Catching up with the Curry's...

GMan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did that Cody Grimm walk-on thing turn out for the VT football team and for Cody even though his Dad is now in the NFL H.O.F.??

Pretty sure his dad didn't play at, nor has his number retired, at VT...

Why do you want to dissect wins in a 100% negative light when they relate to VT? If VT sports teams are such a disappointment, why follow them?

Ummm, in case you haven't noticed, I don't follow the men's basketball team that much...someone offered me two free tickets and a parking pass for last night's game, I turned them down...

Besides, mediocrity sucks...strive to be better...better is beyond Greenbum's reach...

Which player would you rather have Erick Green or Seth Curry ? It was pretty evident Seth did not earn a starting spot.

Green is only starting at VT out of necessity...if Hudson hadn't been injured, he'd be starting and Green would still be coming off the bench. Guess that shows Greenbum's ability to judge talent, huh???

Coach K. should be fired as he has lost games he shouldn't have including four now to VT. Count Roy Williams into that too. Hell, UNC was swept by VT in the regular season a few years ago.

Coach K and Roy Williams HAVE Nation Championship banners hanging in their arenas...what's Greenbum got to hanging in Cassell??? He hasn't won the NIT and God knows, he has had plenty of opportunities... Hell, Greenbum doesn't even have a Conference Championship title yet...

Folks need to quit focusing on the little things and take a good look at the BIG PICTURE...

The big picture that shows us, at the very least, that Tech is competitive in the ACC year in and year out under Greenberg? In the 7 years we've been in the ACC, we have finished 5th, 10th, 4th, 4th, 9th, 3rd and 4th. Thinking back on the teams we faced over that stretch, I am impressed that Greenberg has built the program up as much as he has, and put us in a position to be as competitive as we have been. I have definitely had my questions about the direction of the program, but at the end of the day, those 7 numbers are quite telling of the relative success we have had in the ACC so far. In fact, I would say the majority of the other ACC teams would love to have the success we have had over that stretch.

Do I think the team is as prepared and as motivated every game as they need to be? No. But that doesn't fall solely on Greenberg. It is also the players' responsibility to execute his game plan, not make stupid mistakes, make free throws, etc. Because the players don't take care of their responsibilities, that provides the means for us to throw out words like "inconsistent" and "flat". Jeff Allen, after 4 years, is finally putting together a string of solid games. Is Greenberg doing something differently now than he did in previous years to get Jeff to start playing more consistently? I doubt it. I would argue that it is Jeff's personal preparation, maturation, and trust in Greenberg's game plan that has led him to play the way he has these past couple of games.

Finally, Steph and Seth ended up going to powerhouse basketball schools (sarcasm) Davidson and Liberty respectively. If Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, etc., etc. didn't have the foresight to see that these two guys were going to be great players, why would Virginia Tech have had that foresight?

Edited by vthokies4life

I agree with G-Man on this. I'm thrilled VT knocked off #1 Duke...but I'm not sold on the coaching yet. We were HORRIBLE at the free throw line....Delaney barely put forth an effort. I think VT had some luck and surprisingly the officials called a fair game and Duke didn't seem to get the "because we are Duke" calls. I can't wait to see how VT comes out and plays in these last two games.

And you still beat the #1 team in the land with a subpar effort.

For perspective, UVA hasn't knocked off a #1 team in 10 years. Greeny's done it 4 times.

Not saying he's the second coming of Wooden, but he's done a minor miracle down there.

Combs played BASKETBALL...his son played FOOTBALL...

ALL the Curry's played BASKETBALL...

There's your difference...

Why weren't Marcus or Jeffery Jordan offered scholarships at UNC for basketball? Isn't their father's jersey retired at UNC? Should they have had offers coming out of the womb?

Edited by bhs7695

Combs played BASKETBALL...his son played FOOTBALL...

ALL the Curry's played BASKETBALL...

There's your difference...

Why weren't Marcus or Jeffery Jordan offered scholarships at UNC for basketball? Isn't their father's jersey retired at UNC? Should they have had offers after they came out of the womb?

The big picture that shows us, at the very least, that Tech is competitive in the ACC year in and year out under Greenberg? In the 7 years we've been in the ACC, we have finished 5th, 10th, 4th, 4th, 9th, 3rd and 4th.

How many NCAA bids vs. NIT bids did that get VT?

Is that the only criteria for success? NCAA vs. NIT bids?

Look, Greenberg took us from being a bottom dwelling Big East team and turned us into a competitive ACC team. He did so without the most talented players in the conference. His enthusiasm and energy is infectious, and the players, coaches and most of all, fans buy into what he is trying to accomplish in Blacksburg.

As long as he is able to keep moving forward or at the very least sustain this level of results, then Greenberg will be (and should be) the coach at Virginia Tech. What he has accomplished in his tenure at Tech is nothing to scoff at. Where we were 8 years ago versus where we are today is drastically different for the better, despite the tournament we end up in at the end of a season. And for what had been a bottom dwelling team, that is a pretty successful 8 years.

How many post season tourneys did VT play in from '87-'04? How many conference championships does VT own in basketball in the school's history either regular season or conference tourney?

I didn't realize that VT needs to have the ego for collegiate sports that if their teams aren't playing for a nation championship within 2-3 years of a coach being hired, the coaches are bums and should be fired immediately.

Look, Greenberg took us from being a bottom dwelling Big East team and turned us into a competitive ACC team.

A monkey could have improved upon where that Hoo left our basketball program...

Why weren't Marcus or Jeffery Jordan offered scholarships at UNC for basketball? Isn't their father's jersey retired at UNC? Should they have had offers coming out of the womb?

Maybe this is one reason why Roy's teams have sucked the last several years...:eek:

How many post season tourneys did VT play in from '87-'04? How many conference championships does VT own in basketball in the school's history either regular season or conference tourney?

They won the NIT Championship in 1995 and lost in the second round of the NCAA in 1996 to #2 seed Kentucky.

During my "formative" years from '76-'86, however, VT made 9 post season appearances...5 NCAA tournaments (back when not everyone got in) and 4 NIT tournaments (finishing 3rd in the NIT in '84).

I didn't realize that VT needs to have the ego for collegiate sports that if their teams aren't playing for a nation championship within 2-3 years of a coach being hired, the coaches are bums and should be fired immediately.

Greenbum is now in his EIGHTH season at VT...and still no title of any sort...

"Our season will not be determined by preseason publications, but rather by our competitive spirit, toughness, work ethic, and commitment to improve as players, people, and teammates!" - Seth Greenbum

Really??? I though seasons were measured by wins/losses and where/how you finish your season??? Well, you can't spell NIT without VirgiNIa Tech...

Now, I can understand GMans ire, not that I agree with it. Tech's program is not where he wants it, but my question would be is he willing to see thinks change to improve. Is he willing to recruit marginal students who are blue chip players? Is he willing to buy into the AAU related crap some programs are party to? Is he willing to recruit one and done players?

I would rather have a program that is respected and improving than one the is looked upon with disdain for some of the shortcuts they use; even if they are in the NCAAs every year.

Hence the reason I no longer support my alma mater UK, and support Greenburg.

I think a lot of us Hokie fans have a carryover effect from football.

"We win more than we lose now! We need trophies to prove it!"

Where we were on the bubble the last few years and didn't make it in, what if we had made the NCAA tournament? We would've still lossed a first or second round game and we would have nothing really to show for it. The whole body of work says that since Tech's been in the ACC, we are 4th in wins in the conference. To me, that beats where we were before Gburg and I'm happy to compete.

I think a lot of us Hokie fans have a carryover effect from football.

"We win more than we lose now! We need trophies to prove it!"

Where we were on the bubble the last few years and didn't make it in, what if we had made the NCAA tournament? We would've still lossed a first or second round game and we would have nothing really to show for it. The whole body of work says that since Tech's been in the ACC, we are 4th in wins in the conference. To me, that beats where we were before Gburg and I'm happy to compete.

Another vote of "settle for mediocrity"...

Another vote of "settle for mediocrity"...

I don't think we should settle where we are and by the looks of it, we're not.

We've leveled off a little but there has been a steady upward trend overall. I see us being a more NCAA than NIT team over the next ten years with or without Greenberg. We're making a name for our program a little at a time.

I don't think we should settle where we are...

We've leveled off a little...

EXACTLY what I'm saying. We've plateaued with Greenbum...this is as good as it gets under him...

EXACTLY what I'm saying. We've plateaued with Greenbum...this is as good as it gets under him...

By that justification, we've plateaued with Beamer as well? Time to toss Frank to the curb and lure in a Nick Saban? AKA, The hired Gun of Alabama?

By that justification, we've plateaued with Beamer as well?

No, with Beamer, we are winning Conference Championships on a regular basis and making BCS bowls...not so much with Greenbum...