As of mid-season..

wave316

As of mid-season who are the best basketball players in Southwest VA. Looks like the Arnold kid of Gate City is having a great year, Forrest Stuart of Appalachia, Maggard of Lee High, Tyler Garrison of Powell Valley. Any others in your opinion who are looking good mid-season 2011.

The Hogo is weak this year but there are a handful of good players...

Rhett Sturgill, Conner Hayden - Chilhowie

Andrew Groves - Patrick Henry

Matt Thompson, Aaron Spradlin - Rural Retreat

Asaiah Fullen, Isaac Balthazar, Hardy Lester - George Wythe

I have only seen a couple of games so far this year. I was impressed with Cody Justus from Grundy. He shot the 3 quite well against Richlands!! Austin Johnson for Richlands has looked good also. Devon Johnson is a rebounding machine

Technically it is midseason on the calendar. Some teams schedules are back heavy because of delay due to football playoffs

Yes ,and the weather has been really tough also, looks like were scheduled to get 6 to 10 inches here in Wise this weekend.

I have only seen a couple of games so far this year. I was impressed with Cody Justus from Grundy. He shot the 3 quite well against Richlands!! Austin Johnson for Richlands has looked good also. Devon Johnson is a rebounding machine

How does Sean Overton look for the Blues?

As of mid-season who are the best basketball players in Southwest VA. Looks like the Arnold kid of Gate City is having a great year, Forrest Stuart of Appalachia, Maggard of Lee High, Tyler Garrison of Powell Valley. Any others in your opinion who are looking good mid-season 2011.

Hurley's center (not sure of his name) should be at the top of the list. Curlee from VA High, Looney from Abingdon and Clark from J.J. Kelly are also very talented.

There are some who have played more than that. 6 games,thats kind of low isn't it,lol!

I just checked the SWD schools...

Abingdon - 6 games

Carroll Co. - 10 games

Graham - 7 games

Grundy - 7 games

Marion - 8 games

Richlands - 6 games

Tazewell - 6 games

As I said, most schools have only played 6-8 games...

Hurley's center (not sure of his name) should be at the top of the list. Curlee from VA High, Looney from Abingdon and Clark from J.J. Kelly are also very talented.

Not having seen him in person, but listening to games--I think Mac Owens, of Abingdon, is really doing a good job on both ends of the floor. I believe he is a Buchanan County transplant.

Life has many choices---eternity two

The center from Hurley that you are referring to is Dustin Waynick. If you are talking about the best players so far this season Waynick is not the only great player from Hurley. Austin Cooper I believe is the teams leading scorer. They also have other big scorers in Tyler Cooper and their sharpshooting guard Wesley Peck. The Rebels are stacked with talent this season, the sky is the limit for this team.

The center from Hurley that you are referring to is Dustin Waynick. If you are talking about the best players so far this season Waynick is not the only great player from Hurley. Austin Cooper I believe is the teams leading scorer. They also have other big scorers in Tyler Cooper and their sharpshooting guard Wesley Peck. The Rebels are stacked with talent this season, the sky is the limit for this team.

Can this team beat the talented team of Eastern Montgomery? They are loaded also. I know it's early but just a thought. I believe Twin Valley ran into this team a couple of years ago and fell in the playoffs

Not having seen him in person, but listening to games--I think Mac Owens, of Abingdon, is really doing a good job on both ends of the floor. I believe he is a Buchanan County transplant.

Ithought Jacob Hess was the best player for Abingdon.

Jacob is a very good player for the Falcons-which is no surprise, having played exceptional ball through out his career. Hess, no doubt, is one of the main threats and leaders for Abingdon.

I was commenting on Owens because I believe this is his first year getting significant playing time, and he seems to be making the most of it.

Jacob is a very good player for the Falcons-which is no surprise, having played exceptional ball through out his career. Hess, no doubt, is one of the main threats and leaders for Abingdon.

I was commenting on Owens because I believe this is his first year getting significant playing time, and he seems to be making the most of it.

Ok ,that's great to hear about this young man's heart and attitude,often times it's guys like this who step up at crucial times and make key plays to win games!

Hey Wave, you have certainly changed your tune about Eastern Montgomery. I know you had first said that their football team was finesse and didn't play that tough of a schedule. Now you are saying what a great basketball team they have. What gives?

If you watch Abingdon play they rely heavily on getting the ball into the post (Looney). In my opinion Jacob Hess was a much better player his sophomore year and has focused more on football his junior and senior years which has hurt his development at basketball. I think Looney is their best player followed by Viers and then Jacob Hess.

Hey Wave, you have certainly changed your tune about Eastern Montgomery. I know you had first said that their football team was finesse and didn't play that tough of a schedule. Now you are saying what a great basketball team they have. What gives?

lol! First of all don't recall ever saying East Mont was a finesse football team. Idid say Radford was. As far as East Mont basketball ,they did go far in state tourney in basketball a couple of years ago. By the way are you a Kansas City Cheifs fan? I am . I hope they can get by the Ravens this Sunday in the playoffs.:)

Gate City is arguably the best team in swva.

Can't argue with you there . I know Coach Vermillion does a good job. Are they still running the full court press from start to finish. Wonder how a Hurley versus Gate City game would fare?

Can't argue with you there . I know Coach Vermillion does a good job. Are they still running the full court press from start to finish. Wonder how a Hurley versus Gate City game would fare?

oh yes most of the time, and who knows. Idk how good hurley is, but we have played science hill twice, DB twice, sullivan south. and the 1st and 2nd place teams in the arbys.

lol! First of all don't recall ever saying East Mont was a finesse football team. Idid say Radford was. As far as East Mont basketball ,they did go far in state tourney in basketball a couple of years ago. By the way are you a Kansas City Cheifs fan? I am . I hope they can get by the Ravens this Sunday in the playoffs.:)

Radford was less finesse than EM.

Did you ever see Radford play? I'm doubting it.