Greenwave / Tigers

redtiger

Clintwood won 35-16, it was 7-0 at Halftime.

Clintwood is a fine team but had their hands full w/ Haysi. Clintwood opened the game in a Power I set and had a hard time moving the ball(solid runs but no big ones) and the Haysi D held. It was only when Clintwood started passing the ball that they were really able to move the ball. Clintwood had a couple of nice pass plays and the QB ran the naked bootleg to perfection, Haysis backside DE just didnt keep contain. Haysi was able to move the ball well, running and passing. Actually drove the field(inside the 10) twice in the 1st half and just couldnt get it in the endzone.

Clintwood had alot of trouble w/ Haysis quickness, they couldnt hold their blocks and Haysi pursued very well, forced runs back inside and filled the gaps.

Haysis QB has been battling injuries so far this season and got banged up again tonight(didnt play most of the 2nd half). He is a HUGE part of the Offense and Defense, without him its a different team. With him I think Clintwood still wins but it would have been alot closer.

3rd quarter Clintwood just blew it open w/ a big run(40+ yds) from Austin Dotson.

Haysi did well and im proud of them, played hard and didnt give up(thats a few things that have been missing for several seasons). If they can keep it up the Tigers will compete for the BDD title, its just a matter of keeping young players motivated and focused

Clintwood won 35-16, it was 7-0 at Halftime.

Clintwood is a fine team but had their hands full w/ Haysi. Clintwood opened the game in a Power I set and had a hard time moving the ball(solid runs but no big ones) and the Haysi D held. It was only when Clintwood started passing the ball that they were really able to move the ball. Clintwood had a couple of nice pass plays and the QB ran the naked bootleg to perfection, Haysis backside DE just didnt keep contain. Haysi was able to move the ball well, running and passing. Actually drove the field(inside the 10) twice in the 1st half and just couldnt get it in the endzone.

Clintwood had alot of trouble w/ Haysis quickness, they couldnt hold their blocks and Haysi pursued very well, forced runs back inside and filled the gaps.

Haysis QB has been battling injuries so far this season and got banged up again tonight(didnt play most of the 2nd half). He is a HUGE part of the Offense and Defense, without him its a different team. With him I think Clintwood still wins but it would have been alot closer.

3rd quarter Clintwood just blew it open w/ a big run(40+ yds) from Austin Dotson.

Haysi did well and im proud of them, played hard and didnt give up(thats a few things that have been missing for several seasons). If they can keep it up the Tigers will compete for the BDD title, its just a matter of keeping young players motivated and focused

I thought Haysi played extremely well. They really did do well on stopping the run . Penaltys hurt them also. #7 made one of the best catches I have ever seen. Hope they got that on a highlight. Clintwood made big plays when they had too and eventually I believe Haysi got tired in the second half.:)

Haysi did wear down but I believe inexperience hurt the Tigers more. The opportunities were there Haysi just couldnt capitalize. Haysi lacks the power running game to force it in when they are inside the 10, if they had a power back or a go-to linemen the team would be much better but they just dont.

Other than 1 offensive series I thought our playcalling was very good.

That Trap play to Dotson was completly unexpected. I thought Clintwood mixed it up pretty good, we just had some blown defensive assignments.

I have been saying for 2 years now that #7(Dakots Stanley) has the best hands ive ever seen. He also is incredible at getting open, hes not physicially dominating but just runs very good routes and sets the defender up. He really understands how to play the position

Edited by redtiger

I thought Haysi played extremely well. They really did do well on stopping the run . Penaltys hurt them also. #7 made one of the best catches I have ever seen. Hope they got that on a highlight. Clintwood made big plays when they had too and eventually I believe Haysi got tired in the second half.:)

Well here is what i saw....Haysi put 9 in the box and in there 1st drive Clintwood stayed in a Power I set and pounded the ball 68 yards from the 30 down to the 2 yard line eating almost the whole 1st qtr...a holding penalty well behind the LOS resulted in a 2 and goal from the 20 which Cwood could not overcome. once Clintwood was able to pass alittle and loosen up the Haysi D there Offence look pretty good......Wave D played well but gave up 2 long passes in 3rd and 20+ and 4th and 20+............

The Wave look weak on kick coverage (no other way to put it if that does not get fixed we are going to have to start squib kicking)

Watch out for Haysi in a year or two.....this seasons success will require a healthy Blair if that happened they will be a top3 BDD team this season

Well here is what i saw....Haysi put 9 in the box and in there 1st drive Clintwood stayed in a Power I set and pounded the ball 68 yards from the 30 down to the 2 yard line eating almost the whole 1st qtr...a holding penalty well behind the LOS resulted in a 2 and goal from the 20 which Cwood could not overcome. once Clintwood was able to pass alittle and loosen up the Haysi D there Offence look pretty good......Wave D played well but gave up 2 long passes in 3rd and 20+ and 4th and 20+............

The Wave look weak on kick coverage (no other way to put it if that does not get fixed we are going to have to start squib kicking)

Watch out for Haysi in a year or two.....this seasons success will require a healthy Blair if that happened they will be a top3 BDD team this season

Wave kick coverage is very weak...look what happened at the Hazard game... This used to be our strength... Penaltys hurt the first drive.. Gavin Meade ..was he being rested a bit last night?

I think Haysi is a top 3 BDD team w/o a healthy Blair; whos gonna be ahead of them? Grundy? Maybe?, TV? Doubt it.

W/ Blair healthy they can challenge Honaker and Hurley.

But youre right, Haysi will be a very good team in the comming years

Gavin Meade ..was he being rested a bit last night?

Still beat up from the Hazard game (We were missing one of our inside backers for the same reason as well as a DB who had a concussion) honestly even though it is early in the season it is a good time for an open week for us

I think Haysi is a top 3 BDD team w/o a healthy Blair; whos gonna be ahead of them? Grundy? Maybe?, TV? Doubt it.

W/ Blair healthy they can challenge Honaker and Hurley.

But youre right, Haysi will be a very good team in the comming years

I may be drinking the Hurly koolaid but I was thinking that they and Honaker would be top 2 with Haysi with a healthy Blair will give eaither a run for there money......Without him they HAVE to get #5 and #7 the ball more

Wave kick coverage is very weak...look what happened at the Hazard game... This used to be our strength...

Ausitn McClannahan(?) #15 is a very good kick returner, he sees the field well. I wish we would use him in he backfield more, not just at WR. He is sturdy enough to carry it between the tackles and definately quick enough to run sweeps or options.

He returned 1 kickoff for a TD last week.

Edited by redtiger

I may be drinking the Hurly koolaid but I was thinking that they and Honaker would be top 2 with Haysi with a healthy Blair will give eaither a run for there money......Without him they HAVE to get #5 and #7 the ball more

I think Hurley and Honaker are the clear favorites(I dont know who I would pick as #1), Haysi looks like #3 to me at this moment. With Blair Haysi can challenge Honaker or Hurley. Youre right, #7(dakota stanley) and #5 (toby edwards) do have to see the ball more and I think that will come w/ time. Against Clintwood Toby lined up in several different positions that he didnt against Castlewood. I think we need to isolate Dakota more, he is a solid WR and can really make the offense dangerous.

With time the offense will come around, I thought Haysi was gonna have to throw the ball ALOT to even be competitive, as it turns out they have a solid running game. Im really impressed w/ the play of the Oline, 4 new starters and 3 sophmores starting. The Tigers have the pieces to be a very dengerous offense, just have to get those pieces in place and get the right mix.

I am a little worried about the pass D but I think alot of that has to do w/ playing the Safety in the box.

What matters most to me is Clintwood had to throw the ball to beat Haysi, that hasnt been the case in several years

Edited by redtiger

old grad here...just got to say...SOMEONE needs to step up and be a leader, first half...looked like clintwood was "just going through the motions"...they lacked the "E". second half....i guess coach lite a fire...somewhat...not taking anything from haysi..they are better than advertised.. CLINTWOOD NEEDS to work on pass defence...seems like we've had this problem ,when we lost coach Neal. kick returns have been a disapointment,, but i guess it will get better...i know...not the same team as past.....but just wait.....for the rest of the story.....................

Clintwood most definitely needs these two weeks to prepare for what is ahead of them, you can see some improvement each week so far. When you take a look at Clintwood's offense and defense only four positions on each side of the ball have starters back from last year's Team. There are player's that got a lot of playing time last year at their current position's but were never regular starters. This year will take a lot of Coaching and a lot of player commitment on and off the field. The talent is there and some of it has yet to grace the field. This Team will have a couple more loss's during the regular season but with the support from Coach's, Family, and Community, this Team will be playoff ready and should make everyone proud to be a Greenwave. Nothing in life will ever be handed to most of these player's. We will get to watch them grow and learn for themselves that the best thing's in life are worth fighting for. Cup look's half full to me.....and these player's know what is expected of them.

• 3 months later...
Clintwood most definitely needs these two weeks to prepare for what is ahead of them, you can see some improvement each week so far. When you take a look at Clintwood's offense and defense only four positions on each side of the ball have starters back from last year's Team. There are player's that got a lot of playing time last year at their current position's but were never regular starters. This year will take a lot of Coaching and a lot of player commitment on and off the field. The talent is there and some of it has yet to grace the field. This Team will have a couple more loss's during the regular season but with the support from Coach's, Family, and Community, this Team will be playoff ready and should make everyone proud to be a Greenwave. Nothing in life will ever be handed to most of these player's. We will get to watch them grow and learn for themselves that the best thing's in life are worth fighting for. Cup look's half full to me.....and these player's know what is expected of them.

Well I was off a bit, only lost one game beyond this post, lol.