OOPS !!!! WDBJ anchor slips in an F-bomb

LOL! WDBJ's newscast is better than most, surprised that happened there.

For a good laugh, watch WVVA's early morning newscast...I always get a kick out of the brown-haired girl saying "M-shaw" when speaking of MSHA, not to mention how she pronounces the word subsidiary...her version: subsi-dairy...

There are more, but can't recall them right at this moment...

For a good laugh, watch WVVA's early morning newscast...I always get a kick out of the brown-haired girl saying "M-shaw" when speaking of MSHA, not to mention how she pronounces the word subsidiary...her version: subsi-dairy...

with wvva you have to consider the source. always liked stan sweet and his guns lol. quick draw mcgraw. but wvva news is a joke always has been and always will be.

They should really show WVVA morning broadcasts in journalism programs as an example of how NOT to run a telecast. It's like some of those anchors are plucked right off the turnip truck; most of them can't even get the local town names right. The good ones leave within 6 months (special note: Bob Grebe, though he left, was never good). Just a comedy of errors. If it wasn't those two airhead girls, it was Corey Henderson shamelessly flirting with all them.

I seldom like saying "even I can do that job better than he/she can", because each job has subtle nuances that take time to learn. But I am supremely confident I could walk onto the WVVA set, Day 1, and do a better job than 90% of the people that've ever set behind that desk.

They should really show WVVA morning broadcasts in journalism programs as an example of how NOT to run a telecast. It's like some of those anchors are plucked right off the turnip truck; most of them can't even get the local town names right. The good ones leave within 6 months (special note: Bob Grebe, though he left, was never good). Just a comedy of errors. If it wasn't those two airhead girls, it was Corey Henderson shamelessly flirting with all them.

I seldom like saying "even I can do that job better than he/she can", because each job has subtle nuances that take time to learn. But I am supremely confident I could walk onto the WVVA set, Day 1, and do a better job than 90% of the people that've ever set behind that desk.

i like the good ole days when it was whis tv. with live programs on sat and sunday snoop and scoop and music.

WVVA is a stepping stone. They have never claimed to be more than that. The "good ones" (Chris Miles) don't stay long because they never intended to. Most of them really did "just fall off the turnip truck" and it takes them a little longer to develop. P.J. Ziegler was pretty bad when he started but very good by the time he left. Good enough to land a job in Cleveland.

WVVA is a stepping stone. They have never claimed to be more than that. The "good ones" (Chris Miles) don't stay long because they never intended to. Most of them really did "just fall off the turnip truck" and it takes them a little longer to develop. P.J. Ziegler was pretty bad when he started but very good by the time he left. Good enough to land a job in Cleveland.

You raise good points. However, there is a difference in a "stepping stone" and what WVVA does.

Simply speaking, a stepping stone would take incoming talent, polish them, hone their skills, and send them on to a better market in 3 months-1 year. Ideally, the person would've had some raw talent to begin with, and upon leaving would be pretty good at their trade. WVVA has a select few of those. The P.J. Ziegler types, for example.

However, and here's where WVVA differs, if a news anchor doesn't have the talent, they will languish on the set for 3-4 years, never getting any better, never making any noticeable effort to improve themselves, still making simple mistakes over and over again. There have been COUNTLESS examples of this at WVVA over our lifetimes, and it just destroys the product.

I have a few fixes that would REALLY help WVVA become a proper "stepping stone", and I've put a lot of thought into it.

(1) Hire 2 solid lead anchors (1 morning, 1 evening), 1 solid weatherman, and 1 solid sportscaster. Those four individuals are your bread and butter, the engine that makes the network run. Pay them a salary that will keep them there, because not only do you need these people to be the face of your network, you need them to tutor the upcoming talent, which leads me to...

(2) Hire 4-6 backup anchors. Those people will be the ones responsible for most of the field reporting, and they will be pretty much the pistons of the engine, honing not only their television presence, but their reporting skills. A win-win.

(3) Hire 2 backup weathermen and 2 backup sportscasters. Similar principle to above: they will do most of the field reporting, and will hone their skills not only on-camera but off-camera.

(4) You can tell within 6 months if an anchor just doesn't have "it". If an anchor doesn't have "it", give them the "resign or you're fired" speech. We're not running a soup kitchen, we're trying to forge a reputable news network.

I will not go into support staff, I don't believe that WVVA has as much a problem there.

Ideally, you'd want to have the following at the desk (nights off and vacations obviously excepted):

6:00 AM-12:00 PM: Lead Anchor 2, Backup Anchor, Backup Weatherman 1, Backup Sportscaster 1

5:00 PM: 2 Backup Anchors, Backup Weatherman 2, Backup Sportscaster 2

6:00 PM-11:00 PM: Lead Anchor 1, Backup Anchor, Lead Weatherman, Lead Sportscaster

Special Reports before 6:00 PM: Lead Anchor 2 and Best Backup Anchor (until you can get Lead Anchor 1 into the studio with Lead Anchor 2).

Special Reports after 6:00 PM: Lead Anchor 1 and Best Backup Anchor (until you can get Lead Anchor 2 into the studio with Lead Anchor 1).

That's how I see a good, solid news station with WVVA's objectives working.

Edited by UVAObserver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYh31FMicMw

NSFW...or kids...BTW...

Just like Ron Burgundy...she'll read whatever is on the teleprompter...

You stay classy, Holly!

Wow. That is a bad one.

You can literally watch it sink in after she slips up. She is absolutely horrified for about a second, then right at the end, she tries to regroup. That is amazingly brutal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYh31FMicMw

NSFW...or kids...BTW...

Just like Ron Burgundy...she'll read whatever is on the teleprompter...

You stay classy, Holly!

Unintentional Comedy A+.

The look on her face once she let the f-bomb out is priceless. Went from "happy" to "sheer, unadulterated fear" instantly.