Playoffs

Gym

I would love to see Salem and Richlands in a game again ... Talk about rivalries!

No Doubt!!! Would be awesome to see!! I know Richlands fans travel well and i am assuming Salem fans travel well also. Not to mention the unbiased fans from neither school that would come to see that game. Game would be packed out!!!!!

... I just thought that if they were to play a few teams that we better it would get them ready for the playoffs

I don't believe in that. Look at the ratings/rankings of opponents for Poquoson, Brookville and Richlands. B & R are about even, yet the Bees got smacked. Poq.s sched. doesn't look that much diff. from the Blues, but 1 of them had to lose.

I think the playoffs hinge more on key players being uninjured, the weather, heart and hustle, catching a break, conditioning, and having good refs... so SOS isn't in my top 6.

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/mastergames_byyear_byteam.cfm?ID=10301&GY=2010 - Brookville

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/mastergames_byyear_byteam.cfm?ID=10301&GY=2010 - Richlands

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/mastergames_byyear_byteam.cfm?ID=10558&GY=2010 - Poquoson

Edited by VHSLhelper

I'm not saying that I wanted to switch but the goal for Richlands every year is to win state they are at a place when Region championships are a everyday thing what 6 or 7 in a row, but how many state titles in that span. Not downing Richlands at all, I just thought that if they were to play a few teams that we better it would get them ready for the playoffs

Have you got any suggestions of a team we could play and they would actually play us. As said numerous times before, nobody in the Roanoke valley area wants to travel to Richlands everyother year, so who could we play that we don't. We already have about 3 road trips a year of 2 hours or MORE for the kids on a bus and that is a lot of travel for a high school team. Some of the local teams consolidating may help with schedule strength as Union looks like they may be pretty tough this year. I wish the G-men and Tazwell would consolidate then maybe they would be competitive.

They won't put tazewell and graham together and leave richlands alone.....i'm not putting richlands down at all but evey time some one says anything about richlands if they are not from richlands everybody gets defensive...i can say what i want havent been mean or talked trash just saying thats what i would do...again i have family in richlands not downing them

They won't put tazewell and graham together and leave richlands alone.....i'm not putting richlands down at all but evey time some one says anything about richlands if they are not from richlands everybody gets defensive...i can say what i want havent been mean or talked trash just saying thats what i would do...again i have family in richlands not downing them

Most of us are not getting defensive but just trying to explain why we have the schedule we have. We hear the same thing every year about the schedule.

We respect your opinion and your right to it...........we're just giving ours.

Following article Roanoke Times is about trying to reduce travel time for high school teams. The story says it all...the administrators for the Roanoke area schools are trying too actively schedule closer to their area. Also, included in story, Patrick Henry and Wm. Fleming trying to "drop" for this reason.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/297886

Thursday, September 08, 2011

By Courtney Cutright

excerpt:

A trip for athletes from Roanoke's Patrick Henry High School to Halifax County High School can span more than 10 hours, Carson said. That includes a 1 p.m. dismissal from school, three-hour bus rides each way, two hours each for the junior varsity and varsity games, and a quick dinner stop at a fast-food joint to be home before midnight.

"Somewhere along the way, they're supposed to be doing homework," he said.

The longest in-district trip for Cave Spring, Hidden Valley and Salem high schools is to Pulaski County High School, which is about 125 miles round trip.

Have you got any suggestions of a team we could play and they would actually play us. As said numerous times before, nobody in the Roanoke valley area wants to travel to Richlands everyother year, so who could we play that we don't. We already have about 3 road trips a year of 2 hours or MORE for the kids on a bus and that is a lot of travel for a high school team. Some of the local teams consolidating may help with schedule strength as Union looks like they may be pretty tough this year. I wish the G-men and Tazwell would consolidate then maybe they would be competitive.

They will not just consolidate Tazewell and Graham and leave Richlands alone... Tazewell and Richlands are around the same number of kids in their high schools.... Yes Richlands has had a great run the past 7 to 8 years maybe a few more added to that... But they are gonna start going down next year or year after.... It's been proven you can't stay on top for ever! Just ask Graham! But again IF THEY EVER consolidate in Tazewell County they will not just use two schools and not the other!

They will not just consolidate Tazewell and Graham and leave Richlands alone... Tazewell and Richlands are around the same number of kids in their high schools.... Yes Richlands has had a great run the past 7 to 8 years maybe a few more added to that... But they are gonna start going down next year or year after.... It's been proven you can't stay on top for ever! Just ask Graham! But again IF THEY EVER consolidate in Tazewell County they will not just use two schools and not the other!

I was just trying to make a point to Gym about our scheduling problems. I hope that they never consolidate any teams in Southwest Virginia. I always routed for the Bulldogs and G-men when we were not playing them and will continue to do so. I am true Southwest Virginia football fan. Anytime a team from this area plays anybody from the Eastern parts of Virginia and I mean east of Marion I pull for our local teams. And I agree that Richlands is up right now but we all know it runs in cycles and we will be down eventually. I have nothing but respect for the accomplishments of the G-men and Bulldogs over the years. I am pulling for them to get it together soon so we have those great games like Richlands did last week against Union. There is just something about a close high school football game. They are the best of all levels of football in my opinion.