Oak Hill Academy Coming to Hurley

mdotson98

I wish the best of luck to this Hurley team, I truly do, but Council would beat them by as much as they wanted too...the 2001 team that is, and the TV 2006 team would have hung 90 on them, KT and Kent would have dogged the crap out of the Hurley guards, they were something else...Garrett Horne from the 08 and 09 TV teams is probably one of the best point guards to play in the BDD in a long time, better than KT in my opinion, I hope the best for the Peck kid, seems like a smart kid, but he has a long way to go to even be considered being mentioned with those two guys!! And the 08-09 TV team was pretty darn good too, I never seen that team lose many games and were state competitors every year, and were a very deep team with Simpson, Smith, and Horne leading the way! I don't know how well Hurley of this year could hold up with these teams!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, and remember I said my opinion, this Hurley team is the best pure shooters and most versatile group in a LONG time. These guys can hit from anywhere on the floor. Tyler Cooper is a sharpshooter. Doesn't matter if you get a hand in his face or not, he'll find a way to make it drop. If Austin Cooper gets hot, watch out because he will drop some big #'s on you. Wes Peck will shoot the lights out at any given moment. Dustin Waynick is the kind of big man you would rather not face. His ability to space the floor makes him dangerous. Any given night any of these guys can go off and most nights at least 2 of them will.

In my opinion, and remember I said my opinion, this Hurley team is the best pure shooters and most versatile group in a LONG time. These guys can hit from anywhere on the floor. Tyler Cooper is a sharpshooter. Doesn't matter if you get a hand in his face or not, he'll find a way to make it drop. If Austin Cooper gets hot, watch out because he will drop some big #'s on you. Wes Peck will shoot the lights out at any given moment. Dustin Waynick is the kind of big man you would rather not face. His ability to space the floor makes him dangerous. Any given night any of these guys can go off and most nights at least 2 of them will.

AMEN!!! Preach it brother!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I believe some people just don,t realize how dangerous this Hurley team is but everyone will find out in less than two months when they begin their run at state again.

No disrespect to anyone on this post, but comparing any two teams from different eras is a crazy, foolish thing to do. That's like sitting here debating whether the 85 bears defense is better than the steel curtain, or the 92 Duke Blue Devils and the 82 Tar Heels. You will never know the answer to this question because all you can do is look at the match-up and say well this player is better than this one and so on and so fourth. But you can never truly say well whose going to be able to stop who because whenever you look at it all you can do is assume what can happen. So unless we can send Hurley back in time to challenge them we will never know. So in my eyes council was the best of their era, same for TV and now its Hurley's time. And once their time is gone the torch gets passed down to the next good team. So how about we get back to discussing the upcoming season not the ones that have gone.

Any ideas on who will be the biggest contenders for the region title?

I look for Hurley, Castlewood, and Twin Springs to be the top contenders in the region with Hurley the heavy favorite.

In D1, Hurley is definatly the favorite to repeat and I also see Twin Springs being tough yet again this season. Not to sure about Castlewood not sure of what they have back.

Castlewood picks up Edmonds and Hileman from St Paul which will make them a lot better than last year. I see the starting five being Austin, Hileman, Edmonds, Kennedy, and Jessee. Kennedy and Jessee give them size inside and the other 3 are talented guards so they should have a well balanced team. They have several good shooters on the team. They will also have a lot of depth on the bench. I think the difference between them and Hurley is that Hurley is a little more talented at every position but I think Castlewood might can give them a good challenge if the two teams face.

tpotter9, you are right haha! But it still is fun to think about...if we could put TV 09, TV 06, Council 01, and Hurley 2011 in one bracket and let them all pool play eachother haha, too bad we don't have the kind of technology for that time travel yet lol

council would win that one....and i agree that you can't go back and compare teams, its kind of crazy, but interesting to talk about in a way...i just got one more thing to say and im done, so if anyone else wants to get the last word on me this is good chance cause we could argue about this till the season starts lol....idk if garrett was better than kt or not, but i can see why you would argue that...and lastly, talking about shooters everywhere, to think that twin valley's 2006 team wasn't like that is crazy....kent was one of the best long range shooters the bdd has ever seen, kt could light it up, and so could shortridge, and lester could hit from outside and put him at the foul line and baldwin in the post, and that was pretty tough to guard...but like i said, someone will come up with something about huley that is better than this so we'll just keep on going if we wanted too....so it's been fun, and like whiteflight said wish we could actually see these teams play but we can't....ya'll have a good one, and good luck to all the teams, we can talk more basketball when the season actually gets here

NOwadays, players play 4 years of varsity ball averaging 25+ games a year counting tournaments. You can average 10 point per game in your 4 years and get 1000 points. Years ago, you played only 2 years of varsity and if you were really goo d, you got brought up the 2nd semester of your 10th grade year. Hurley has had 1 true 1000 point scorer- "Stretch" Mounts scored over 1000 in a little over 2 years. He and the Cole brothers from Whitewood and Robinson from Whitewood and I am sure a few others from other county schools did this. Stretch averaged right at 30 points a game his JR and SR year against way better competition. If you watch and listen to the big time Div 1 player high school statistics, if they play 3 years and few play 4 years, they score 2500-3000 points, some more. Just look in the papers during basketball season and someone gets their 1000 points almost nightly. Like I said, if you play 4 yrs of varsity ball and can't get a 1000 points, you are pretty weak on the offensive side of the ball. Really, after 4 years of varsity and you are considered a scorer versus weak competition, you should have at least 1800-2000 points (avg of 18-20 points per game)

NOwadays, players play 4 years of varsity ball averaging 25+ games a year counting tournaments. You can average 10 point per game in your 4 years and get 1000 points. Years ago, you played only 2 years of varsity and if you were really goo d, you got brought up the 2nd semester of your 10th grade year. Hurley has had 1 true 1000 point scorer- "Stretch" Mounts scored over 1000 in a little over 2 years. He and the Cole brothers from Whitewood and Robinson from Whitewood and I am sure a few others from other county schools did this. Stretch averaged right at 30 points a game his JR and SR year against way better competition. If you watch and listen to the big time Div 1 player high school statistics, if they play 3 years and few play 4 years, they score 2500-3000 points, some more. Just look in the papers during basketball season and someone gets their 1000 points almost nightly. Like I said, if you play 4 yrs of varsity ball and can't get a 1000 points, you are pretty weak on the offensive side of the ball. Really, after 4 years of varsity and you are considered a scorer versus weak competition, you should have at least 1800-2000 points (avg of 18-20 points per game)

Not everyone plays a weak schedule. After this year, 3 of Hurley's starting 5 will have reached the 1,000 point mark. If you think that is nothing then you are sadly mistaken.

Here's my question.....

Get a little vs. going on this fantasy basketball haha... Say you can put your best two teams in school history to play for the berth to play the rest of the districts best.... gotta be from the mid 90's (except for Cooper's 80's squad) on cause I think all that 70's Whitewood dropping 130 in the crackerjack box is a different era no 3 point etc..... shorts with belts haha etc....

The past two years Hurley team whichever one you want say this year they should be better year older, off season, deeper bench with Gibson and Berg-lowe, vs Mark Cooper's Hurley team that made it to the Region with Cooper and Bill Christian etc..... who wins that game?

I also want to see the 2001 State Champion Council Cobras Nuckles averaging 30 points 15 boards 5 blacks a game, Ryan Rasnake, Ben Jackson, Jeremy Ratliff, Cass Harman against the 1996 Council Cobra's 4 1000 point scorers on one squad Mike Ratliff, Neil Rasnake, Chris Tiller (not boobie, oopie) Preston Breeding, Adrian Rasnake...... also Bearded Rick Goodman against Goatee Rick goodman....

Throw in Robby Colley's Jr or Sr year when they got Dustin from Clintwood Jordan Compton, Greg Conway vs Kory Bostic and Blake Owens and some of those teams....

TV's Goodman, Vandyke, Baldwin, Shortridge (Logan) Alex Vandyke, Harmon vs. Simpson, Horne, Smith, Shortridge (Lucas) Beefy,

RIP Garden and the Wood

Grundy doesn't get a say b/c it's Wrestling season and we're talking BDD not Southwest......

back in the olden days.... you had to either win regular season championship to get the automatic bid, or win the tournament or finish runner up to the regular season championship.... used to matter and be some great games....

What year was it that Hurley finished like 3rd or 4th in the District and made a run in the tournament I think even made it to state or something...?

Hard to compare different era's that's what makes sports great.

That'd be some great basketball....

Edited by eastboundanddown

Maybe you didn't reads the post correctly. My point is how many games will these 3 boys have played in 4 years? Counting the tournament games, approximately 110-120 games.; not very hard to do. 1000 point scorers are a dime a dozen now everywhere. Years ago, you may have one o r two every year because you didnt play varsity 4 years. Competition was very much difficult years ago. You can win region and state titles scoring in the 50's with a 3 point line. Not that long ago, you had better score in the 70's at least with no 3 point line.

Maybe you didn't reads the post correctly. My point is how many games will these 3 boys have played in 4 years? Counting the tournament games, approximately 110-120 games.; not very hard to do. 1000 point scorers are a dime a dozen now everywhere. Years ago, you may have one o r two every year because you didnt play varsity 4 years. Competition was very much difficult years ago. You can win region and state titles scoring in the 50's with a 3 point line. Not that long ago, you had better score in the 70's at least with no 3 point line.

And your not getting the point. Between 5 scorers 3 of the will get 1,000 points. And prob four by the time Peck is through. Its not like just one player. Not just one of the shoots the

Lights out of it every game. They share the wealth. And another thing, you think competition was stronger in the 50's and 60's? Your sadly

Mistaking. There was no structured defenses then. If you were 6'4 and had some sort of athletic ability then there was no reason to score 25 points a night. There my have no been a three line, but there was no need in one with the style played in that era. Today's game is structured offense and defense.

Edited by mapper

You figure you play on average 25 games a year... 22 regular season, district play in or tournament, then regional....

4 years on Varsity 25 game average a year.... 10 points a game gets you 1,000.

Is Peck staying at Hurley post Coopers and Waynick? or opting out with 2 years left on his deal?

You figure you play on average 25 games a year... 22 regular season, district play in or tournament, then regional....

4 years on Varsity 25 game average a year.... 10 points a game gets you 1,000.

Is Peck staying at Hurley post Coopers and Waynick? or opting out with 2 years left on his deal?

i can't see him staying after they leave.

tirhjojo since you are so jealous you cant stand it or you are just oblivious to the fact that the big 3 are very talented. You have hated on them on several messages and I cant figure out why you do it. You threw off on the banner for tyler and now this and I think that you are forgetting that tyler has scored his 1000 and make break scoring record and that is after missing several games due to injury/sickness and sitting out due to an altercation last year. And austin played point for several years and anyone who has to be the all-time ball handler for a team will def. have a more difficult time in points category, and waynick as a fresh and soph was a 6'4 165 kid who couldnt move a stick but hes worked hard to develop his strength and his post moves so you also forget when they are young they are still kids they had a lot of growing pains. The teams that you say are weak and not very talented, hurley has played them and normally beaten them, and you must also understand that Mark wont leave them in to run the score up high like some. He will pull every starter he has if he gets a lead no matter if one of the kids have a chance for a record breaking game and I know because I watched him pull his own son when he was close to the mens single game record. And I respect him more for doing it because if you want the record you are going to have to earn against and equal caliber opponent.

As far as a boy's basketball player, Tyler may very well be the best scorer I have seen since I've been watching Hurley basketball. Note that I did not get to personally see the likes of John Potter or Mark Cooper, or even a Alex Clevinger play. However in the time I have been watching Hurley basketball the only player that was as good at scoring as Tyler, would be Heath Estep. Heath was a lot like Tyler in the fact that he could slash down the line take it to the hole and draw the foul. Heath was also a great shooter as is Tyler. I think both players also share a great passion for the game and a huge desire to win. As was previously said Tyler could very well break John Potter school scoring record with a huge season as he has around 1,200 points and Potter had 1,626 points. I do believe however Tyler would much rather have a state championship ring on his finger any day than to have a record. It is gonna be really fun to watch these boys in their quest for a state title this year.