Doesn't this seem a little desperate?

BHS03

Maybe you need to take off your green, and white glasses for a little bit, and realize you really are just WVU's little brother.

This is why people give us WVU fans the reputation we have. I didn't want to get into this arguement but I hate seeing WVU fans being so disrespectful to everyone who's not a mountaineer fan.

First off the bar at Myrtle beach is owned by WVU alumni. Yeah they represent WVU hours away from Morgantown. But what's your point? Myrtle beach is a tourist hot spot for the majority of people in the east side of the country, and most WVU fans don't even know the bar exists.

They also have a Virginia Tech and MARSHALL banner hanging from the ceiling, not to mention about 25 other D1 teams, so it's not like they don't show respect towards other colleges.

I was born and raised a WVU fan. I've always grew up watching the football games with my grandpa, but i'll be honest the "Pat White Era" is the only reason WVU has gained so much national attention over the past few years. Look back when Byron Leftwich was at Marshall, you didn't see us bashing them then, so why do it now? Not to mention how many WVU fans were all up on Marshall "nuts" that year pulling for him to win the heisman. Now we all hate them? WHY? It makes no sense.

As for going to Marshall and cheering for WVU, that's a different story. The only college in the state that offers my masters program is Marshall University. So for that reason, I will be attending Marshall. There's no way I can just change from being a huge WVU fan, so for that reason i'll continue to pull for the mountaineers while earning my education at Marshall. Call it crazy, but I call it being a loyal fan to my team I was born and raised to love.

Edited by beaverbaseball

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No its not, its completely different. Lets take off these "blue and gold" glasses for a second. Ok I see one school who is begging to get their merchandise sold. On the other hand I see a school who obviously doesn't need to pass out these little flyers saying "hey guys don't forget about us, we are here to" because they are even represented 10 hours away. Maybe you need to take off your green, and white glasses for a little bit, and realize you really are just WVU's little brother.

Here is a link to the actual card in Marshall's "Go Green" campaign: http://www.marshall.edu/gogreen/RetailerCard.pdf

Marshall's premise of the program is to "help make our gear available to all our fans." It isn't "begging" retailers to sell their merchandise. If you'd re-read the thread from the beginning, I have exhaustively made several points:

A.) There are plenty of places to buy Marshall gear. Offering another place to buy Marshall merchandise doesn't hurt the fan, and most likely won't hurt the retailer provided its halfway attractive. It's an old marketing strategy called "diversification." You might Google it.

B.) Marshall finally has a product that people are willing to buy.

C.) WVU benefits directly from the overwhelming majority of the state of WV that has never (i.) stepped foot on a college campus or (ii.) didn't go to a Division 1-A university, and/or (iii.) conveniently stopped being a Duke/UNC/VT/FSU fan around 2004 when WVU was mentioned on ESPN. I'd wager that AT LEAST 60% of your "fan base" have no direct connection (a WVU degree of their own or even a WVU degree from a family member for that matter) to WVU.

But, in closing, since we seem to have another WVU fan who gets off on pissing contests with Marshall, I'll ask you the same question(s) I asked BHS03 and maybe you'll answer them:

Why there can't be two successful schools in the state? You still haven't explained why you, among the majority of the WVU fan base, are so obsessed with everything that "little brother" is doing? If you'll simply re-read the thread and rehash some of my previous points you'll get a better idea of the discussion.

Why there can't be two successful schools in the state?

I agree...I don't see the point in bashing Marshall. I may be a WVU fan but I will always pull for Marshall when they are not playing us. I had no clue about WVU keeping them from getting a law school and etc. That is disappointing to hear, and that's coming from a mountaineer fan.

This is why people give us WVU fans the reputation we have. I didn't want to get into this arguement but I hate seeing WVU fans being so disrespectful to everyone who's not a mountaineer fan.

First off the bar at Myrtle beach is owned by WVU alumni. Yeah they represent WVU hours away from Morgantown. But what's your point? Myrtle beach is a tourist hot spot for the majority of people in the east side of the country, and most WVU fans don't even know the bar exists.

They also have a Virginia Tech and MARSHALL banner hanging from the ceiling, not to mention about 25 other D1 teams, so it's not like they don't show respect towards other colleges.

I was born and raised a WVU fan. I've always grew up watching the football games with my grandpa, but i'll be honest the "Pat White Era" is the only reason WVU has gained so much national attention over the past few years. Look back when Byron Leftwich was at Marshall, you didn't see us bashing them then, so why do it now? Not to mention how many WVU fans were all up on Marshall "nuts" that year pulling for him to win the heisman. Now we all hate them? WHY? It makes no sense.

As for going to Marshall and cheering for WVU, that's a different story. The only college in the state that offers my masters program is Marshall University. So for that reason, I will be attending Marshall. There's no way I can just change from being a huge WVU fan, so for that reason i'll continue to pull for the mountaineers while earning my education at Marshall. Call it crazy, but I call it being a loyal fan to my team I was born and raised to love.

GREAT post beaverbaseball. If all WVU fans showed half as much sense as you and many other fans, really, then WVU's reputation wouldn't suffer nationally. All it takes is a couple bad eggs to spoil the bunch and that's a shame for you and the other guys who are respectful and show true West Virginia pride.

There isn't anything wrong with going to Marshall and being a WVU fan, especially if you are "forced" to go there by lack of opportunities elsewhere. I have tons of Marshall friends who have no choice but to attend WVU Law because it is the only place to get a law degree in WV.

Stoney Calhoun brings up good points throughout the evening and I agree with all of them.

But you still haven't explained why there can't be two successful schools in the state? You still haven't explained why you, among the majority of the WVU fan base, are so obsessed with everything that "little brother" is doing?

FWIW, I saw a tweet this evening that said: "The two most popular single game tickets have been Pitt and Marshall. UConn comes in at No. 3 ... Order online at WVUGAME.com ..." This tweet was originally by a John Antonik, a WVU sports affiliate. But nobody cares about "little brother," right?

Not saying I don't believe that. But I find it odd that the LSU game tickets were not #1 on that list you provided.

I've been to about 15 WVU football games since our senior year in 2007. 13 at home and 2 bowl games.

I think for the most part, most WVU fans that attend the game just want to go and have a good time with their friends. It's a small minority that want to act like complete idiots while at the games and treating the opposing teams fans horrible. I can honestly say that I think the most trouble makers that are WVU students are the ones from out of state. I went to a WVU juco with students from all over the North East and I can tell you they are the biggest trouble makers.

They were at the school I went to, I'm sure it's probably the same in Morgantown. And it's not hard to spot them out once you know how they act and what they look and sound like. I'm not saying all kids from that area act like that, but from what i've saw in Morgantown it's mostly the out of state students who cause trouble. Not sure why they do it, but that's just what i've noticed. And the same goes for the students who leave the football games early. Some leave because it could have possibly been a blowout during the game. I myself don't leave the games early, but I know a lot of students do. Oliver Luck I believe fixed that problem with the "no re-entry" rule he created. Before you could leave the stadium at halftime and they would hand you a little red ticket and you could come back in. Now, once you leave you can't come back. So I think that will make a lot of the students stay.

The main point is that some students and fans act like idiots. The whole University gets a bad rep for it, but I can't do anything to change that, so I don't worry about it.

I'm a Hokie, my friend...and like it or not, WVU's reputation precedes itself outside its borders...and it isn't very flattering...

Why are you buying Marshall season tickets?

Not saying I don't believe that. But I find it odd that the LSU game tickets were not #1 on that list you provided.

The ticket office didn't offer single game LSU tickets this year. Only the 3 game package with Norfolk St, LSU, and Louisville

Which still perplexes me. Why you'd want to buy Marshall season tickets to ensure a seat for one game against "little brother" I will never understand.

Haha that has VERY little to do with the opponent but more so the fact that WVU fans can go see their team play without having to travel very far. Just like VA Tech fans will buy a lot, not because they are just dying to see Tech play Marshall.

Haha that has VERY little to do with the opponent but more so the fact that WVU fans can go see their team play without having to travel very far. Just like VA Tech fans will buy a lot, not because they are just dying to see Tech play Marshall.

I agree, but you can buy single game tickets for much cheaper than you're able to purchase season tickets.

I know a couple of Tech fans who did buy season tickets, but they are also checking schedules and are trying to use the tickets for other games when Tech is away/off too.

Why are you buying Marshall season tickets?

To get good seats for the VT-Marshall game...chairbacks, 40-yard line...

That, and to go party with my younger "Marshall" cousins up in H-town!!! I can get my Herd on with the best of them...just not between kickoff and the final buzzer...

Obviously you haven't read any of this thread. So its perfectly ok for other fans to bash us, but its not ok for us to go back after them? If you are going to say somthing get your facts in line before you speak... thanks

Also, there is nothing wrong with having two successful programs in the state. Never said that was a problem. The problem I have is Marshall fans thinking they are big time when they are not. I don't consider my own team as being "big time" but at the end of the day they ARE the state's flagship University and always will be. I also get tired of hearing this crap of WVU holding Marshall back. If you knew anything that was going on you would know that WVU was the ONLY school who supported Marshall as a possible move to the Big East during the realignment of 2003.

Also for any Hokie fans trying to chime in, there was a thread from a few weeks ago when you were claiming your superiority over teams like UVA and UT.

To get good seats for the VT-Marshall game...chairbacks, 40-yard line...

That, and to go party with my younger "Marshall" cousins up in H-town!!! I can get my Herd on with the best of them...just not between kickoff and the final buzzer...

We'll be at that game as well in the Hokie section.