Catching up with the Curry's...

GMan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, with Beamer, we are winning Conference Championships on a regular basis and making BCS bowls...not so much with Greenbum...

But we haven't made it to the title game in a while. It looks like we've hit a wall at only winning 10 games a season and possibly playing in the Orange Bowl. Out with the old, in with the new! We can't go any further!!

Your arguments are illogical and speculative. Again, I don't always think the basketball program is heading in the right direction and have been frustrated by lack of motivation and inconsistency, but I blame the players. Read pretty much any of my previous posts. It's hard to deny that Greenberg has us heading in the right direction based on where we have been to where we are now.

Maybe this is one reason why Roy's teams have sucked the last several years...:eek:

Roy is a bum. After all he didn't offer scholarships to either of Michael Jordan's sons, UNC played in the NIT last year instead of the NCAA, and he's lost games to teams he shouldn't have.

Roy has won two national titles at UNC which is something he couldn't do at Kansas. Of course the '04 team wasn't Roy's players. Maybe Roy isn't a bum....unless he's a bum.

A monkey could take the talent that is clawing at the doors to get into UNC and play for a national title.

Now, I can understand GMans ire, not that I agree with it. Tech's program is not where he wants it, but my question would be is he willing to see thinks change to improve. Is he willing to recruit marginal students who are blue chip players? Is he willing to buy into the AAU related crap some programs are party to? Is he willing to recruit one and done players?

I would rather have a program that is respected and improving than one the is looked upon with disdain for some of the shortcuts they use; even if they are in the NCAAs every year.

Hence the reason I no longer support my alma mater UK, and support Greenburg.

How many of those marginal students/one of done players are going to contribute positively to society when basketball doesn't work out for them? Are we going to fit the taxpayer bill for jail time, medical, and welfare for those clowns that only cared about themselves?

How many of those marginal students/one of done players are going to contribute positively to society when basketball doesn't work out for them? Are we going to fit the taxpayer bill for jail time, medical, and welfare for those clowns that only cared about themselves?

My point exactly.

No, with Beamer, we are winning Conference Championships on a regular basis and making BCS bowls...not so much with Greenbum...

and getting embarrassed by teams in the top 10 and JMU at home.

VT football is the tallest midget......

Duke and UNC have been winning the ACC in basketball for over 30 years.

From now on, every year anyone who doesn't have a share of the conference championship or ACC tourney title should be fired immediately considering how bad the ACC is in basketball right now.

How many ACC titles would Beamer have if there were not one, but TWO national football powers in the conference...as Duke and UNC in basketball? Think he would have any if, say, Florida and Alabama were in the ACC?

How many ACC titles would Beamer have if there were not one, but TWO national football powers in the conference...as Duke and UNC in basketball? Think he would have any if, say, Florida and Alabama were in the ACC?

Well, if Florida St. and Miami would get their crap together...

Another thing I like about Greenberg is the "Chalk Talk" he holds before games in the dining hall with students. It's a neat way to help them understand the game more, get them involved, and further take ownership in the basketball program.

A 'Chalk Talk' with Greenberg

While Virginia Tech students ate lunch, Seth Greenberg stood with a microphone and played roles that fit as comfortably as the sweatpants he was wearing: coach and comedian.

On Thursday, Greenberg hosted one of his regular "Chalk Talk" sessions at a large on-campus dining hall. He led an equally informative and humorous discussion about the Hokies (5-1) and their next opponent, Georgia (4-2).

Greenberg drew up diagrams on large sheets of paper about how Virginia Tech would attack and defend Sunday against the Bulldogs and also passed out a scouting report with some keys to winning the game. (He asked that such information be kept off the record.)

Georgia is very big up front and is physical and productive in the post. Last year, the Bulldogs dominated the Hokies in the paint in a 67-66 win in Athens. In general, Greenberg talked about the importance of blocking out and defending the post against the Bulldogs, who are led by 6-foot-10 forward Trey Thompkins (15 points per game).

When a student asked about the specifics of Virginia Tech's post defense against Georgia, Greenberg replied, "If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."

While it was an informative session, Greenberg kept it light as he spoke with a group of students in a room to the side of the cafeteria, where students shuttled around carrying trays piled with sandwiches, pizza and teriyaki chicken.

Greenberg seized the platform as an opportunity to engage students and to help to brand a program at a university where football is king. He took full advantage of it, and was in his element as he cracked jokes with those in attendance. Someone there suggested there ought to be a drummer playing rim shots after each of his witticisms.

Before everyone settled down with their food, Greenberg highly recommended trying the blue cheese crumbles on the salad and the soft-serve ice cream. (I can speak on the ice cream: it was good.)

When speaking about the Hokies' 70-64 win at Iowa on Tuesday, Greenberg offered the crowd an idea of his spectrum of happiness. "If we lost that game, I would have been miserable," he said. "I'm only semi-miserable now."

He did, however, say that "a light bulb went on" against the Hawkeyes. By that, he meant that he started to see some promising signs from the Hokies, who he said were getting more confident, were finding ways to get open shots and were making the extra passes in an offense that looked crisper.

Later, when he spotted a student in a Georgia hat, he jokingly questioned his allegiance and called him a spy. Later, he called on the student and referred to him as "Benedict Arnold."

When Greenberg spotted another student walking into the room with an arm full of food, he took the opportunity to make another crack.

"The guy's got two ice cream cones and two pieces of pizza," Greenberg said. "That's what I call balance!"

Greenberg quizzed some students about what the Hokies would try to do against different defenses or when defending certain looks. Twice in the session, one student came up with the right answer. Greenberg took a liking to the student.

"This guy's a cerebral guy right here," he said.

At the end there was a drawing, where students could win different prizes.

"Just want you always wanted," Greenberg said, "a Seth Greenberg Spalding autographed rubber basketball."

Repeat after me:

Not. Greenberg's. Fault.

He is the HEAD COACH...it is his fault. HIS team was not prepared for this game...still basking in the glow of the upset...HIS responsibility and HE failed...again...

Repeat after me:

Not. Greenberg's. Fault.

This. This, this, this. This had the makings of a trap game from the beginning, and VT's players just choked. There's no shame in losing the BC, they've been on the rise big time in the last few games. Their RPI is in the Top 100. Those losses are OK.

As I say, you need just 1 more win to make it. Any win would do.

This. This, this, this. This had the makings of a trap game from the beginning, and VT's players just choked. There's no shame in losing the BC, they've been on the rise big time in the last few games. Their RPI is in the Top 100. Those losses are OK.

As I say, you need just 1 more win to make it. Any win would do.

Not at home and definitely not on Senior Night...

My list of Greenbum's BAD LOSSES at VT:

2003-04 (15-14/7-9): Old Dominion, East Carolina, Miami (4-12 in BE)

2004-05 (16-14/8-8): VMI, St. John's (9-18), Western Michigan, Clemson (5-11 in ACC), Virginia (4-12 in ACC), Florida St. (4-12 in ACC)

2005-06 (14-16/4-12): Bowling Green, Old Dominion

2006-07 (22-12/10-6): Western Michigan, George Washington, Marshall, NC State X2 (5-11 in ACC)

2007-08 (21-14/9-7): Penn St., Old Dominion, Richmond, NC State (4-12 in ACC)

2008-09 (19-15/7-9): Seton Hall, Georgia, Virginia (4-12 in ACC)

2009-10 (25-9/10-6): UNC (5-11 in ACC), Miami (4-12 in ACC), Boston College (6-10 in ACC), Miami (in ACC Tourney 1st Round)

2010-11: UVA X2, Georgia Tech, Boston College (at home on Senior Night)

"BAD LOSSES" - any game VT should have won vs. team from Mid-Major/Low level conference and/or Major conference with worse record.

Not at home and definitely not on Senior Night...

You just beat the #1 team in the nation. You were due for a letdown game. We fans think that the players should play out of their minds on Senior Night, just because it means so much to them that it's their last time on their home court, blah blah blah.

Even seniors are vulnerable to bad games in meaningful circumstances. It happens. It doesn't make it any worse a loss because we ascribe some inappropriate value to Senior Night. BC is a Top-100 RPI team who's coming on strong lately. The facts and numbers state that this is a reasonable loss.

Interesting comments in this post on TSL.com:

http://www.techsideline.com/message_board/basketball/2011/March/2/522858.php

Will Stewart has been a staunch supporter of Greenbum since day one...even started banning folks for "bad mouthing" SG last season...gave a big warning about it at the start of this season. Seems as though the "honeymoon" is almost over, sounds as if he is starting to waiver a little...

And just to set the record straight, I have never been banned over there...had a few posts deleted, but never banned...

You just beat the #1 team in the nation. You were due for a letdown game. We fans think that the players should play out of their minds on Senior Night, just because it means so much to them that it's their last time on their home court, blah blah blah.

Even seniors are vulnerable to bad games in meaningful circumstances. It happens. It doesn't make it any worse a loss because we ascribe some inappropriate value to Senior Night. BC is a Top-100 RPI team who's coming on strong lately. The facts and numbers state that this is a reasonable loss.

"Let downs" happen when you aren't prepared. Bad losses happen when you aren't prepared. It is the HEAD COACH's job to PREPARE the players for EVERY GAME.

LAWYERED!!!*

*- A "How I Met Your Mother" reference.