WVU to Hire Oklahoma State O coordinator

wvuraiders

I have season tickets to WVU games and here is my take on fans. (It probably is like this for most teams, but I definitely see it at the games I go to.)

- Noel Devine run up the middle for 1 yard

- Fan reaction: That is a TERRIBLE call.

- Noel Devine run up the middle for 56 yards.

- Fan reaction: Cheering, GREAT CALL!

- Noel Devine sweep left -2 yards.

- Fan reaction: Why do we keep calling that play? How come we never pass the ball??

- Noel Devine sweep left for 22 yards.

- Fan reaction: It's about time we called that play.

- Geno Smith incomplete pass.

- Fan reaction: We just got a 22 yard run, why are we throwing the ball?

- 4th Quarter, WVU up by 14. Run play to Shawne Alston.

- Fan reaction: Why are we just running the ball? We need to win by as many points as possible! Fire Mullen and Stewart.

- 4th Quarter, WVU up by 14. Incomplete pass by Geno Smith.

- Fan reaction: Why are we not running the clock out? We have a two touchdown lead.

Ok..........there are these fans with all fan bases.............however this is not what I'm saying. We ran the ball 90% of the time with Rodriguez.....I wasn't complaining! Our offense had an identity. I would hope with season tickets that you understand the importance of having an identity on offense. Jumping from formation to formation just trying to get something to work didn't do it. If you think that our offense was just fine, then you sir are the ignorant one. You can't just get up by 2 scores and sit on it and hope the other team doesn't make adjustments. No excuse for not winning the BE and really we should have beaten LSU at LSU....not an easy feat. Sure there are fairweather fans, but Mullen is an idiot offensively, seems like maybe a good qb coach, but not an OC yet. I've either went to or watched every game as long as I can remember. There were a couple of games years back that weren't on but listened to if not in attendance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have season tickets to WVU games and here is my take on fans. (It probably is like this for most teams, but I definitely see it at the games I go to.)

- Noel Devine run up the middle for 1 yard - It was probably 3rd and 9

- Fan reaction: That is a TERRIBLE call.- It probably was

- Noel Devine run up the middle for 56 yards.- nice run

- Fan reaction: Cheering, GREAT CALL! -Not a great call, probably GREAT execution

- Noel Devine sweep left -2 yards.- It happens

- Fan reaction: Why do we keep calling that play? How come we never pass the ball?? - It was probably 3rd and long

- Noel Devine sweep left for 22 yards. Nice run Noel

- Fan reaction: It's about time we called that play. Ofcourse, running Devine outside is where he's best at

- Geno Smith incomplete pass.

- Fan reaction: We just got a 22 yard run, why are we throwing the ball? Holding on Josh Jenkins made it 1st and 15

- 4th Quarter, WVU up by 14. Run play to Shawne Alston. I love Alston, he reminds me of Q.

- Fan reaction: Why are we just running the ball? We need to win by as many points as possible! Fire Mullen and Stewart. Bullcrap

- 4th Quarter, WVU up by 14. Incomplete pass by Geno Smith. It was probably 3rd and long

- Fan reaction: Why are we not running the clock out? We have a two touchdown lead. Why aren't we running the ball? Our Defense is amazing, take more time off the clock = less time for opponent to score

there ya go

Edited by bluefieldRocks
adg

Ok..........there are these fans with all fan bases.............however this is not what I'm saying. We ran the ball 90% of the time with Rodriguez.....I wasn't complaining! Our offense had an identity. I would hope with season tickets that you understand the importance of having an identity on offense. Jumping from formation to formation just trying to get something to work didn't do it. If you think that our offense was just fine, then you sir are the ignorant one. You can't just get up by 2 scores and sit on it and hope the other team doesn't make adjustments. No excuse for not winning the BE and really we should have beaten LSU at LSU....not an easy feat. Sure there are fairweather fans, but Mullen is an idiot offensively, seems like maybe a good qb coach, but not an OC yet. I've either went to or watched every game as long as I can remember. There were a couple of games years back that weren't on but listened to if not in attendance.

Maybe there are players that were banged up and not at 100%. Maybe some of the players were not as good as they were made out to be. Maybe there are other teams/coaches out there that *GASP* lose games that they should have won!! OMG!!! I can't believe that coaches/players aren't perfect!! (TIC)

Do you really think that an OC sits in the box and looks to the coach next to him and says: "This play we have called right now, there is no way this thing is going to work."

Riddle me this since you seem to know how easy it is the win with you players' abilities: Explain to me the basics of a Cover-1 defensive alignment in the 4-3? Also, say you are the QB on offense being shown a Cover-1 alignment and you have a bubble screen called out of a trips left WR with a one back formation. Do you run the play you have called, or do you check to something else??

1. A Cover-1 defensive alignment out of a 4-3 means that you're playing a LOT of man coverage. Man on the WRs, man on the TE, man on the HB, man on the FB (if one's there). You have 1 man, most likely the FS (occasionally the SS) in a zone. Where he sits in that zone is important to answer #3-#4.

2. The offense is most likely going to be in a simple 2-WR set. The reason being that you're leaving yourself at an awful mismatch against the slot receiver if you try to put an LB on WR3 on the weak side. You might get away with that if WR3 is on the strong side by sliding the SS down into coverage, but a smart OC's not often going to allow that.

3. To answer your hypothetical, I need more information. Down/distance would be important: am I trying to get 1 yard or 15 on 1st or 3rd? What is the defensive formation? A 4-3? 3-3-5 Nickel? 4-1-6 Dime? Am I in a 4-WR set or a 3-WR with TE (all I know is that I have trips left-is there anyone to the right)? What personnel does the defense have spread to that side (CBs or LBs)?

4. To keep it simple, where the FS is playing his zone will likely determine where I'm going on this play if I'm the QB. If the FS is playing an apparent flat weak third in a trips left, I'm audibling out of that play because I'm pretty much running into a 4-on-3 with a proper defensive alignment. If the FS is playing an apparent middle weak half or a deep weak half, then I'm probably going to keep the play as is, if I need anything under 5 yards. Anything longer than that, I'm audibling to another pass play.

I hope this is close to what you had in mind.

Edited by UVAObserver

1. A Cover-1 defensive alignment out of a 4-3 means that you're playing a LOT of man coverage. Man on the WRs, man on the TE, man on the HB, man on the FB (if one's there). You have 1 man, most likely the FS (occasionally the SS) in a zone. Where he sits in that zone is important to answer #3-#4.

2. The offense is most likely going to be in a simple 2-WR set. The reason being that you're leaving yourself at an awful mismatch against the slot receiver if you try to put an LB on WR3 on the weak side. You might get away with that if WR3 is on the strong side by sliding the SS down into coverage, but a smart OC's not often going to allow that.

3. To answer your hypothetical, I need more information. Down/distance would be important: am I trying to get 1 yard or 15 on 1st or 3rd? What is the defensive formation? A 4-3? 3-3-5 Nickel? 4-1-6 Dime? Am I in a 4-WR set or a 3-WR with TE (all I know is that I have trips left-is there anyone to the right)? What personnel does the defense have spread to that side (CBs or LBs)?

4. To keep it simple, where the FS is playing his zone will likely determine where I'm going on this play if I'm the QB. If the FS is playing an apparent flat weak third in a trips left, I'm audibling out of that play because I'm pretty much running into a 4-on-3 with a proper defensive alignment. If the FS is playing an apparent middle weak half or a deep weak half, then I'm probably going to keep the play as is, if I need anything under 5 yards. Anything longer than that, I'm audibling to another pass play.

I hope this is close to what you had in mind.

Yeah, I should have thrown in there a few more details such as you're facing a 3rd and 7 from your 39 yard line and your trips are lined up to the short side of the field. My apologies for that. You answered it very knowledgeably.

I'm just simply stating that most people that are fans of college football don't have a clue on how an offense/defense is supposed to work or the abilities of their players. They know when to cheer and when to be discourage, but they don't understand the "why" of it. Some people get it, some people don't. That's just the way it is. There are a lot of things that go into making any one play successful and they all have to work together.