WVU to Hire Oklahoma State O coordinator

wvuraiders

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be surprised if it turns out to be head coach, 2011...rumor is Stewart does not want him as the OC and that he will tender his resignation after the bowl game...

Only in Morgantown would they force out the winningest coach in his time there in the school's history, who is 2-1 in bowl games, including a BCS victory. I know it's all speculation, but its no secret that Bill Stewart is "cutting it" for the Mountaineers. IMO, a dangerous move for Oliver Luck and Co. to force out Stewart who is succeeding there for an unproven and lifetime assistant coach in Holgerson.

Only in Morgantown would they force out the winningest coach in his time there in the school's history, who is 2-1 in bowl games, including a BCS victory. I know it's all speculation, but its no secret that Bill Stewart is "cutting it" for the Mountaineers. IMO, a dangerous move for Oliver Luck and Co. to force out Stewart who is succeeding there for an unproven and lifetime assistant coach in Holgerson.

There are a lot of WVU fans, including myself that are very angry at how Oliver Luck has handled this.

WVU high level donors were never happy with Stewart and a lot of fans have been unhappy with Stew & Mullen this season. Not to mention the banner that was flying around the WVU stadium that read: "Fire Stewart"

That's college football today.

Edited by bhs7695

"His" BCS win was with Calvin McGee calling the offense....IMO, he should have been given the OC or given a shot at HC then. Anyway, Stew is a tremendous person and I hope will stay with the program in some way. I don't think that he will, but maybe he will just need some time to cool off. Stew had Doc Holliday to guide him the previous seasons, but not this year. Stew can organize and present a team, but he is not the leader needed. He was a fill in and was hired emotionally after a big win that he "rallied the troops." He got credit and should to an extent. He hasn't returned to a BCS game since. He won the Meineke car care bowl and the Fiesta and lost last year to FSU in the Gator. If you look at this year's team, they would have been undefeated with any offense. A top 5 defense carried this team all year long. Stew's hire was Mullen and the kid was handed the keys to a Ferrari and totaled it! Now it's being rebuilt and look out next year.

After the UCONN GAME:

We are 7-5 in our last 12 games vs Div I opponents

* We are 4-3 in our last 7 conference games

* We have scored 24 or less points in 10 of those last 12 games.

Now , we won our remaining 4 conference games and realize that it makes things look a lot better, however, I'm sure you agree that the BE was down this year. Had we been able to put up some points without relying so heavily on the defense, WE would have been undefeated including....YES......a win in Baton Rouge!

The numbers don't lie.......we were not living up to our potential.....With the offensive weapons we have, there should be points in abundance.

Fieldgeneral,

There are some inaccuracies in your post.

1. The whole idea that Doc Holliday "guided" Coach Stew is completely false and overall an ignorant statement.

2. WVU should have given Magee the HC or OC position? This is the same guy who was introduced as Michigans next OC before he even coached his last game as a Mountaineer. He is also the same guy who later made false racial accusations against the WVU administration.

3. The offensive talent after the Fiesta Bowl season is not even close to being compared to a Ferrari.

"His" BCS win was with Calvin McGee calling the offense....IMO, he should have been given the OC or given a shot at HC then. Anyway, Stew is a tremendous person and I hope will stay with the program in some way. I don't think that he will, but maybe he will just need some time to cool off.

For you to even hope that Stewart would stick around after being treated like he is right now, I don't know if it would do any justice to even respond to your post. Love him, hate him, whatever, but Oliver Luck pulled one of snakiest moves that you could pull and it is a blatant slap in the face to Stewart. The term "Coach in waiting" is something that is vested with time, like the case with Bud Foster at Tech, Jimbo Fisher at FSU, and the Texas fairytale that was Muschamp. The Holgerson hire was nothing more than a final push out the door to BS. What incentives are there for Stewart to stick around? He's basically a lame duck now with no opportunity for advancement. Why work? IMO, there's no way at all that Stewart sticks around after the bowl game, and that's even stretching it.

He got credit and should to an extent. He hasn't returned to a BCS game since. He won the Meineke car care bowl and the Fiesta and lost last year to FSU in the Gator.

Downplay it if you will, but BS had a pretty impressive bowl stint. A BCS victory, a tough win against UNC that was played in UNC's home state, and a tough loss to FSU in Bobby Bowden's farewell game in, again, FSU's home state. Florida State would've probably beat just about anyone that game because of the emotions riding on a victory.

You act like WVU hasn't sniffed a BCS game since Rodriguez left. Stewart was ONE game and/or play away from returning to a BCS game again this year. If a.) South Florida would've helped you guys out last weekend or b.) no fumble inside on the goal line by Clark against UConn then you guys would be conference champions right now. According to your standards, Nick Saban should be in hot water next season if he doesn't reach a BCS game. Yes, he won a national title, but he also lost to Utah in a BCS game a couple years ago and isn't going to one this season. Circle the wagons!

The numbers don't lie.......we were not living up to our potential.....With the offensive weapons we have, there should be points in abundance.

Honestly, I believe you all are just having a hard time adjusting back to reality. No school consistently puts up 500 yards of offense like WVU did a couple years ago. Those teams were special. As good as the current players are, it's extremely hard to replace Reynaud, Slaton, Schmitt, and arguably the greatest player in school history, Pat White. Believing otherwise might be considered delusion.

Very good pick up for WVU.

We all knew it was happening sooner or later. Ollie will not put up with mediocre seasons in a conference in which talent wise, WVU should win year in and year out. Seems like the coaching staff was happy with 8-9 win seasons. In any other big conference im cool with 9 wins. In the Big East, it shouldn't be too hard to go undefeated against conference opponents. I agree with the move and i'm thrilled about it.

What incentives are there for Stewart to stick around? He's basically a lame duck now with no opportunity for advancement. Why work? IMO, there's no way at all that Stewart sticks around after the bowl game, and that's even stretching it.

$983,000 will be the reason he sticks around for next season...I'm sure it will help with his retirement fund

Unless WVU plans to go ahead and pay him the rest of his contract for basically forcing him out the door...

$983,000 will be the reason he sticks around for next season...I'm sure it will help with his retirement fund

Unless WVU plans to go ahead and pay him the rest of his contract for basically forcing him out the door...

I've been sitting around on bluegoldnews.com waiting on full details...and reading this board. I am torn on what is being done. Do we know all the details...no...What does stewart think and what will he do? We shall find out soon. He was born and raised in WV and loves the university and represented it well with class and was respected as a person by his peers but not as a Head coach. It will be an interesting few days

I agree that he would lose a considerable amount monetarily if he were to resign, but at the same time, he'd probably have a relative easy time finding a job of some capacity elsewhere. Three straight 9 win seasons and a couple of bowl wins, including a BCS bowl victory, still leaves you standing on a good foot no matter the circumstances. Not many college coaches can say that.

Regardless, Stewart is still the head coach for another season and I hope he tries his damnedest to let this new OC and everyone else know that the program is still his ship and he will call every shot all season long, perhaps even the offense. If that happens, WVU can fire him and he would still be paid because of the termination of a contract. If I were BS, I'd show my ass on the way out the door too just to complement the way I was treated.

Edited by hokie07

Coach Stewart was the lowest paying coach in the Big East anyways. And that's just it Hokie07, we don't know how he was asked to resign/step down or whatever. None of those details have been released to the public yet. Just like the whole Rich Rod ordeal though, the details will come out. I feel bad for the guy, but him and Mullen were not getting the job done. I'll leave it at that.

"His" BCS win was with Calvin McGee calling the offense....IMO, he should have been given the OC or given a shot at HC then. Anyway, Stew is a tremendous person and I hope will stay with the program in some way. I don't think that he will, but maybe he will just need some time to cool off. Stew had Doc Holliday to guide him the previous seasons, but not this year. Stew can organize and present a team, but he is not the leader needed. He was a fill in and was hired emotionally after a big win that he "rallied the troops." He got credit and should to an extent. He hasn't returned to a BCS game since. He won the Meineke car care bowl and the Fiesta and lost last year to FSU in the Gator. If you look at this year's team, they would have been undefeated with any offense. A top 5 defense carried this team all year long. Stew's hire was Mullen and the kid was handed the keys to a Ferrari and totaled it! Now it's being rebuilt and look out next year.

After the UCONN GAME:

We are 7-5 in our last 12 games vs Div I opponents

* We are 4-3 in our last 7 conference games

* We have scored 24 or less points in 10 of those last 12 games.

Now , we won our remaining 4 conference games and realize that it makes things look a lot better, however, I'm sure you agree that the BE was down this year. Had we been able to put up some points without relying so heavily on the defense, WE would have been undefeated including....YES......a win in Baton Rouge!

Since you are making it out to be so simple to win, then why are you out winning fifteen national championships in a row as a head coach since it seems so easy to you??

Why on this planet would WVU brand Stewart as a lame-duck coach, and why on this planet would Stewart just roll over and accept it?

lots of people excited and alot of people divided on this....one way or the other I know Bill Stewart will handle this with class...is he kind of a goober..yeah..but so am I...I for one and know many others who appreciated his efforts and his love for our great state.

Why on this planet would WVU brand Stewart as a lame-duck coach, and why on this planet would Stewart just roll over and accept it?

At his age, you accept it because the parachute is golden.

1. He was associate HC....so yes, he was a tremendous help on the sidelines for Stew.

2. Why not give him a shot at least at OC? He proved in the Fiesta bowl, he was capable of that role. Why was he not considered a candidate for HC? Stew was an emotional hire, I supported it, but glad it's over.

3. Yes, a Ferrari......Pat White, Steve Slaton (left for nfl), Noel Devine, Jock Sanders....etc. Those names alone would make any OC salivate. Your opinion versus mine......The offense was undergoing change to a more pass heavy offense and shouldn't have. It was slowed down from it's speed based run first offense. So , yes, letting Mullen take the offense over after not being a DI OC, was like handing over the keys to a high powered car (Ferraro) to a 16 year old. He didn't know it's capability or it's power.

Fieldgeneral,

There are some inaccuracies in your post.

1. The whole idea that Doc Holliday "guided" Coach Stew is completely false and overall an ignorant statement.

2. WVU should have given Magee the HC or OC position? This is the same guy who was introduced as Michigans next OC before he even coached his last game as a Mountaineer. He is also the same guy who later made false racial accusations against the WVU administration.

3. The offensive talent after the Fiesta Bowl season is not even close to being compared to a Ferrari.

1. He was associate HC....so yes, he was a tremendous help on the sidelines for Stew.

2. Why not give him a shot at least at OC? He proved in the Fiesta bowl, he was capable of that role. Why was he not considered a candidate for HC? Stew was an emotional hire, I supported it, but glad it's over.

3. Yes, a Ferrari......Pat White, Steve Slaton (left for nfl), Noel Devine, Jock Sanders....etc. Those names alone would make any OC salivate. Your opinion versus mine......The offense was undergoing change to a more pass heavy offense and shouldn't have. It was slowed down from it's speed based run first offense. So , yes, letting Mullen take the offense over after not being a DI OC, was like handing over the keys to a high powered car (Ferraro) to a 16 year old. He didn't know it's capability or it's power.

Once again you have NO clue what went on behind the scenes. He WAS considered but the second he went with Rich to the Michigan press conference and was introduced as the new offensive coordinator then his shot was gone. No one to blame but himself. And its damn good that we didn't offer a guy who ended up lying about racism. If you think he should have been offered a position then you are ignorant.

Since you are making it out to be so simple to win, then why are you out winning fifteen national championships in a row as a head coach since it seems so easy to you??

LOL @ you! That was a pointless post. If I were a lifelong coach and given the opportunity at a major University, the one i've loved my whole life, I would have tried to find an OC that would serve the offense justice. I wouldn't have hired my buddy's friend who coached a good qb to a decent season or two or my buddy down at Georgia that apparently had a hard time with the OL. Apparently Oliver Luck felt the same way, he was in a position to do something about it and did. I applaud him for his work. Do we know all the details of how it went down, no. There is a lot of speculation, but all in all, there were goals, they weren't met, changes are being made. It's not that winning is simple and easy, but using your tools to the best of their ability is simple enough. When you play games and your best playmakers don't touch the ball until the second half, that should raise some eyebrows.