1981 Richlands vs Graham

futbolking

was Jody Bourne on that team?

Davy, not Jody...Jody was a few years older.

There were actually two "Davy" Bourne's on that team...and two Robert/Robbie Peery's...although, I think one always went by Robert, the other Robbie, and one spelled his last name Perry, and the other Peery...I just don't remember which went with whom...

Kimbo's soph year.

Some of the names/numbers I can remember...

Eddie Neel (#10), Eddie Hall (#32), Mark Cundiff (#31), Lee Grimes (#30), Kimbo Spencer (#22), Fred Cook (#43), John Davis (#44), Davy Bourne (#20), Kevin Inscore (#73), Jimmy Bailey, Alan Kidd, Gary Stowers, Robert Peery, Robbie Peery, Steve Davis, Jeff French, Mike Quesenberry, Greg Carroll, Chris Richardson, Ricky Mulkey, Jeff Grubb, Mark Massey, Derek McGraw, Scott Richardson, Tim Compton, Kevin Yost (#9), Mark Large(#14), Chip Warburton, Chris Byrd, Kenny Page, Jeff French, Wayne Kinder, Raul Despian, Davey Bourne

I know there were a bunch more but I can't recall them off the top of my head...

I thought that Chip Warburton was in the 8th grade that year. I'm pretty sure that he was a junior when Yost, Byrd, Large were seniors. Steve Buchanan may have been a freshman on that team as well.

Edited by futbolking

I thought that Chip Warburton was in the 8th grade that year. I'm pretty sure that he was a junior when Yost, Byrd, Large were seniors. Steve Buchanan may have been a freshman on that team as well.

Nope...Chip was a freshman that year with me, Yost, Byrd, Large, et al...

I kinda remember Steve Buchanan playing that season but not 100% on that...I recall he and Cundiff getting into it at practice and him quitting but that could have been his soph year.

For some reason, I seem to recall maybe Steve Neece and Keith Thompson, both FR, being on the team in '81 as well.

Nope...Chip was a freshman that year with me, Yost, Byrd, Large, et al...

I kinda remember Steve Buchanan playing that season but not 100% on that...I recall he and Cundiff getting into it at practice and him quitting but that could have been his soph year. (wasn't Cundiff a year behind you guys?)

For some reason, I seem to recall maybe Steve Neece and Keith Thompson, both FR, being on the team in '81 as well.

Yes, I definitely remember those two...and you're right about Buchanan quitting.....although, I can't remember exactly when he quit either. Your senior season, I only remember 4 seniors....Yost, Byrd, Large and Warburton....I don't remember anybody else from that class playing that year.

I knew Chip pretty well...even after high school, I thought for sure he was a year behind those others, but I must be wrong....you guys are right, I"m sure.

Edited by futbolking

Your senior season, I do believe they only had 4 seniors....Yost, Byrd, Large and Warburton....I don't remember anybody else from that class playing that year.

That is correct. Went 8-3, lost to Blacksburg in the first round of the playoffs in the coldest game in the history of high school football...

I knew Chip pretty well...even after high school, I thought for sure he was a year behind those others, but I must be wrong....you guys are right, I"m sure.

Chip and I became best friends first day of 7th grade...we met in homeroom (he had gone to Springville El and I went to GIS)...in the dungeon of the old Junior High.

That is correct. Went 8-3, lost to Blacksburg in the first round of the playoffs in the coldest game in the history of high school football...

You're right about that....the wind chill was about -20....that was the game that Michael Murphy ran untouched for a touchdown and the ref blew an inadvertent whistle, because they didn't know where the ball was.... the good ole days.

(I accidentally deleted the previous message that you quoted...) I was going to add that Joey Cundiff was a year behind you all....and that may clear up the Steve Buchanan question.

Chip and I became best friends first day of 7th grade...we met in homeroom (he had gone to Springville El and I went to GIS)...in the dungeon of the old Junior High.

I remember you two were Dolphin fans along with Rob H. Must have been painful!!