Buh Bye Miami

vthokies4life

Since it's Miami, It didn't surprise me one bit.

Miami or not, I'm surprised. The magnitude in-terms of people involved (players, coaches, and AD personnel), the number of years it took place without word getting out before now, the amount of benefits, and the various forms of benefits. I read the article yesterday morning and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it did. Two words, death penalty. If ever a program deserves such a harsh punishment it's this is the one for their blatant disrespect of NCAA guidelines.

Looking back on the 2003 ACC expansion process and how Miami and UNC tried like hell to keep VT out of the ACC, it' warms my heart to see those two "trusted" institutes of higher learning working closely with the NCAA currently.

Even more so when UNC publicly bashed the addition of VT and the Hokies' "troublesome football program."

I do feel a morsel of pity for Al Golden and Jim Larranaga. Apparently Miami knew Shapiro was talking and still hired each of these guys within the last nine months without letting them know. Bastard move on the part of Miami higher-ups.

Do you guys really think they would give the death penalty again? If all these allegations are proven true of course.

I hope so. Something this deep, this intricate, needs to be punished as hard as possible. If you don't, you're not sending a message to A: Miami and B: the NCAA.

Guest The Variable
I hope so. Something this deep, this intricate, needs to be punished as hard as possible. If you don't, you're not sending a message to A: Miami and B: the NCAA.

But 1inStripes is right. They wont do it because they dont have the spine or the "mah-bles" or the guts to do it.

Guest The Variable
Did you expect anything less???

Well what are they supposed to do? Not hire anyone?

Guest The Variable
Disclose facts to potential hires...

If they were honest, they wouldnt be in this position.

Do you guys really think they would give the death penalty again? If all these allegations are proven true of course.

Death Penalty in all but name. Lose 30 scholorships for 15 seasons, no TV of any kind, and no post season play for 15 seasons. Don't kill them, just make them impoverished for the best part of a generation.

Death Penalty in all but name. Lose 30 scholorships for 15 seasons, no TV of any kind, and no post season play for 15 seasons. Don't kill them, just make them impoverished for the best part of a generation.

That'd kinda be like playing against Florida A&M...same color unis too...

FAMU.jpgum-james.jpg

That'd kinda be like playing against Florida A&M...same color unis too...

The NCAA have got to wallop Miami without damaging the ACC. If you remember SMU in 87-88 the primary fallout wasn't with the football program, it was with the SWC being forced to disband and the closure of the Dallas Times Herald, when the Dallas business community (SMU graduates) struck back against the Herald by withholding advertising dollars.

The penalty has to be severe, without damaging the ACC, or any other ACC members. In summation, keep them on life support.

The problem with reducing their TV contracts is that while it hurts the pocketbooks of the institution somewhat, it effects the fans more than anyone. I am no friend of any Miami fan like the next Hokie but it's not exactly their fault. Nor is it the current coaching staff's or a majority of the current players. I say fine the program out the arss. Cripple them in dollars, its what this is all about in the first place. Vacating wins and banning a program doesn't punish those involved. But fining a school millions of dollars for each account holds the schools more accountable. I also wish the NFL would step up and say players who are linked to such behavior are ineligible for the draft for a year. That's good money and opportunity that they miss out on. Perhaps more of a deterrent and thus holding them more accountable as well.

The other issue is that the cases don't come to light for years after the fact. Fining the school until they can't see straight would go further in deterring behavior than a few bowl bans and some missing scholarships.

Looking back on the 2003 ACC expansion process and how Miami and UNC tried like hell to keep VT out of the ACC, it' warms my heart to see those two "trusted" institutes of higher learning working closely with the NCAA currently.

Even more so when UNC publicly bashed the addition of VT and the Hokies' "troublesome football program."

Well, Virginia did too, until the General Assembly got involved. But we've already had that discussion. You're unfairly bashing UNC here, whose problems started AFTER Butch Davis was hired, which we all know happened after the 2006 season, over 2 full years after VT's addition. But don't let facts get in the way of a good bashing now...