Radford @ George Wythe

gwloyal

One of the nastiest rivalries in the New River/SWVA area continues Friday night. Radford is coming off a huge win versus Pulaski County, and has two weeks to prepare. Should be another doozy!

And you have my word....I will try to be as objective as I possibly can in this discussion lol

In my opinion Radford/GW is easily the game of the week in SWVA. As good as GW has looked in the first two weeks, Radford is the only game standing in the way of a perfect 10-0 regular season for GW. Chilhowie and Floyd both look to be down from past seasons.

gwloyal is right. Should be a doozy!

Should be a good game. George Wythe has tons of speed and is loaded this year. I think Radford might be as good as last year if not better, despite the loss of some very good players. Depth is Radfords problem, only 22 on varsity, but all of them are good players. Radfords win over Pulaski is looking more impressive now that the Pulaski played a competitive game with Northside. The Radford / Pulaski County game was only close because of Radford mistakes (5 turnovers and a blocked punt to the 1). Pulaski County only had 1 first down and about 40 yards toward the end of the 3rd quarter. Radford outgained Pulaski 290 to 120. Cant wait until Friday will be a great game.

No particular reason Radford is down to 22 players. They have some really good players, but not alot of them. I dont think it will be a big deal as long as they can limit injuries to one or two out per game and keep 2 or 3 key players healthy. The most important thing is all the players can contribute. I guess it's no different than a team that has 34 players, but 12 of them are really not good athletes, and are just on the team, they are a liability if you put them in on Friday night.

Appreciate the love greenwave. Not sure why you're hating on GW but doesn't really matter. GW/Radford is as GW Loyal says is one of the biggest rival games in SWVA. Going to be dogfight as usual. Probably the two best defensive teams in the region. An inopportune turnover might be the difference in the game. However, I look for it to be a low scoring slugfest until sometime in 2nd half then GW will pop several big plays and come away with the "W". Look for something like 21-7.

What concerns me the most about George Wythe (as a Radford fan) is George Wythe,s team speed. The kid I saw that they had listed at Quarterback, is the same kid that ran a 10.82 100 meters in the state meet. He got second, in most years that would have won the state title. Group A had a very strong field of sprinters, His time would have won Group AA and been in the top three in group AAA. I don't know if this kid played last year ( I don't remember him), But that is very, very, very fast . To put this in perspective David Wilson is on the Virginia Tech track team and is an All -American in the triple jump. He has ran the 100 meters in a few meets and the best time I saw was 10.92 , George Wythe also set a region record in the 4 x 100 meters and I think two of those guys are on the football team. Radford usually is faster or at least as fast as teams they play, but this is one of the few times that they are not.

What concerns me the most about George Wythe (as a Radford fan) is George Wythe,s team speed. The kid I saw that they had listed at Quarterback, is the same kid that ran a 10.82 100 meters in the state meet. He got second, in most years that would have won the state title. Group A had a very strong field of sprinters, His time would have won Group AA and been in the top three in group AAA. I don't know if this kid played last year ( I don't remember him), But that is very, very, very fast . To put this in perspective David Wilson is on the Virginia Tech track team and is an All -American in the triple jump. He has ran the 100 meters in a few meets and the best time I saw was 10.92 , George Wythe also set a region record in the 4 x 100 meters and I think two of those guys are on the football team. Radford usually is faster or at least as fast as teams they play, but this is one of the few times that they are not.

I think you may have our QB and this kid confused. I can't see Willis (QB) running that sort of time. Maybe you are thinking of Hagy (WR/KR)? If so, yes, he did play last season and came on stronger in the second half of the year. Against Tazewell, he had a TD reception and a kickoff return for a TD to open the second half. Fort Chiswell kept him completely out of the game on special teams by quick kicks and squib kickoffs. He is, in fact, the fastest kid on the team. Hagy along with Tolley and Young (who both start at RB) were 3/4ths of of the 4x100 meter team, who also won a state championship in the event.

As a GW fan, my biggest concern is getting that speed thru the cracks of a very good Radford Dline. Our Oline hasn't been bad, but as a whole, that unit is probably our weakest link. That strength vs weakness could make for a tough night for GW.

Very intriguing matchup. GW is definitely a strong team....Radford must be strong, after beating a solid Pulaski team.... I'd give the edge to GW after seeing them in person....but Radford will definitely be well coached....and always seem to have a very good team.

Alot dont like gw cause of past games..alot of bad calls up that way..i know.thats all over but it cooks well up there..a few ruin the gw name..

After seeing GW in person, they definitely won't need the help of the referees this season...