toughest team in swva

UNIONFAN

I think the fact that Lebanon hasnt won state puts them a step behind the other programs I listed, but still they are right there.

All time Graham is at the head of that conversation, if were talking about the last 5 or so years leave Graham and Appy off.

I dont want to be accused of being a homer but imo if Lebanon is a step behind Richlands, GC, GW, JI Burton, Appy and Clintwood then Haysi and Honaker are right behind Lebanon. In general, year in and year out Haysi and Honaker are better than most of the schools not listed above.

Granted the last 4 years have been hard for Haysi but if you look at the win percentage from 90-05 its pretty good.

Im a fan of a 6A setup w/ 6 equal groups. I will miss the regions, it meant something to be Region D Champs

03 Honaker was a good team but wouldnt have won region(GC was loaded that season, they were on a different level). 04 Haysi was pretty good and may have stood a chance at winning region

Honaker had some good games against Gate City

02 Gate City 21 to 6

04 Gate City scored with 6 or so seconds on the clock to beat them

Honakers Tyler Patrick liked about 6 inches of pickin up the first to be able to run the clock out.

Cant help but wonder if there was todays playoff format how things could have gone for both tiger teams

Haysis 05 team almost got to state,sure took it to Honaker in the playoffs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Program wise, they are NOT on the level of Gate City or Richlands and they shouldn't be considered on that level until they've been there and done that much more times than they have actually been there and done that. Now, as for this very year, you better believe it, they are not just on, but maybe above the level of Gate City and Richlands, but the difference, GW can get a team like this once every 5-6 years. GC and Richlands do it ever year or every other year for many years.

You're crazy.

If either Richlands or Gate City played in a region that would give them competition then you can talk.

You're crazy.

If either Richlands or Gate City played in a region that would give them competition then you can talk.

A-Men to that.

Richlands has won how many state titles in this time period?....one, right?

George Wythe has won how many state titles in this time period?....one, right?

Who has played in the more difficult region????....George Wythe....

I don't want to hear the crowing from Richlands about dominating this pathetic region over the past 10 years.....Please don't get me wrong...I am NOT criticizing Richlands at all....they've been the only school consistently putting out quality teams in Region IV D-3, it's the other jokers in the same region and division that I'm knocking.

in the 80's and 90's the SWD and Region IV were pretty solid....with the exception of Richlands and Cave Spring being decent for a couple of years......Region IV, Division 3 has been an absolute joke for about 8 years now.....

Honaker had some good games against Gate City

02 Gate City 21 to 6

04 Gate City scored with 6 or so seconds on the clock to beat them

Honakers Tyler Patrick liked about 6 inches of pickin up the first to be able to run the clock out.

Cant help but wonder if there was todays playoff format how things could have gone for both tiger teams

Haysis 05 team almost got to state,sure took it to Honaker in the playoffs

If Haysi was in D1 back in the early 00s the program would have experienced alot of success IMO but we were stuck in D2 w/ schools much larger than us. JI Burton had a very good run at that time but they came along at a very opportune time; Reg C D1 was a little down and Reg D D1 was WAY down, they had an easy run to state(not that those JIB teams werent good).

For example;

In '02 Appy won the region and went to state(they got killed by William Campbell), it took them OT to get by JIB in the playoffs(Haysi and JIB had a double overtime matchup in week 1), I know you cant guarantee success by how 1 team did against another but I think Haysi would have faired well and Appy/JIB/Haysi were a step above anything Reg C D1 had that season

In '03 Haysi had a good team that got to play GC and got destroyed, Haysi didnt play JIB that year but they lost to GC worse than Haysi did, so I will say Haysi would have been competitive. JIB lost to Bath Co that year. Poor Rye Cove was D2 that season and had to play Haysi in round 1(they had no business in D2)

'04 Haysi was solid(went 9-1 didnt make the playoffs), imo that was a better team than in '02 or '03.

'05 won region, got beat handily by Giles

I think both Tiger teams would have drawn high seeds on several occasions and went deep in the playoffs.

You're crazy.

GC has played in a tough region, granted not as tough as Reg C. Powell Valley was good up until the past 3-4 seasons, Honaker is no slouch and Lebanon is a very good program.

Who has Gw played in past few years that is so tough?lol.....

In the past few years GW has had to play the best teams in the Three Rivers District come playoff time. Radford, Floyd and Giles. All four teams mentioned have made state championship apperances with Giles and GW both winning titles since 2000.

Region C D2 has been far more balanced over the last few years than any other region in this area.

just to clarify....

i never said that region c necessarily had the best team in any given year in swva. i just pointed out it was deeper as far as competitiveness especially in D2.

in the time frame we are discussing, there has been about 3 years the (arguably) best region c team didn't even make the playoffs. even more so, there were other years the best team in the region was eliminated before the state semi's.

i am in no way, shape, or form downplaying what richlands and gate city has done over the past 10 years. i truly admire those two programs. nor am i saying they couldn't have done the same if they were in region c as well. i don't feel as if anyone has done that in this thread, either. this region has just been deeper in the 2000's.

the LPD makes a strong case, however. when GC was there, those guys, PV, clintwood, and burton made for a real tough district. outside of honaker's run, i don't think anyone ever really stepped up around them, though.

Radford spanked them 26-0.gate city beat radford 26-14.richlands beat gate city 30-0 .Radford was their toughest game.COME ON MAN!!!!

That's one team....in one year....

Richland's unification of the most talented players from the surrounding area, although good, can't claim to be a whole lot better.

Edited by futbolking

Radford spanked them 26-0.gate city beat radford 26-14.richlands beat gate city 30-0 .Radford was their toughest game.COME ON MAN!!!!

sir, no one is saying that richlands hasn't been a better program over the last decade.

as far as GC and GW, they played twice in that span. split 1-1. both games down to the wire.

richlands had 2 or 3 VERY dominant years in the 2000's. there is no doubt about that. most of the other seasons richlands was also top notch.

and in regards to the gw lost to radford who lost to gc who lost to richlands....that's one season out of 10. it was also one of the best radford teams over that decade and was hands down the best C D2 team. we also lost to them 36-35 in the regular season as well...hardly a spanking. outplayed them, to be honest, but we didn't get the W, and that's what it's all about.

if you're just upset because no one is saying "richlands had the best program in the 2000's" well, here ya go....richlands had the best program in the 2000's. no one is even arguing that fact but you. there isn't a need, i promise.

name a team?

Giles, Radford, Floyd County, Grayson County, Chilhowie, and even Fort Chiswell most recently have out performed a majority of the Reg D Div 2 teams in the last 5 years. Lebanon, Honaker, and Powell Valley haven't been able to cut it. You're strength is D1, JI Burton and Clintwood would easily contend in Reg C D2.

That's one team....in one year....

Richland's unification of the most talented players from the surrounding area, although good, can't claim to be a whole lot better.

" unification " as in like Graham, Bluefield and other area top programs have been accused of doing ? If so be careful about throwing stones, it wasn't that long ago that Graham & Bluefield and others were having the same things said about them !

If I misunderstood your comment then I apologize. It just gets really old hearing those types of comments, especially from fans of teams that have been accused of similar things and should know that kids just want to play for a winner and right now Richlands is a winner and kids want to play for them. Regardless of weather you or I think it is right or wrong.

I hope kids want to keep coming to Richlands to play..........that means we are still one of the top programs around. I'll worry when they stop wanting to come here.

Nothing personal Futbolking I respect your opinion and your post's on here. Just wanted to put my opinion out there.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

" unification " as in like graham use to do ? and many other top programs use to and still do ? Be careful about throwing stones, it wasn't that long ago that Graham & Bluefield and others were having the same things said about them !

There was a time that the entire SWD was formidable and consistent about it.

Guest lookoutmountain
You're crazy.

You do realize Gate City is around the 40th winningest High School Football program in the United States? Brother, Gate City has been doing it for years just like Hampton High, from the old Shoemaker High, to the old Southwest, to the Highlands, to the LPD, and now to their present district, they have won in every district they've been in.

As for Richlands, they played in the SWD with the likes of Graham, Tazewell, and Grundy. Do you wish to count state titles between Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands in the last 25 years and George Wythe's competition. Bottom line, you make yourself look like a fool if you actually think GW's program is equal to that of a Richlands or Gate City. Again, for this very year, you betcha, they are more than on that level, and they may even be a touch better, but as an overall program, you are kidding yourself.

Guest lookoutmountain
A-Men to that.

Richlands has won how many state titles in this time period?....one, right?

George Wythe has won how many state titles in this time period?....one, right?

Who has played in the more difficult region????....George Wythe....

I don't want to hear the crowing from Richlands about dominating this pathetic region over the past 10 years.....Please don't get me wrong...I am NOT criticizing Richlands at all....they've been the only school consistently putting out quality teams in Region IV D-3, it's the other jokers in the same region and division that I'm knocking.

in the 80's and 90's the SWD and Region IV were pretty solid....with the exception of Richlands and Cave Spring being decent for a couple of years......Region IV, Division 3 has been an absolute joke for about 8 years now.....

Richlands has 2 state titles. The one in 92 did count, but most important, you fail to realize Richlands record when they get to the state semi's. They actually win 50 percent or more of the time having played in 4 state championshipss. This is where the theory that Richlands is weak is a bit innacurate. Sure, they can play in a weaker region, but you are still going to have 2-3 teams in the region that are tough and would beat GW on most occasions if they played in the regular season such as Cave Springs, Martinsville, etc. Richlands has played Powell Valley, Gate City, Bluefield, the old Graham (not the new Graham) and has a nice record if all 4 of the teams are combined over the last 10 years against these teams.

Guest lookoutmountain
Giles, Radford, Floyd County, Grayson County, Chilhowie, and even Fort Chiswell most recently have out performed a majority of the Reg D Div 2 teams in the last 5 years. Lebanon, Honaker, and Powell Valley haven't been able to cut it. You're strength is D1, JI Burton and Clintwood would easily contend in Reg C D2.

Of those teams, the only consistent power is Giles. Radford is so up and down as is Grayson and Chilhowie which loses to Marion once out of every 3 years and that speaks for itself. Fort Chiswell is FC and has never won anything. Floyd has 2-3 great years about 8=9 years ago. Powell Valley can't advance because of Gate City, the team Richlands has also beat on a regular basis over the past 10 years.

There are 3 legit East of Roanoke Single A program in Virginia that you can count on to be tough every year for the most part and are known by those on the Eastern side of the state and that is.....Giles, Powell Valley-Union, and Gate City, period. People out East and up North don't know George Wythe, but they do know these 3.

People out East and up North don't know George Wythe, but they do know these 3.

Leave Scott County.

Even with Giles, Radford, and Floyd and ignoring the other ones I mentioned, they would contend for Region D titles regularly. Promise.

Guest bigdaddyd50
Leave Scott County.

Even with Giles, Radford, and Floyd and ignoring the other ones I mentioned, they would contend for Region D titles regularly. Promise.

What Region D? That junk is long gone!!!

Top teams from the hypothetical previously existing Regions C and D as well as the currently existing Southwest District lol. Over the past 15-20 years

GC, Richlands, Powell Valley, Applachia - 2 of those have alot of gold and the other 2 have some and have been very consistant

Giles, George Wythe - have gold and are consistant but not like the others

Lebanon, Clintwood, JI Burton, Grundy - No gold but very good

Haysi, Honaker, Chilhowie - again no gold but very consistant, just not on the level of the above schools

Everyone else