Virginia Tech vs. Stanford

vthokies4life

Guys, I'm still trying to figure out what happened. The second half began, then... game over.

And I refuse to say Tech had a "great" year. You don't lose to JMU and get blown out in a bowl game and consider it a "great" year. That word is getting thrown out waaaaay too much by Tech faithful this morning.

Thoughts? I need to hear what you all think about Tech's season, this game, etc.

Lou Holtz said it best when he said that Tech is like a bunch of bullies who beat up on the little guys until they face someone as tough as they are. Absent JMU, Tech didn't play down to their competition this year, nor do they usually. However, as per usual (1-25 vs. top 5 teams), they didn't play up to their competition either. Some of Tech's players seemed to roll over, throw mouthpieces, hands in the air, etc. after they started to get beat. Stanford seemed to be a more class operation than the Hokies. That being said, Tech had their typical year--they win their conference and get mauled in the big game.

VT is what VT is, to put it colloquially. The play the most consistent level of football I've ever seen, save the few shocking losses (JMU) and the only win against a Top 5 team (#3 Miami). The downside of playing that consistent is that VT seldom seems to rise to the occasion against elite competition; VT is 1-27 against Top-5 opponents now. VT is also prone to be outcoached against elite coaching staffs, and I am still in awe of just how badly Stanford outcoached VT last night, especially against VT's defense. It's as if Foster never taught VT's defense how to react to shifts.

Honestly, I think VT fans would be wise to come to the realization of just what VT is: a Top-15 team that can win 10 games/season in a poor conference but will very seldom ever make a serious national championship run.

Stanford was a really good team. They where probably the best coached team I have seen this year. They have alot of smart hard nosed kids who understand what the coaching staff wants. Then you throw in Luck who is a special player and a few good RB's and they could beat anyone on a given day.

There is nothing to hang your head about losing to them. But I do think Va Tech is a little overated year in year out because the ACC.

They win that leauge. They beat alot of good teams to do it. But the problem is there isn't any elite teams in the conference. I mean year in year out the SEC has two great teams. This year Auburn and Alabama. Although I think LSU, Miss. St., and Arkansas could have won the ACC. The Big 12 has Oklahoma and Texas usually. They have also had Nebraska and Oklahoma St. I think three of those teams could have won the ACC this year. The Pac 10 has Orgeon and Stanford this year but usually USC is a power. The ACC doesn't have that. Big 10 Ohio St. Which usually is better than Va Tech.

The ACC is 2-11 in BCS games. Va Tech who has dominated the conference for the most part is 1-27 vs. the top 5. There are several good teams just no great teams year in year out. Till Miami and FSU get back to where they used to be it will continue to be that way.

The ACC is 2-11 in BCS games. Va Tech who has dominated the conference for the most part is 1-27 vs. the top 5. There are several good teams just no great teams year in year out. Till Miami and FSU get back to where they used to be it will continue to be that way.

I think FSU is closer to it and I for one am glad to see it.

As a Tech fan I will say what I know I saw last night. Tech was out coached and out played last night. The 350 play thing was a head game. They scored 3 TDs on the same play with the double tight ends crossing the middle of the field with only one defender to try and cover. The five guys in motion left the defense out of position on the running plays, which were basically the same play.

On D, Stanfords corners did a great job in coverage and allowed them to both blitz and play outside contain stuffing the run. That left Tyrod to try and make plays under pressure with no time.

As for Luck, the nearest I can compare him to in college would have to be Peyton Manning. A special talent with a great grasp of the game and his abilities.

I will agree with VOL61 that Stanford was the best coached team I've seen all year. In the second half, they were just toying with Tech.

That said, I expect Tech's coaching staff to study this game film and improve. A painful lose, but a learning experience.

As for Luck, the nearest I can compare him to in college would have to be Peyton Manning. A special talent with a great grasp of the game and his abilities.

He's good but I don't know that he's earned Manning status. After all, the big plays he converted through the air against us were to wide-freaking-open receivers. Rex Grossman would have had field day.

Luck is good though. Matt Ryan good.

He's good but I don't know that he's earned Manning status. After all, the big plays he converted through the air against us were to wide-freaking-open receivers. Rex Grossman would have had field day.

Luck is good though. Matt Ryan good.

Notice that I said in college. Luck's complete season is outstanding. As for Grossman, he would have been stripped and fumbled at least 3 times last night. College Manning was not the NFL Hall of Famer you see today. Even Matty Ice good will make you rich.

Notice that I said in college. Luck's complete season is outstanding. As for Grossman, he would have been stripped and fumbled at least 3 times last night. College Manning was not the NFL Hall of Famer you see today. Even Matty Ice good will make you rich.

Manning was a hall of famer in college if there ever was one. When he left he was the winningest QB in the history of the SEC at 39-5. Held two NCAA passing records and seven SEC records. Including Passing yards, comp. %, Interception %, etc. etc.

Was a concenus first team all american. Won the Johnny Unitas award and was ripped out of the heismen.

He won one SEC title in 97. If not for Danny Wuerffel and UF. He would have had more. But anyone who says Peyton Manning wasn't a Hall of Famer at any level don't know crap about football.

Manning was a hall of famer in college if there ever was one. When he left he was the winningest QB in the history of the SEC at 39-5. Held two NCAA passing records and seven SEC records. Including Passing yards, comp. %, Interception %, etc. etc.

Was a concenus first team all american. Won the Johnny Unitas award and was ripped out of the heismen.

He won one SEC title in 97. If not for Danny Wuerffel and UF. He would have had more. But anyone who says Peyton Manning wasn't a Hall of Famer at any level don't know crap about football.

+1

Please read post more carefully. I said Manning was not the NFL Hall of Famer he is now when he was in college. (He has learned a thing or two in the NFL.)

Not surprised by the overreaction. No Vol fan will miss a chance to defend Manning, even when he isn't being criticized.

Just to put a dig in that is intended, I don't remember ever seeing Manning making throat slashing gestures at UT or Indy. But maybe having watched that kind of behavior from the U for years it just sticks in my craw, especially in light of the number of times it and the salute were done and not flagged.

Edited by Hacker

Honestly, I think VT fans would be wise to come to the realization of just what VT is: a Top-15 team that can win 10 games/season in a poor conference but will very seldom ever make a serious national championship run.

I realized that a long time ago. The VT coaching staff is going to point to 10 win seasons and conference championships as the biggest accomplishments each year. They also look at bowl games as rewards for a good seasons. Beamer keeps saying each time an opportunity presents itself: "It's about time we will one of these things!" No wins yet boss....

I've known for a while now it isn't going to change. Regardless of that empty trophy case in Merriman Center and all the stuff around the athletic department that says: "Preparing to win the national championship." I don't see it happening. They can't beat a simple team in the top 10 and several times have been blown out badly.

It is was it is.

Stanford is a good football team. If any non VT follower watched that game last night, they would never know that VT had three NFL caliber running backs on the field. Amazing.

Edited by bhs7695

Here is the latest blog post by Kyle Tucker of hamptonroads.com. He makes some good points and gives the raw quotes from players and coaches after the game. Solid read.

http://hamptonroads.com/blogs/kyle-tucker

Well, Hokies, that just about wraps up my football blogging from this season. Virginia Tech went out with a whimper last night in the Orange Bowl.

Despite QB Tyrod Taylor’s scratching, clawing, dazzling performance in the first half that kept the Hokies close, Stanford simply manhandled Tech in the second half to turn a one-point lead at the break into a 40-12 throttling. We haven’t seen Frank Beamer’s team so thoroughly dominated since the 2007 game against LSU.

Kind of interesting, isn’t it, that Taylor’s great career began with that beat-down and ended with this last one? The kid certainly deserved a better exit than that. But there were sure similarities between his first and last games.

The offensive line’s inability to protect Sean Glennon in Baton Rouge that night in 2007 forced Taylor’s career to start earlier than it was supposed to. (Think about that, if you can stomach it, Tech fans. He would’ve been BACK next year.) And the offensive line let him down again against the Cardinal, allowing eight sacks and getting zero push in the running game.

And that LSU game was the worst I’ve ever seen Virginia Tech’s defense play. Last night’s performance was right up there. While Stanford’s QB, Andrew Luck, is a legitimate No. 1 NFL pick ... he didn’t have to be when the Hokies left his tight end wide open for three long touchdowns – and gave up 116 rushing yards on two carries, on of which was by the third-string tailback.

Those disastrous moments and the bitter final result no doubt remove a good deal of the shine from Tech’s 11-game winning streak that led them to the Orange Bowl. This team looked more like the one that started the season 0-2. So what went wrong? It’s hard to say. Perhaps Stanford is simply that much better than the Hokies.

But isn’t that hard to believe, even if it’s true? The Cardinal was 1-11 in 2006. In four years, coach Jim Harbaugh was able to get them to 12-1, a top-five finish and have them prepared to demolish the ACC’s champion? How long will it take for Tech to be that team? A 1-27 record against the top five – 1-19 under Beamer, 1-11 when the Hokies are also ranked – suggests it has been a long, long time coming. But when is it coming?

It would be hard to believe that’ll be next season. While the Hokies lose just seven senior starters, Taylor and CB Rashad Carmichael and DT John Graves are among them. They were the heart of this year’s team. And tailbacks Ryan Williams and Darren Evans might both be bolting early for the NFL.

Williams said the NFL advisory committee has told him he’d be a first- or second-round pick if he comes out this year. Evans has heard he’ll be a fourth- to seventh-round selection. The two backs, who are good friends, said last night that they’ll likely hold a joint press conference this week to announce their intentions.

That could provide one last bitter pill for Hokies fans to swallow. But then it’ll be all optimism and roses again soon enough. Spring practice, which will provide a chance to evaluate Taylor’s replacement, Logan Thomas, is just three months away.

And I’ll be right back here keeping you posted. Until then, if you want further details on last night’s game – and its turning points – read my game story here. And for columnist Tom Robinson’s take on Taylor’s brilliant touchdown throw and the disaster that followed, check it out here.

For full locker-room reaction from Tech’s players and coaches -- including Evans and Williams on their decision, Taylor on the end of his career and David Wilson on his suspension -- scroll down ...

COACH FRANK BEAMER

OPENING REMARKS: “They just played better than we did. I think they played better offensively as a unit. I think they played better defensively as a unit. And I think they played better on special teams as a unit. I think you give them credit.

“It was right there and then just a couple of long plays against our defense, and then the game got away from us a little bit. Had them backed up, and felt like if we just hold them, we're one play from getting back in it. But then we got two scores down and it got away from us a little bit.â€

ON THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF NOT FINISHING IT OFF WITH A WIN: “The important thing to remember now is we had some great effort, we had some great plays. Tyrod had a lot of great plays. This football team had a lot of great plays. And I really believe we were right there and it got away from us there in the second half. That's disappointing. But I don't think it’s lack of effort -- I think it was lack of execution on our part, and that's Stanford. But I don't think you can just take away from all the great things Tyrod and his guys did because we're very, very disappointed right now.â€

ON QB TYROD TAYLOR’S CAREER: “This guy has been good. He's not only a great player, he's a great person, and I'm proud he was at Virginia Tech.â€

ON WHETHER HE FEELS A SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY TO REPRESENT THE ACC BETTER: “I'm disappointed that we didn't pull our end of the deal for the ACC. But again, I don't think it was a bad effort; it was just not as good execution as we need. I don't apologize for the effort we played with. I feel bad for our football team and for our fans and for the ACC that we didn't play better, that we didn't function better. But the same kids that I loved before this game, I love them after. They've given a lot. Getting that ACC Championship, I mean, there was a lot of effort and hard work going into that. I'm not going to forget all that.â€

ON THE HOKIES’ INABILITY TO RUN THE BALL ON STANFORD: “We definitely need to run the ball better. Again, you give them credit. I thought they did a great job filling gaps. But you know, early in the year against Boise we had trouble running the football, and you just -- you get yourself in 2nd and 9 and that's a hard way to live. And then we were hoping to spread them out a little bit and do a little optioning, and when you get behind by a couple touchdowns you kind of run out of time a little bit, I think. But it's disappointing that we weren't more efficient offensively as far as being able to run the football and then being able to mix a run and a throw in there.â€

QB TYROD TAYLOR

ON HOW HARD THE LOSS IS TO SWALLOW IN HIS FINAL GAME: “Real tough. It’s hard to find words for the emotions right now. I’m kind of blank-minded. This is a great team that had a lot of great memories this year, did a lot of great things. We just didn’t finish it the way we wanted to.â€

ON HOW TOUGH IT IS TO BE BLOWN OUT: “That’s not a reflection on our season. It’s just a reflection on how we played today. We just didn’t play well today. We had a great season. A lot of people counted us out. We weren’t supposed to be in the Orange Bowl. But we played in it. Just not the way we should’ve.â€

ON HIS CRAZY TOUCHDOWN PASS: “I flushed out to the left. I knew I had guys that were working to get open in the back of the end zone. I saw Jarrett at the last second in the back of the end zone. If David didn’t catch it, Jarrett would’ve caught it. David stole it. That was just him being hungry, not being able to play in the first quarter, going out there and making a play. But I just tried to keep the play alive.â€

ON WHAT STANFORD’S COACH WAS SAYING TO HIM AFTER THAT PLAY: “The whole sideline was telling me I was out of bounds, so I asked him, ‘Was I in or out?’ He said, ‘You were in.’ â€

ON ALL THE SACKS AN INABILITY TO RUN: “Their switching (defensive) fronts was kind of confusing to me and the linemen as far as protection-wise.â€

ON HIS INTERCEPTION: “I just didn’t see the safety. It was a bad play on my part. I’ll own up to that. I pride myself on not turning the ball over. Any turnover I have, it will sting, stay in my head. I didn’t let it hang in my head too bad, but looking back now, that was a big point in the game. But it’s not the reason we lost the game.â€

ON HOW GOOD THE 2011 HOKIES COULD BE: “I have full faith in my boys. See, I still call them my boys like I’m still the leader, even though I’m moving on now. But I know they have the heart to go out there and compete with any team. I’m looking forward to watching them play next year.â€

ON HIS REPLACEMENT AT QB, LOGAN THOMAS: “A leader. A natural leader. He’s a playmaker. He can move the pocket even though he’s 6-6. He has a strong arm. I’m looking forward to him doing big things next year.â€

ON THE BEST MEMORIES OF HIS CAREER: “I would just have to say just the whole four years. There's a lot of good memories in there. I would say Nebraska may be the best one. But there's a lot of memories in there. I can't put my finger on just one, but Nebraska stands out to me, and the win against Florida State my freshman year. Even just the 11-win streak that we had this year stands out, too.â€

RB DARREN EVANS

ON NOT HAVING MUCH ROOM TO RUN: “They were just physical. They were basically more physical than us. They made it tough for us to even read the way to go. They just jumped on us and didn’t let go.â€

ON HIS NFL DECISION: “It’s kind of hard to make a decision right now when we just got manhandled like we did. I can’t even think about myself. I think of people like Tyrod and the seniors. They didn’t go out the way they wanted to. If I was in that situation, I would be upset.â€

ON NOT WANTING TO GO OUT THIS WAY HIMSELF: “Oh, hell no. Especially not the way the score was, them dancing around and all that. That’s tough to swallow. You just hate to think about your selfish needs when this has happened. This is tough.â€

ON WHEN HE’LL DECIDE ON THE NFL: “I have to have it in by the 10th. Me and Ryan are going to try to do something (a press conference) together.â€

RB RYAN WILLIAMS

ON STANFORD’S DEFENSE BEING IN TECH’S BACKFIELD ALL NIGHT: “It happened throughout the game a lot. They were a great defense, man. I don’t have to sit here and tell you. It was right there on the screen.â€

ON THIS NOT BEING HOW THE SENIORS WANTED TO GO OUT: “It’s not how I want to go out either.â€

ON WHETHER THIS GAME’S RESULT AFFECTS HIS DECISION AT ALL: “Nah. It doesn’t.â€

ON THE DECISION: “We (he and Evans) plan on making our decision either (Jan.) 6th or 7th.â€

ON HOW STUNNING THE SECOND HALF WAS: “Very stunning, but Stanford is a helluva team. You can’t take nothing away from what that team did. Whatever they did offensively and whatever they did defensively was great. They were the better team tonight, from play one to the end of the game.â€

ON GETTING BLOWN OUT: “I feel pretty bad about the loss. You don’t ever want to lose like that. Since I’ve been here, we haven’t taken a loss like that. Every loss I’ve taken has been two touchdowns or less. This one was 28 points. That’s crazy. They prepared better than us.â€

ON WHETHER HE’S CLOSE TO A DECISION ON THE NFL: “To be honest, I just put it behind me until this game. Now I’m going to start process everything, talking to my family and everything. This is where I’m going to start thinking about it.â€

LB BRUCE TAYLOR

ON THE BIG PLAYS THE BROKE ON TECH: “An average quarterback doesn’t make that completion. But he really made us pay when we made mental errors. There’s no excuses. Everything we saw tonight is what we saw on film. We just didn’t execute. The plan was simple. We flat-out didn’t execute.â€

ON THE BIG RUNNING PLAYS: “It’s just all about execution. There’s nothing really much else to say about it. We had a great week of practice. Tonight just wasn’t our night.â€

ON WHETHER THE SUSPENSIONS THIS WEEK WERE A DISTRACTION: “For me, I don’t feel like it was. But I feel like as a team, yeah, it kind of was. That was a big deal. That came out of nowhere. But we don’t make excuses. We just didn’t execute.â€

ON FEELING SHARP COMING INTO THE GAME: “Definitely. We had a great week of practice and everything was clicking. Everyone was flying around. That first half, they hit a few plays, but overall I think we were doing pretty good. The second half, we just didn’t adjust to what they were doing and they hit some more big plays on us.â€

ON HOW THIS SEASON WILL BE REMEMBERED AFTER THIS BIG LOSS: “I’m real proud of this team for coming back from where we were. I feel honored to be on this team with this group of seniors. They fought to the last down. Things didn’t always go our way. We were resilient and came back a lot of those times. But tonight we played a great team and just dug too deep a hole.â€

ON HOW GOOD NEXT YEAR’S TEAM COULD BE WITH ONLY SEVEN STARTERS LEAVING ON OFFENSE AND DEFENSE (ALTHOUGH SOME GOOD ONES): “We’re going to pick up where these guys left off, these seniors. We’re just going to continue what they started. It’s Virginia Tech. We’re not just a fluke school. We win every year. We’ve just got to keep up this tradition. Our core is coming back. We just have to focus, hit the weights hard, and be ready.â€

RB DAVID WILSON

ON WHETHER HE STOLE THAT CRAZY TD CATCH FROM WR JARRETT BOYKIN: “I don’t know. The ball was in the air, so I grabbed it. I’m not going to let it pass me. He said, ‘I was right behind you.’ â€

ON HOW HUNGRY HE WAS TO MAKE A PLAY AFTER THE FIRST-QUARTER SUSPENSION: “Extra hungry. After I heard what my suspension was going to be, I just said I’m going to give it my all in (quarters) 2, 3, 4.â€

ON BEING THE LAST GUY ANYONE THOUGHT WOULD GET SUSPENDED: “I know. I was still in the hotel (by curfew). I thought that’s all I had to do, be in the hotel. It wasn’t like I was out in the strip club. I was still in the hotel. In the lobby. It was me and seven other players.â€

ON WHO CAME AND GOT THEM: “Coach Wiles. He just told us to get in our room. We thought that was it until we woke up. They sent them home and suspended us.â€

ON WHICH SIX PLAYERS WERE SENT BACK ON THE BUS: “A lot of them were redshirts. Telvion (Clark), Ricardo (Young), that’s the only ones I know.â€

ON TAYLOR’S EFFORT ON THAT QB THROW: “That’s just like him to do something like that.â€

ON HOW MUCH TECH WILL MISS TAYLOR IN 2011: “A lot. Any time a team gets a new quarterback, it’s a big change for the offense. So we’ll see what kind of chemistry we can build in the spring. No matter where you put (backup QB Logan Thomas), I know he’s going to be ready. He’s hungry to get on the field.â€

ON WHETHER THE LOSS SPOILS THE SEASON: “I definitely wish we could’ve won this game, but it didn’t spoil the season because we still came back from an 0-2 and won 11 straight and are ACC champions.â€

Guest The Variable
Please read post more carefully. I said Manning was not the NFL Hall of Famer he is now when he was in college. (He has learned a thing or two in the NFL.)

Not surprised by the overreaction. No Vol fan will miss a chance to defend Manning, even when he isn't being criticized.

Just to put a dig in that is intended, I don't remember ever seeing Manning making throat slashing gestures at UT or Indy. But maybe having watched that kind of behavior from the U for years it just sticks in my craw, especially in light of the number of times it and the salute were done and not flagged.

Around my fellow Colts fans I have to deal with this relentlessly.

Its a well known fact that Joe Montana was the greatest human being to exist who did not appear in the Bible.

So when trying to tell Colts fans that this is the case, I am routinely reminded of Peytons ability to run the offense by himself. They always forget that Manning has a tendancy to choke in the playoffs. While Joe Montana sits with 4 wins and 3 MVPs and a perfect superbowl record. Oh and when everyone talks about how he had so many weapons, he also returned to a team (Kansas City) that had nobody worth talking about at wide out after suffering what many called a career ending injury and made JJ Birden look like the next John Taylor for 2 years and took them to 2 playoff births and 1 AFC title game.

My comments on the game...

1) Stanford was just bigger, better, and badder than VT in every way. They flat out whipped VT on the field and on the sidelines (coaching).

2) With that being said...I still don't think the VT coaches, nor the players, were even close to being prepared for this bowl game. Same ol' shit, different bowl season...

3) Even in the first half while Tech was still in the game, it didn't seem like some of the VT players wanted to be there...maybe that goes back to not being prepared, I don't know...

4) I honestly expected this year's effort to be like last year's effort vs. Tennessee. However, once I heard about some of the players breaking curfew earlier in the week, I knew it was going to be another bowl ass-kicking. I even told UVAO in the chat box that Stanford was a sure winner...I just hope he bet the house on it...

...and that's all I've got to say about that...

I even told UVAO in the chat box that Stanford was a sure winner...I just hope he bet the house on it...

I did bet Stanford -3. My "magic number" was 4.5.

Reminds me of when I saw Deron Washington and Coleman Collins come in the hotel with 2 cases of Natty Light when I was in Columbus for the 2007 NCAAs. I did everything short of forcing people to take Southern Illinois +4.5. So when they played like their shoes were made of lead the next day, I knew why...

Guest The Variable
I did bet Stanford -3. My "magic number" was 4.5.

Reminds me of when I saw Deron Washington and Coleman Collins come in the hotel with 2 cases of Natty Light when I was in Columbus for the 2007 NCAAs. I did everything short of forcing people to take Southern Illinois +4.5. So when they played like their shoes were made of lead the next day, I knew why...

Ahhh reminds me of the days of Drunkenmiller and those wild nights of date rape and sexual assault.

Whatever happened to that guy after he went to San Fran to shame the legacy of great QBs?

Ahhh reminds me of the days of Drunkenmiller and those wild nights of date rape and sexual assault.

Whatever happened to that guy after he went to San Fran to shame the legacy of great QBs?

Pat Forde had one of those "Forde Yard Dash" articles, and in one he asked for an update on Druckenmiller (or Drunkenmiller, pun intended). Someone told where he was, but for the life of me I can't remember what they said.