Hess [Richlands] Checks Out UNC

CarMike

Came across this on Inside Carolina and thought I'd share since a lot of Richlands fans read the board.

Accepting a special invitation, Josh Hess visited North Carolina last Saturday.

“Coach ‘Mo’ [Allen Mogridge] kept calling and texting Coach [Greg] Mance and telling him to get me to call him,†the 6-foot-6, 300-pound offensive lineman from Richlands (Va.) said. “I called him and he personally invited me down and told me how much they like me. I have interest in [uNC] so I figured I’d make the visit down.â€

Although he has been invited several times in the past, the visit was Hess’ first to Chapel Hill.

“It was a great place,†Hess said. “The campus was laid out nice. We went around and took a short tour of the campus on a bus and stopped at one of the dorm rooms and actually got out to see what the football dorms are like, which was pretty neat. We toured the facilities.â€

The visit provided Hess his first opportunity to meet Sam Pittman, UNC’s offensive line coach.

“He was funny,†Hess said. “He’s just a funny guy. I really like him. I think he’d be a good offensive line coach. When we went in and watched film on the other offensive line prospects, he really knew what he was talking about. I think he’d be pretty good to play for.â€

Hess’ visit concluded with the UNC-Boston College basketball game.

“It was crazy,†Hess said. “I didn’t expect it to be like that. Carolina really loves their basketball. The fans, they were just wild. It wasn’t a good game at first, but things started to pick up.â€

Mogridge sat with Hess throughout the basketball game.

“He said that they really liked me and that he is going to come down in the spring and watch me do some drills and see how I run,†Hess said. “He talked about offering based on what he sees in the spring.â€

Marshall is the only school to have offered Hess a scholarship.

Hess is being recruited as both an offensive tackle and guard. He has played both positions for Richlands, which he has started for since his sophomore season.

Although he doesn’t have a list of favorite schools, Hess is looking at UNC more favorably following Saturday’s visit.

“I really like them,†Hess said. “They have great football and they have good academics. So many people say North Carolina is a basketball school, but I think it’s a football and basketball school because their football is really picking up with Coach Butch Davis.â€

Besides UNC, Hess has visited Alabama, Boston College, Duke, Kentucky, Marshall, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. He’s working on trips to Florida and Maryland.

“I didn’t expect it to be like that. Carolina really loves their basketball."

Young man...pay attention to what you said. As a FOOTBALL player, do you really want to go to a BASKETBALL school???? Think about it....

Yeah, nevermind this quote...lol

And in all reality, UNC is really a womans soccer school. Famous words spoken be Dean E. Smith. lol

I get the feeling he'll stay closer to home and go with VT once they offer him.

“I really like them,†Hess said. “They have great football and they have good academics. So many people say North Carolina is a basketball school, but I think it’s a football and basketball school because their football is really picking up with Coach Butch Davis.â€

Young man...pay attention to what you said. As a FOOTBALL player, do you really want to go to a BASKETBALL school???? Think about it....

Im a homer, I like to see kids go to their schools in their home state. Thats one of the reasons im proud of VT (mostly VA kids) and dislike UT (alot of CA kids and deep south kids). If a in-state school doesent offer and you think you can play at a high level then yeah go out-of-state. JMO

Im a homer, I like to see kids go to their schools in their home state. Thats one of the reasons im proud of VT (mostly VA kids) and dislike UT (alot of CA kids and deep south kids). If a in-state school doesent offer and you think you can play at a high level then yeah go out-of-state. JMO

Some players like to go out of state. Think about it, you get much more national spotlight playing in the SEC.

I would argue that to an extent. If a player plays at VT its as beneficial as playing w/ any SEC team in terms of nationl spotlight, excluding a defending Natl champ (ex Auburn this upcoming year).

Another good reason to leave state IMO is for a specific degree.

Im just a VA boy and nothing would have made me prouder than to wear a uniform that represented VA. Much the same way I felt when I put that all red uniform on, no doubt I represented Haysi

Wow......Tennessee had 7 TN kids in this years class and two of those kids came from Tennessee High. That's not to bad for a state thats not known for football talent. You go recruit where the talent is located. Lot more talent is the tidewater area of Virginia. Its not like VT recruits heavily out of SWVA for cryin' out loud!!!!

I never said VT did, although most of the D1 level players from this area do get the attention of VT and get some kind of offer. There just isint alot of D1 talent in this area(not enough population to produce alot of talent) I wouldnt have nearly the ammount of respect for the VT program that I do or the pride I do in being a VT fan if they recruited from all over the country. VT is gonna start broadening their recruiting base (they will have to if they want to take the next step) but the program is build on Virginia players. 7 TN kids is alot for 1 class but I would bet UT's average is well below that

I have 0 respect for the UVA-W program(and I attend UVA-W) because they offer schlolarships to kids from all over the place but few to kids from SWVA. I refuse to believe that if they were to get the kids from GC, Richlands, Clintwood, J.I.B., etc that they wouldnt be more competitive. Im more proud of E&H because they recruit alot of local kids

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Marshall with Devon...but, you never know...kid that size with his ability has many open doors...going to be hard to pick just one to walk through.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Marshall with Devon...but, you never know...kid that size with his ability has many open doors...going to be hard to pick just one to walk through.

That wouldn't surprise me either Lance. He and Devon are good friends and you also have Austin going to Marshall as a possible walk on I believe.

I do think that VT might be appealing to the young man though.

Just so glad to see more & more kids from around our area getting looks and going on to further their education while getting to play a little football at the same time !