Tech on lockdown again

Its weird that this made headlines. We get VT alerts when birds fart on the drill field. This didn't strike me as something that would make national headlines yet I have family members across the US calling me to ask if I'm alright.

For the record, I work nowhere near campus. But was still a part of the lockdown.

I guess the worst school massacre in US history has got everyone in the country on edge, kind of like how the media freaks out about every little crime now since 9/11 happened. I hope they find out for sure though if it was a gun. Not knowing will probably be worse for some people than knowing that it was a gun.

employees received this email yesterday at 5:05

Dear Students and Colleagues,

We thank you for your patience, understanding, and endurance today. We fully understand the difficulty and discomfort of being in your offices or classrooms for five hours. We kept the campus on alert throughout the afternoon through an abundance of caution. We believe that this was the most prudent course of action.

As you know, the campus was stressed today when the Virginia Tech Police received a report from three young girls who believed that they saw a person with a weapon. (They were here as "campers" - elementary and middle school students here for a two-day session called Higher Achievement.) Our investigating officer arrived on the scene within a few minutes of the report. The young student campers provided a good description of the person. Based on that sound description, their belief that they saw what they said they saw, and lacking further information to the contrary, we couldn't rule out that it wasn't credible. Thus, we believed the prudent and appropriate course of action was to issue an alert.

Since the time of the initial call this morning, there have been no on-going threats known or discovered. We have received NO other reports of a person with a gun or any other threatening behaviors. We have interviewed several persons similar in description to that provided by witnesses this morning. None of those subjects is the person described by the witnesses.

Law enforcement officers from VTPD, Blacksburg PD, Christiansburg PD, Virginia State Police, and Montgomery County Sheriff's Office have been patrolling the campus continuing to look for the subject. We have been assisted by several other federal and state law enforcement agencies.

As you know, we have lifted the alert, but as always in a situation like this, we suggest that you remain vigilant for possible threats. Maintain awareness of your surroundings and circumstances. Report any suspicious activity or behavior to the VTPD or local law enforcement agency. If you observe a threatening situation, take shelter and contact police as soon as possible.

We thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Charles W. Steger

I was here on April 16th, and I wish someone would have said something then... I wouldn't care if it was a 10 year old girl or 90 year old man. and because of that situation, I don't have a problem with the way things were handled yesterday. I just don't know why all this always happens here.

if someone has it in their mind to do something like that guy did on April 16th, you are not going to stop them...sad but true...a person like that could walk in to any mall, classroom, wal mart...you name it, and kill quite a few people. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Guest The Variable
if someone has it in their mind to do something like that guy did on April 16th, you are not going to stop them...sad but true...a person like that could walk in to any mall, classroom, wal mart...you name it, and kill quite a few people. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Hollow-points can.

The amount of violence done by one man with a gun is directly related to the amount of time it takes for another one to arrive.

As aggrivating as it may be, if they don't follow through on something is the one time it is a real threat. How many people on here went through a bomb threat in high school and never found anything?

Just like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. We really do have to be extra careful now, aggrivating as it may seem.

Hollow-points can.

The amount of violence done by one man with a gun is directly related to the amount of time it takes for another one to arrive.

Can campus police even carry weapons?

I don't know how I feel about everyone being allowed to tote guns around but I do think we should get mandated ninja stars.

Guest The Variable

I don't know how I feel about everyone being allowed to tote guns around but I do think we should get mandated ninja stars.

The campus cops should, and if you are of legal age (21) to possess a handgun then you should be able to. All these shootings: Tech, Arizona, Norway or those beatings going on in Wisconsin, they show that the police can only help you after you are dead. You have to protect yourself.

Ninja Stars would be a good way to save on the cost of ammo.

Unfortunately for the meek, we live in a world that preys on them. Tech learned the hard way but I do not know how well they learned from it.

Hollow-points can.

yeah...that doesn't help much...in a crowded place you could still take out a lot of people even if everyone in there had a gun...there is just no way to overcome the element of surprise and a random act of violence...unless you put metal detectors everywhere...and who wants to live in a place like that.

Guest The Variable
yeah...that doesn't help much...in a crowded place you could still take out a lot of people even if everyone in there had a gun...there is just no way to overcome the element of surprise and a random act of violence...unless you put metal detectors everywhere...and who wants to live in a place like that.

Ceramics and Plastics are becoming popular so that will not due much.

Citizens carrying can limit the amount of damage done. I didnt say prevent, I said stop. The tech shooter stopped himself. Same with Norway. Someone else could have...permanently.

In Virginia, and I would assume most states, the police on a public college or university campus are certified police officers, and have the same police powers any other sworn officer in the Commonwealth has. They are required to complete the same academy that any other sworn officer is. I do not know if this is true of police on private school campuses.

Ceramics and Plastics are becoming popular so that will not due much.

Citizens carrying can limit the amount of damage done. I didnt say prevent, I said stop. The tech shooter stopped himself. Same with Norway. Someone else could have...permanently.

Bad people will always find a way to do what they want to do to cause mayham. Metal detectors would reduce but not eliminate. So to truly reduce any possibility of things happening you would need the kind of security that is at the airports for the TSA. Honestly who want to live in a society like that. I avoid flying for that very reason. Sad that is supposed to be the land of the free but yet we see our liberties taken away or restricted all the time.

I was here on April 16th, and I wish someone would have said something then... I wouldn't care if it was a 10 year old girl or 90 year old man. and because of that situation, I don't have a problem with the way things were handled yesterday. I just don't know why all this always happens here.

No one COULD have. Those who knew about the AJ deal were dead. Next time anyone knew was after Norris' doors were chained.

And the thing about AJ was it was random... still no connection made years after the fact to Norris, so how could a connection have been made within an hour?

---

Why it always happens there is paranoia. Come on... kids were firing rockets on the Drillfield at the time. Engineers work on pipes all the time there, and I'm sure some of those pipes makr it outside the labs. Most ppl. let life go on, but some people have ants in their pants.

The nail-gun thing I can understand, but nor this.