 22 yard run, why are we throwing the ball?

- 4th Quarter, WVU up by 14. Run play to Shawne Alston.

- Fan reaction: Why are we just running the ball? We need to win by as many points as possible! Fire Mullen and Stewart.

- 4th Quarter, WVU up by 14. Incomplete pass by Geno Smith.

- Fan reaction: Why are we not running the clock out? We have a two touchdown lead.