Oak Hill Academy Coming to Hurley

mdotson98

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beat twin valley by 20 easily.... idk, tv gave them everything they wanted last year, and were leading by 4 points with 3 minutes to go, bad shots, and lack experience killed them.

I'm not saying TV isn't any good. I'm just saying Hurley is on a whole different level.

I have Hurley's full schedule, they are in the VA high tournament again this year, not sure what the name of that tournament is however. They also travel down to TN high for the Arby's Classic where they should face some very very good teams. They also play two game real early on the schedule against Logan and Mingo Central, don't really know anything about either one of those teams. They will once again be road warriors for a while as they do not have a home game until after the new year. With it being the senior year for Hurley's BIG 3, I am expecting them to have another very sucessful season.

Arby's is great competition.

I usually do not post anymore, because I am out of high school and doing my own thing, but I did go to a few games last year, and I will just say this....competition has decreased dramatically each year over the past 6 or 7 years...not taking anything away from this Hurley team, but from 2005-2009 they would have just been another team, more than half of the teams in the area were wayyyyy better than they are now! With that said, best of luck to all SWVA teams this year!

I usually do not post anymore, because I am out of high school and doing my own thing, but I did go to a few games last year, and I will just say this....competition has decreased dramatically each year over the past 6 or 7 years...not taking anything away from this Hurley team, but from 2005-2009 they would have just been another team, more than half of the teams in the area were wayyyyy better than they are now! With that said, best of luck to all SWVA teams this year!

Dream on hooker lol

Well the way I see it, any of the Honaker, Haysi, Council teams up through about 2004, then the TV and Honaker teams from 2006-2009 could beat this Hurley team. The council teams from early in the decade, and TV teams from the later part in the decade would beat this Hurley team by 10+...agreed Hurley should go all the way this year, and this is kind of a pointless argument...I am just stating that competition has gone wayyy down! Anyone who disagrees with that statement obviously did not watch much basketball from 5-10 years ago, to nowadays! Again....best of luck to all the teams in the area!!

I think you are off your rocker,I watched all those teams play,the Council team with Nuckles was very good,but they would not beat Hurley by 10+.The others you mentioned were probably close,but I don't see them being better.

I can appreciate your opinion, and I hope you respect mine...I just do not see the tall skinny kid from Hurley doing anything with Nuckles, Jacob Colley, Matt Baldwin...and Council from 2001 and TV from 2006 beat Hurley by 20+ easily...all 5 starters on each team scored over 1000 points when the competition was 10fold better than nowadays...not trying to cause controversy....but I think anyone who thinks this years Hurley team could make it a decent game with either of those teams are crazy! Those two teams are arguable two of the best SWVA has ever seen!

Well I will say this I do believe the BDD is the weakest I have seen it in quiet a while. Then on the part about comparing the current Hurley team with the 2006 Twin Valley team and the 2001 Council team. I know everyone will say I am just saying this because I am a Hurley fan. Honestly I do believe that Hurley is a better team than those two. Within the first few games of this upcoming season both Austin Cooper and Dustin Waynick will join teammate Tyler Cooper in Hurley's 1000's point club. I have seen teams with very talented players in SWVA and big scorers but never have I seen one team have three big scorers like this team does. On any given night any of the three can go for 20+.

Edited by mdotson98

Jeremy Ratliff, Ryan Ratliff, Ben Jackson, Brad Nuckles, and James Nuckles....all scored over 1000...Logan Shortridge, Kent Goodman, K.T. Vandyke, Jermiah Lester, and Matt Baldwin...all scored over 1000!

What was the graduation years of the 5 players from each team did they have to play with each other the whole 4 years or did they all graduate at different times. Hurley will have 3 from this class so they each have been able to get a 1000 while having 2 other teammates scoring 1000 during their 4 years.

the council team that won state would beat this hurley team by about 30 if they wanted....the twin valley team in 2006 would beat them but they would have a tougher time, but in the end they would....the twin valley team had 5 starters that could score 20 on any given night, not sure how you don't think they could...im pretty sure each one of them had at least one 20 point game...tyler was the player of the year but he split it with the division 1 player of the year, nuckles didn't share it....council would beat that team just because of him...i understand your argument on the twin valley team becasue they had no big super star like nuckles but they were pretty legit from top to bottom...they also beat the oak hill red team by 50 at home that year

I just thought about this its still real early to think about this but it is really possible that the current starting 5 could actually have four 1000 point scorers on it. Starting point guard Wesley Peck scored a little over 200 points in his freshman season last year. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't score about the same if not more this season. Then when Austin, Tyler, and Dustin graduates, I would imagine Peck would become more of a scorer in his junior and senior seasons. So I could seriously see him getting his 1000 as well.

goodman, lester, vandyke, and shortridge graduated together....kent came the last year but he played with some 1000 point scorers at council in his three years there and actually had his 1000 before he came to twin valley....lester and shortridge got it their senior year but in the previous years played with another 1000 point scorer in nick harman, baldwin got his in his senior year, but he also played with harmon and the other two....i don't remember vandyke getting his thousand but was like maybe less than 50 away

but that team was so good defensively though, they were tough....they were fast at he guard position, kt was the best on the ball defender i have seen in a while...baldwin could guard any post they seen, and the rest were just really smart players that had high basketball iq's, and when they played zone they could cheat casue baldwin had the middle taken care of

Hurley's basketball team is preety darn good, they could beat any team Hurley has played in the last few years. One thing wrong with the Hurley team is they are loaded wiht seniors.

Four of the starting 5 are seniors but they very well could be another good run for Hurley coming in the next couple years they are a really good group of boys that are in the 7th grade right now. With a couple other good players in the 6th and the 8th.

you talking about wes being young just gives me another reason why twin valley would beat them....kt and kent would dog him and he wouldn't be able to get the ball up the floor if they had to play man...but i think they could just play zone and be fine

Come on out and check out some games this year and see first hand what a great point guard he is. I am sure from the way you are talking he will definatly surprise you.

For Peck to be as young as he is, he's the real deal. Great ball handler and you wont see many less than perfect passes leave his hands. He can absolutely shoot the lights out from beyond the arc as well.

i seen him play last year and i am sure he is better this year, and i even like the kid so i aint trying to talk bad about him or anything or disrespect him at all, its nothing like that...but to compare him to kt as a senior he aint there yet...maybe he will be but not yet