toughest team in swva

UNIONFAN

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

toughest team in SWVA has to be the Falcons of Abingdon...they take a beating year after year and come back for more....and talk a lot of smack.

I know if I got my rear busted like that I would just lay down and quit!

I forgot about Lebanon, I would say they are in that conversation. Has Lebaonon won state? and if so how many times?

Edited by redtiger

toughest team in SWVA has to be the Falcons of Abingdon...they take a beating year after year and come back for more....and talk a lot of smack.

Post of the year candidate......lol

I know if I got my rear busted like that I would just lay down and quit!

I forgot about Lebanon, I would say they are in that conversation. Has Lebaonon won state? and if so how many times?

No. But have been close. Also one of the teams that was in Region C with records of 9-1 and 8-2 sitting home during the playoffs.

No. But have been close. Also one of the teams that was in Region C with records of 9-1 and 8-2 sitting home during the playoffs.

there are probably a few arguments to be made in that era that the best team in region c didn't even make the playoffs. i recall quite well an 8-0 GW team losing in lebanon that finished 9-1 that was VERY talented and missed out. i can also remember a chilhowie team that lost to GW in the last game of the season that i think went 9-1 and missed. i thought they had an argument of being the best team in the region also (we won that game late in the 4th on a QB sneak if memory serves).

you guys had a playoff caliber team every season. it was a shame for any of us to miss the playoffs with the records we had, but as i said then.....you can't leave it up to equations. you've got to win the games that matter first and foremost. that was life in region c for a while. i didn't hate it...wasn't against it whatsoever, but lawdy if it didn't bite you every so often lol

there are probably a few arguments to be made in that era that the best team in region c didn't even make the playoffs. i recall quite well an 8-0 GW team losing in lebanon that finished 9-1 that was VERY talented and missed out. i can also remember a chilhowie team that lost to GW in the last game of the season that i think went 9-1 and missed. i thought they had an argument of being the best team in the region also (we won that game late in the 4th on a QB sneak if memory serves).

you guys had a playoff caliber team every season. it was a shame for any of us to miss the playoffs with the records we had, but as i said then.....you can't leave it up to equations. you've got to win the games that matter first and foremost. that was life in region c for a while. i didn't hate it...wasn't against it whatsoever, but lawdy if it didn't bite you every so often lol

I am actually one of the Gate City faithfull instead of Lebanon but paid some attention to the Playoff teams in Region C. I remember the GW team that went 9-1 and thought they could have won it all that year if not for the one district loss. That is why I am so happy with the new playoff setup. No longer will be the days of a team having one bad night knock them out of the playoffs.

That is why I am so happy with the new playoff setup. No longer will be the days of a team having one bad night knock them out of the playoffs.

Agreed ... Happened in Region D with Honaker. I think 03-04 they went 9-1 and missed because the loss was a district loss to Haysi. In 04-05 Haysi was 9-1 and missed because they lost to Honaker! Thats very disappointing but those days are over!!!

I am actually one of the Gate City faithfull instead of Lebanon but paid some attention to the Playoff teams in Region C. I remember the GW team that went 9-1 and thought they could have won it all that year if not for the one district loss. That is why I am so happy with the new playoff setup. No longer will be the days of a team having one bad night knock them out of the playoffs.

i actually preferred the 4 team per region playoff system over the 6 team and the current. i've always felt like 6 teams were too many most years. sure, some years it works out, but for the most part, you get some very lackluster teams in that really don't belong. my preference has always been to go to a 4A format with 4 regions and no districts splitting groups. this whole divisonal thing has been nothing but a mess when it comes to playoff seedings and automatic births.

I think the fact that Lebanon hasnt won state puts them a step behind the other programs I listed, but still they are right there.

All time Graham is at the head of that conversation, if were talking about the last 5 or so years leave Graham and Appy off.

I dont want to be accused of being a homer but imo if Lebanon is a step behind Richlands, GC, GW, JI Burton, Appy and Clintwood then Haysi and Honaker are right behind Lebanon. In general, year in and year out Haysi and Honaker are better than most of the schools not listed above.

Granted the last 4 years have been hard for Haysi but if you look at the win percentage from 90-05 its pretty good.

i actually preferred the 4 team per region playoff system over the 6 team and the current. i've always felt like 6 teams were too many most years. sure, some years it works out, but for the most part, you get some very lackluster teams in that really don't belong. my preference has always been to go to a 4A format with 4 regions and no districts splitting groups. this whole divisonal thing has been nothing but a mess when it comes to playoff seedings and automatic births.

Im a fan of a 6A setup w/ 6 equal groups. I will miss the regions, it meant something to be Region D Champs

Agreed ... Happened in Region D with Honaker. I think 03-04 they went 9-1 and missed because the loss was a district loss to Haysi. In 04-05 Haysi was 9-1 and missed because they lost to Honaker! Thats very disappointing but those days are over!!!

03 Honaker was a good team but wouldnt have won region(GC was loaded that season, they were on a different level). 04 Haysi was pretty good and may have stood a chance at winning region

Edited by redtiger

I think I would rather a few lackluster teams get in there and take a beat down than have teams that should absolutely be in there not get in .... No system will ever be perfect and please everybody but that's way i look at it!

One more question. According to the VHSL numbers (which are usually wrong from what ive seen so far) GW is now a single A division 1 team. Is that correct or not?

Yes, correct. They have less than 475 students (the cut-off between D2 and D1).

Thanks for clearing up the D1 question and as for the Lebanon and PV game in 94, that was by far the best game I everwitnessed. My brother was a senior for PV then adn was in on the goal line stop of Maglothilin (not sure how to spell his name). That young man was one tough running back and that Lebanon team was one of the best I ever seen. They had a black kid at wide reciever that could fly as well. Pv went on that year to win state over sussex central 35-12 ( may be wrong on the score) in the mud at bullitt park. Lebanon could have easily won state that year too

Lebanon had two state runner ups in the early 90's then lost to P.V. in 94' in probably one of the best high school games I had seen at that time. 34-33.

Agreed...maybe one of the greatest state semis ever played. It was back and forth. If I am not mistaken, Thomas Jones was on that PV team.

Yes Thomas Jones was a junior on that team. They had a good group of athletes. Don't know if you remember falconfan or not, but it had not rained in a week and Lebanon's field was wet and muddy!The McGlothlin kid went on to Princeton for college and played there, and is a lawyer now I believe.

Yes Thomas Jones was a junior on that team. They had a good group of athletes. Don't know if you remember falconfan or not, but it had not rained in a week and Lebanon's field was wet and muddy!The McGlothlin kid went on to Princeton for college and played there, and is a lawyer now I believe.

Yeah I knew that he went on to play at Princeton. The last I had heard is that he was working for a major company in Japan. It was a great game with two great backs. I think Lebanon had to go for the two point conversion at that point. Stopping PV and Jones in OT would have been a huge task for any team.

Just like that pink energizer bunny. Maybe the Falcons should consider renaming their football team THE PINK BUNNIES.

Just like that pink energizer bunny. Maybe the Falcons should consider renaming their football team THE PINK BUNNIES.

Asgard...first you sure did get your screen name right. I never said one thing about the Falcons being tough.

Edited by falconfan1

What I like most is the part that District champs no longer get automatic bids. Would have been just as happy with a 16 team statewide playoff instead of the 32 team one but it is what it is. Did not mean it to look like I like the new system because of letting so many teams in. I like it for two reasons. One being what I said about District champs and the other is doing away with Regions. I never did like Regional playoffs. Most times you would see the same team in the Regions that you saw in the regular season. Sometimes that was a good thing but the new setup gives way for teams to play others they have never played before. Makes it more exciting.

What I like most is the part that District champs no longer get automatic bids. Would have been just as happy with a 16 team statewide playoff instead of the 32 team one but it is what it is. Did not mean it to look like I like the new system because of letting so many teams in. I like it for two reasons. One being what I said about District champs and the other is doing away with Regions. I never did like Regional playoffs. Most times you would see the same team in the Regions that you saw in the regular season. Sometimes that was a good thing but the new setup gives way for teams to play others they have never played before. Makes it more exciting.

i always liked the district champs getting in, but i definitely understand where you are coming from there. the divisions have always been my beef with the former playoff format. only because the districts were not divided up accordingly. having D1 and D2 teams in the same districts really muddied things up. if D1's played in the same districts as other D1's, i think the old system would have worked out great. it would basically be the equivalent to a 6A format.

not to say i want a 6A system....i do think that's a bit overkill. 4A or 5A would be very simple and functionable, in my opinion.

letting 32 teams in the playoffs is what it is, i suppose. i can't say that i don't like it, but i definitely can't say that i do. take james river, for example. that school is east of roanoke. it's not an impossibility for them to be a 16 seed and have to travel all the way to gate city on a friday nite. long bus ride to play a game against an opponent who outmatches you significantly. also, if i recall correctly, there are 23 West D1 schools. all but 7 will make the cut into the playoffs. just really takes away from the regular season. it's nearly turned into an 11 week preseason lol

there's no perfect system really. i don't hate any of them. just gotta play the hand you're dealt and deal with it on the field.

I really do like the new playoff system for Divisions 1 and 2. The only way to improve it would be to cut the number of teams that get in from 16 to 12 for each bracket and give the top 4 seeds 1st round byes. Just like the old system we are gonna have 4-6 and possibly 3-7 teams getting in.

The flip side to having 16 teams in, is more high school football. So not entirely a bad thing.

Although the season just started i'm already anxious for the playoffs just to see the matchups! Looking forward to some unusual ones!

I really do like the new playoff system for Divisions 1 and 2. The only way to improve it would be to cut the number of teams that get in from 16 to 12 for each bracket and give the top 4 seeds 1st round byes. Just like the old system we are gonna have 4-6 and possibly 3-7 teams getting in.

I couldn't agree with this more if you had included "..and deuceswild is amazing at everything" at the very end.

Guest lookoutmountain
Program wise they are definitely on the level of Richlands and Gate City. If Reg IV, Div 3 and Reg D, Div 2 had the amount of competition that Reg C, Div 2 has had, you could draw a more equal comparison. All three programs are by far the winningest in the area. George Wythe, Richlands, and Gate City are the only three SWVA schools to win 100 games from 1999-2010.

JI Burton and Giles are close.

Program wise, they are NOT on the level of Gate City or Richlands and they shouldn't be considered on that level until they've been there and done that much more times than they have actually been there and done that. Now, as for this very year, you better believe it, they are not just on, but maybe above the level of Gate City and Richlands, but the difference, GW can get a team like this once every 5-6 years. GC and Richlands do it ever year or every other year for many years.