Clintwood versus Union

wave316

Im a strong supporter of the power running game because of what was mentioned eariler, Clock managment! I love the the running game in highschool football but when you stack 22 players in a 10 yard area it takes a Jones brother or a Clark brother or a Sinsebaugh (i know thats not spelled right) to run up the gut. All 4 of union's games have been decided primarily because of the pass game. two 4th down touchdowns to win against lee and VHS on passes and 200 plus passing yards against lebanon to win. IMO and i may be wrong but the play action pass and slant routs out of the I are the point makers for any power running team.

Furthermore, Clintwood will be facing a fullback from Union that can pound the ball like a tank and a 10th grader that has the best ball carrier vision ive seen in a long time, so the run gamewill be there but thta quick pass will win this game for Union. Also, conditioning will play a HUGE part in this matchup. As any honest richlands fan will tell you, Union is one of the best conditioned teams in swva. They play the last minute just as hard as they play the first one. If clintwood isnt conditioned (which they usually are) itll be a run away in the 4th quarter. If Clintwood is conditioned itll be a tight game till the final buzzer sounds. Either way IMO union wins 21ish to 17ish

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree with Unionfan that they are a very well conditioned team. Against us, they played hard on every snap from beginning to end and they are just about where I thought they would be after watching them.

A very good team!

Im a strong supporter of the power running game because of what was mentioned eariler, Clock managment! I love the the running game in highschool football but when you stack 22 players in a 10 yard area it takes a Jones brother or a Clark brother or a Sinsebaugh (i know thats not spelled right) to run up the gut. All 4 of union's games have been decided primarily because of the pass game. two 4th down touchdowns to win against lee and VHS on passes and 200 plus passing yards against lebanon to win. IMO and i may be wrong but the play action pass and slant routs out of the I are the point makers for any power running team.

Furthermore, Clintwood will be facing a fullback from Union that can pound the ball like a tank and a 10th grader that has the best ball carrier vision ive seen in a long time, so the run gamewill be there but thta quick pass will win this game for Union. Also, conditioning will play a HUGE part in this matchup. As any honest richlands fan will tell you, Union is one of the best conditioned teams in swva. They play the last minute just as hard as they play the first one. If clintwood isnt conditioned (which they usually are) itll be a run away in the 4th quarter. If Clintwood is conditioned itll be a tight game till the final buzzer sounds. Either way IMO union wins 21ish to 17ish

Should be a heck of a game I look forward to seeing how Unions FB matchs up against Cwoods LBs

I think the Union Bears are a much better team than last year's PV or Appy teams. The improvements include the performance of their O & D lines. First the return of Evan Orr has really helped. His play has been solid - he's big enough to hold his own, at 6'3" 280 lbs, and has played really smart. Although both the Vikings and Bulldogs had some holes in their young lines last year, pulling the best lineman from each team and combining them this year has made quiet a difference. In all four games so far, Union's play and depth along the line has been a factor, especially in the last quarter. But the Bears still have some growing to do.

I tend to think that the Wave should be the favorite in the game this Friday but I think the Bears continue to improve enough to make it a good game. I suspect the teams are close & that turnovers may be the deciding factor. Let me be fair - if Clintwood had not lost a game by 50 points, I'd surely be picking them to easily beat Union. But I don't see how a quality team, like the Clintwood I saw last season, can lose a game by that much. So, just based on that, I've got to believe the Bears have a chance to win.

i just got a glimpse of the news the other day...a 40 year soap was cancelled....like thats big news....but a new episode is begining to emerege here in SWVA!!!....CAN THE ONCE PROUD GREENWAVE, AFTER HAVING THEIR PRIDE KNOCKED FROM THEM AT HOME (hazard)....only to briefly regain some pride at sandlick......go to grayson county, play like a jv team.....then go to lebanon, to a least get some respect...may have have got some, or not........i don't know.... LPD ..........now the vikedogs...uh union bears ,come to town.....still the same, wave...beat appy last year....wave beat pv last year..... clintwood ...in a good ole LPD knockout!!!!! we'll be a waitin for ya gcdevils47....bears and wave..............

i just got a glimpse of the news the other day...a 40 year soap was cancelled....like thats big news....but a new episode is begining to emerege here in SWVA!!!....CAN THE ONCE PROUD GREENWAVE, AFTER HAVING THEIR PRIDE KNOCKED FROM THEM AT HOME (hazard)....only to briefly regain some pride at sandlick......go to grayson county, play like a jv team.....then go to lebanon, to a least get some respect...may have have got some, or not........i don't know.... LPD ..........now the vikedogs...uh union bears ,come to town.....still the same, wave...beat appy last year....wave beat pv last year..... clintwood ...in a good ole LPD knockout!!!!! we'll be a waitin for ya gcdevils47....bears and wave..............

haha that sounds like an amazing opening to a show....and i will see you guys november sir!

I think the Union Bears are a much better team than last year's PV or Appy teams. The improvements include the performance of their O & D lines. First the return of Evan Orr has really helped. His play has been solid - he's big enough to hold his own, at 6'3" 280 lbs, and has played really smart. Although both the Vikings and Bulldogs had some holes in their young lines last year, pulling the best lineman from each team and combining them this year has made quiet a difference. In all four games so far, Union's play and depth along the line has been a factor, especially in the last quarter. But the Bears still have some growing to do.

I tend to think that the Wave should be the favorite in the game this Friday but I think the Bears continue to improve enough to make it a good game. I suspect the teams are close & that turnovers may be the deciding factor. Let me be fair - if Clintwood had not lost a game by 50 points, I'd surely be picking them to easily beat Union. But I don't see how a quality team, like the Clintwood I saw last season, can lose a game by that much. So, just based on that, I've got to believe the Bears have a chance to win.

Well I can understand that The Grayson/Clintwood game reminded me ALOT of the Clintwood/PVgame in 00(Cwood lost by 30+ but came back in the Region D championship game vs the same PV team and came out with the win).....That being said Hazard and Grayson were preatty dang good teams if Union is on there level then CWood will have its hands full.

That being said BOTH teams need a quality win (Clintwood has only beaten a down Lebanon team and a Young but talanted Haysi team) (Union has its wins over the same Lebanon team, a Lee team that is winless outside the Cumberland district and a VHS team that lost to JB buy 3 scores)

Union plays a solid game with the style they play but yes counts youre right, they need a win over a solid opponent and so does clintwood. I look for this to be a low scoring affair, and whoever wins will do so in the 4th quarter. That being said Union's depth and conditioning will be the biggest factor of this ball game. Clintwood has some kids that wont be 100% and idk if their depth is what it used to be. Look for Union to rotate players on the O and D line all night to keep em fresh. Its gonna be a good game and one i wont miss if the good lord wills and the pound river dont rise

Have to agree with UnionFan, Bears take this one in a close, low-scoring game, maybe 15-14. Union is not worldbeaters, but they do play some nice old-school, Tom-Turner brand of football, up the gut for 3 and before you know it a quarter has went by and they are standing near the goal line. Get em Bears.

Have to agree with UnionFan, Bears take this one in a close, low-scoring game, maybe 15-14. Union is not worldbeaters, but they do play some nice old-school, Tom-Turner brand of football, up the gut for 3 and before you know it a quarter has went by and they are standing near the goal line. Get em Bears.

Old school football is what Clintwood enjoys also. Clintwood has a good run defense so the Bears better have a pass or two up their sleeves. Last two or three years Phil Robbins tried to run on the Wave and not pass and got outscored by nearly 40 points in each game..

Clintwood has some kids that wont be 100%e

Baring anything this week in practice they will be closer to 100% than at any time this season.....I will agree that Unions ability to 2 platoon could be an issue however with Both Cwood and Union using the power running game it should shorten the game making it less of a factor.....Turnovers and ST play will play a big part in this one

Well I can understand that The Grayson/Clintwood game reminded me ALOT of the Clintwood/PVgame in 00(Cwood lost by 30+ but came back in the Region D championship game vs the same PV team and came out with the win).....QUOTE]

That was in 1999, not 2000. I remember that season well.

You are correct I got my years screwed up LOL (It was also 1st round of the playoffs and not the region Championship)

Yep that was 99. I played then. That fullback that Clintwood had played the biggest role in that playoff game. He was the one that we forgot about so to speak and he burned us. Hamilton was kept in check but he had some good runs late in the game. The Honaker twins that played on Clintwoods line that year were freaking monsters as well. That was one of the most unforgettable moments of my life

Yep that was 99. I played then. That fullback that Clintwood had played the biggest role in that playoff game. He was the one that we forgot about so to speak and he burned us. Hamilton was kept in check but he had some good runs late in the game. The Honaker twins that played on Clintwoods line that year were freaking monsters as well. That was one of the most unforgettable moments of my life

The FB at the time was B.J. Davis. Seeing him bust through the line and create a hole for Justin was an amazing sight. He was and still is a flat out beast.

as far as Union's passing game, they won all their games on the passing game. 200 plus passing yards against Lebanon, 4th and 7 pass td against VHS two big passes against Lee high for over 50 yards each. Union can pass but running is what they like to do. Clintwood has a typical clintwood style O and D from what i hear, which will make for one hell of a ball game!

Union might not always throw for a lot of yards in a game, but they can throw it well enough to make any team they play have to respect their ability to. They threw it pretty well against the blues in that game. It wasn't 300 yards or any great number like that, but it was well enough to keep em honest most of the game.

I guess the talking is over with since the game will kickoff in approximately 3 hours. Im going to make the trip to Clintwood just to see if your predictions of Clintwood pummeling Union takes place. The only waves I see that will be rolling tonight in Dickenson county will be on Flannagan lake. Here we come, stop us. Good luck and happy game tonight guys. Union 20 Clintwood 7.

I guess the talking is over with since the game will kickoff in approximately 3 hours. Im going to make the trip to Clintwood just to see if your predictions of Clintwood pummeling Union takes place. The only waves I see that will be rolling tonight in Dickenson county will be on Flannagan lake. Here we come, stop us. Good luck and happy game tonight guys. Union 20 Clintwood 7.

Funny your predicted score --20 to 7 was correct until the third quarter...And all the folks who were lauding how conditioned the Bears were in earlier posts...looked like the Wave were in great condition too! Union better recover from this game fast for when they travel to play my friend Coach Robbie Norris and his Sullivan North team it could be another defeat. #27 for Union played a great game but after the Wave figured out how to stop the outside pitch play ..it went downhill. #12 had a good game too.

It was a good game Cwood moved the ball well the whole game but had 4 fumbals and a pick 6 in the 1st half alone Union looked to run away with in going up 20-0 in the 1st 14 mins of the game however Cwood was able to stop #12 and figure out the quick pitch in the 2nd half at which point Union had to goto the air and quite frankly could be a dang good team doing that as there primary offence.

Next week Cwood D gets it chance to do what no one else has been able to do so far this season and contain Graham

i think the wave showed some character, by coming back down by 3 tds ,they played with pride iin 2n half...have to say mullins kid #12 for wood when he was goin for two, laid the hardest hit i'd ever seen in along time. on #19 for union.

All five Union Bears games have been decided in the last period of the contest and the Bears could very well be 5-0 or 0-5 at this point in the season. Looking at the schedule, I think the Bears fans are in for more exciting games. Union has played a very solid schedule - and I noted that all five of the Bears' opponents won last night, Lee, Richlands, Lebanon, Va High, and Clintwood. The remaining teams on the schedule are Sullivan North, Wise Central, Gate City, JIB, and Thomas Walker.

I think last night's game at RCS was decided by turnovers, as I'd suggested in my earlier post as a possibility. The Bears jumped out on the Green Wave because Clintwood had a couple of first quarter turnovers and the Wave come back was helped by four second half Bear turnovers. The rain made conditions ripe for turnovers but otherwise I think both teams can take positive things from the game and both teams are still in line for playoffs (& the records that I projected pre-season: Clintwood 8-2 and Union 6-4).

Games that surprised me last night were Grundy beating Castlewood & Abingdon beating John Battle. Results that did not surprise me were the Richlands and JIB big wins.