1981 Richlands vs Graham

futbolking

Graham stopped Martinsville on the 2 yard line....on 4th down... Referee signals touchdown!! You could tell they were drunk. The kids who played in the game will tell you they smelled the alcohol on their breath. I do believe that coach Carlock sent in the game film to the VHSL and protested, but they did nothing about it. Biggest rip off I've ever witnessed. This team should've been playing for a state title that year.

Graham stopped Martinsville on the 2 yard line....on 4th down... Referee signals touchdown!! You could tell they were drunk. The kids who played in the game will tell you they smelled the alcohol on their breath. I do believe that coach Carlock sent in the game film to the VHSL and protested, but they did nothing about it. Biggest rip off I've ever witnessed. This team should've been playing for a state title that year.

was the game played at Carroll County by any chance? Just curious.

That was fun to watch. I really hope Coach Williams can get Graham back to playing physical football like they used to.

If anything, they'll be in good physical condition. He's working the heck out of those kids, which is good to see. It'll be interesting to see what type of offense he installs. One thing they have going against Bluefield going in is the element of surprise. I guess Bluefield will be scouting the scrimmages, though.

They still seem small and quick like last year, but man he's going to have those boys in shape!!

Did Graham have two different players attempt extra points? After the first TD, the kicker was right footed. After the second, he was left footed.

Yes, the lefty was a freshman that season. He could kick the snot out of the ball but you never knew where it was going to go. I can recall during his 4 years at Graham, on PATs, he kicked the ball into the long snapper's butt/back twice, donked it off his helmet once, and once kicked a PAT that went straight up in the air and landed six inches in front of the tee. BTW, he ended up being the SWD Lineman of the Year his senior season and went on to VT, which didn't pan out for him.

If anything, they'll be in good physical condition. He's working the heck out of those kids, which is good to see. It'll be interesting to see what type of offense he installs. One thing they have going against Bluefield going in is the element of surprise. I guess Bluefield will be scouting the scrimmages, though.

They still seem small and quick like last year, but man he's going to have those boys in shape!!

Anyone from Bluefield or Graham expecting results like the past 2 years are truly kidding themselves. I expect a close game this year that could go either way. In my opinion Graham should be much improved. The community and the kids seem to have alot of respect for the new coach.

Anyone from Bluefield or Graham expecting results like the past 2 years are truly kidding themselves. I expect a close game this year that could go either way. In my opinion Graham should be much improved. The community and the kids seem to have alot of respect for the new coach.

I went by there and watched for a while and I can tell you that these kids are motivated and working their butts off. I don't ever recall them working this hard, Carlock used to put them through the wringer back in the day, but this guy doesn't put up with any slacking off. These kids will be in superb shape. They don't have a lot of size (again), but they will have a lot of heart, and I doubt there will be one ounce of quit in them. Graham surely hired the right man for the job.

I'm just glad to see all of the enthusiasm.

Edited by futbolking

I went by there and watched for a while and I can tell you that these kids are motivated and working their butts off. I don't ever recall them working this hard, Carlock used to put them through the wringer back in the day, but this guy doesn't put up with any slacking off. These kids will be in superb shape. They don't have a lot of size (again), but they will have a lot of heart, and I doubt there will be one ounce of quit in them. Graham surely hired the right man for the job.

I'm just glad to see all of the enthusiasm.

This warms my heart to hear.

I still think Bluefield wins by a good margin, but Graham will be better just by having better preparation and game coaching than last year. I swear I think WeeCee/Marrs enjoyed watching the team get killed. Give Graham another year or two and they are gonna be very good!!

I still think Bluefield wins by a good margin, but Graham will be better just by having better preparation and game coaching than last year. I swear I think WeeCee/Marrs enjoyed watching the team get killed. Give Graham another year or two and they are gonna be very good!!

You're probably right. Maybe Graham can keep it close this year, they do have an element of surprise. I don't even know what type of offensive or defensive scheme Graham will run this year....Going to be interesting to see...

Watching that clip reminds me of how excellent that particular Graham team was -- and the fact that Richlands was awful to precisely the same degree that Graham was good.

As much as it wouldn't bother me to see the G-Men recover some of their glory, I hope that those kind of days don't revisit Richlands any time soon at all.

I'm glad to hear that the players and fans have bought into the new coach!

That's what it takes to get the program back to where it use to be.

I wish the players & fans from Graham the best of luck this year except against my blues......lol.

I hope you guys win your district & and go deep into the Playoffs !

So how many Graham players can you name in this video?

#10 Neel, #32 Hall, #31 Cundiff, #50 Mulkey, #65 Bailey, #12 Quesenberry

Who's got more?

#22 Kimbo Spencer

I know Lee Grimes was on that team, can't remember his #

How could I forget, #30 Grimes. I wasn't for sure about Kimbo. Must have been his Fr. or Soph. year.

Kimbo's soph year.

Some of the names/numbers I can remember...

Eddie Neel (#10), Eddie Hall (#32), Mark Cundiff (#31), Lee Grimes (#30), Kimbo Spencer (#22), Fred Cook (#43), John Davis (#44), Davy Bourne (#20), Kevin Inscore (#73), Jimmy Bailey, Alan Kidd, Gary Stowers, Robert Peery, Robbie Peery, Steve Davis, Jeff French, Mike Quesenberry, Greg Carroll, Chris Richardson, Ricky Mulkey, Jeff Grubb, Mark Massey, Derek McGraw, Scott Richardson, Tim Compton, Kevin Yost (#9), Mark Large(#14), Chip Warburton, Chris Byrd, Kenny Page, Jeff French, Wayne Kinder, Raul Despian, Davey Bourne

I know there were a bunch more but I can't recall them off the top of my head...