68 Prediction for College Basketball

Ryan4VT

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Sixty-eight-predictions-entering-the-new-college;_ylt=AuNUQEGRNSTD3_pxFZ7cXwo5nYcB?urn=ncaab-wp5911

Pretty good article. This one stands out to me:

9. Selection Sunday once again will be stressful for Virginia Tech. This time the hard-luck Hokies finally sneak into the NCAA tournament.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Sixty-eight-predictions-entering-the-new-college;_ylt=AuNUQEGRNSTD3_pxFZ7cXwo5nYcB?urn=ncaab-wp5911

Pretty good article. This one stands out to me:

9. Selection Sunday once again will be stressful for Virginia Tech. This time the hard-luck Hokies finally sneak into the NCAA tournament.

Nothing about Virginia, but that's OK. That's quite alright...

BTW, I don't see how VT makes it into the tournament this year. VT will be darned lucky to crack 16 wins...

Nothing about Virginia, but that's OK. That's quite alright...

BTW, I don't see how VT makes it into the tournament this year. VT will be darned lucky to crack 16 wins...

I think we can crack 16 wins. Maybe even 20. But with JT going down last week, that severly hurts our chances. But then again, no one ever expects us to do much. And we always end up in the last 4 out.

We've got talent very similar to years past. So I'm predicting 19-20 wins, somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7 in ACC play, a loss in the second round of the ACC tournament, much talk about whether this will be the year Virginia Tech gets into the tournament, then another "snub" by the selection committee.

It's all too predictable.

We've got talent very similar to years past. So I'm predicting 19-20 wins, somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7 in ACC play, a loss in the second round of the ACC tournament, much talk about whether this will be the year Virginia Tech gets into the tournament, then another "snub" by the selection committee.

It's all too predictable.

Your best talent is injured, and you lost one of the best senior classes in your school's history.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm with GMan in his prediction. In an ACC that should be stronger, VT took 3 steps back.

Greenbum has really started turning me against Hokie basketball. When I see us play our disorganized offense and barely beat teams we should thrash and lose to teams we shouldn't, I start rolling my eyes. He's taken us as far as he can take us I'm afraid. Not to mention, I hear he's kinda dootch.

This Hokie fan isn't expecting much out of the upcoming hoops campaign. Looking at it right now, an NIT invite and/or finish above .500 would be a major achievement.

Personally, I like Seth Greenberg. I have to concur with folks who say that he's taken us as far as he can. But relatively speaking, that's pretty far. I realize that the conference has been down (with the obvious exceptions of Carolina and Duke) for the past few years, but the ACC is still the ACC. And we've been a lot more competitive within the league than I dreamed we would back in 2004.

Of course, I also thought Ricky Stokes was close to turning the corner when he was canned.

The one thing I'd dearly love to see is just one recruiting class come into the program and leave completely intact without transfers or injuries. The W/L thing will work itself out whenever we can attain that level of consistency, IMO.

Greenbum has really started turning me against Hokie basketball. When I see us play our disorganized offense and barely beat teams we should thrash and lose to teams we shouldn't, I start rolling my eyes. He's taken us as far as he can take us I'm afraid. Not to mention, I hear he's kinda dootch.

This is kind of how I feel. I hope Hokie basketball does great, but I've lost a bit of faith in coaching. 15 Final Four appearances wouldn't really change my opinion on him. Luckily, he just isn't that great of a coach so it makes my opinion much easier...

This Hokie fan isn't expecting much out of the upcoming hoops campaign. Looking at it right now, an NIT invite and/or finish above .500 would be a major achievement.

Personally, I like Seth Greenberg. I have to concur with folks who say that he's taken us as far as he can. But relatively speaking, that's pretty far. I realize that the conference has been down (with the obvious exceptions of Carolina and Duke) for the past few years, but the ACC is still the ACC. And we've been a lot more competitive within the league than I dreamed we would back in 2004.

Of course, I also thought Ricky Stokes was close to turning the corner when he was canned.

The one thing I'd dearly love to see is just one recruiting class come into the program and leave completely intact without transfers or injuries. The W/L thing will work itself out whenever we can attain that level of consistency, IMO.

I guess that's fair. We have had success quicker than I thought we would. And now that we got a little taste of it, Greenbum hasn't kept us satisfied. I know injuries have been a big deal but the personalities he's brought in isn't what I want... Allen was a thug and Delaney was essentially Allen Iverson with less talent. I liked the Deron Washington, Jamon Gordon, Coleman Collins, Dowdell days where we looked more like a basketball team and less like street punks. Maybe that's just me.

This is kind of how I feel. I hope Hokie basketball does great, but I've lost a bit of faith in coaching. 15 Final Four appearances wouldn't really change my opinion on him. Luckily, he just isn't that great of a coach so it makes my opinion much easier...

Yeah, pretty much. I know it can't be easy to recruit for VT basketball. You're going to be second hand to football, you have to live in Blacksburg, and you have to take your ACC beatings. Hopefully Greenbum can keep us above the water until we break through.

Have to admit that I'm favorably biased toward Greenberg because I've had some personal interaction with him that has been very positive. And I'm generally pretty satisfied with the state of the Hokie hoops program, but I do understand the irritation within the fan base overall. Losing to BC in a completely uninspired way right after beating Duke still bugs the **** out of me. But I'm willing to rationalize the one outcome based on the other.

Like him or not, Greenberg was pretty much a proven entity when he arrived. Fairly stable. Wins the occasional highlight game. But ultimately finishes right around .500 most years. Pretty much the story of his entire career. My guess is that he was brought in to stabilize the program and develop some level of consistency. And if that can be accomplished (we're certainly not there yet in terms of personnel), we'll be in a decent position to attract a successor to Greenberg who can push the program to a higher level.

While a lot of folks try to compare him with Frank Beamer, my opinion is that his historical role in our program is going to be much more analogous to Jerry Claiborne.

Welcome aboard, gentlemen!!! Just wish we could get more folks on this Greenbum bandwagon...

I think the thing I hate most is that most VT fans settle for mediocrity in basketball. To many, just being in the ACC on the same floor with the likes of UNC(heat) and DOOK is a "victory". We've gone as far as we can with Greenbum...time to turn it up a notch and move forward instead of stewing in the swill of bubbledom every season...

Welcome aboard, gentlemen!!! Just wish we could get more folks on this Greenbum bandwagon...

I think the thing I hate most is that most VT fans settle for mediocrity in basketball. To many, just being in the ACC on the same floor with the likes of UNC(heat) and DOOK is a "victory". We've gone as far as we can with Greenbum...time to turn it up a notch and move forward instead of stewing in the swill of bubbledom every season...

Who do you think we can hire that will get us up a notch? No flame intended -- genuinely curious.

I watched the Hokies beat ETSU today and VT needs to find some scoring to be successful this season. They are a very young and athletic bunch, but there is no proven scorer as yet. Robert Brown looks to be a very good prospect at guard and Dorrian Finney-Smith should develop into a super wing player.

Erick Green didn't play as he has an Achilles injury, but could be back by the Monday or Tuesday game in the preseason NIT. Also, Marquis Rankin could play sooner than expected from his knee surgery. Haven't seen Rankin play yet, but I hear there is a lot of upside to him.

I watched the Hokies beat ETSU today and VT needs to find some scoring to be successful this season. They are a very young and athletic bunch, but there is no proven scorer as yet. Robert Brown looks to be a very good prospect at guard and Dorrian Finney-Smith should develop into a super wing player.

Erick Green didn't play as he has an Achilles injury, but could be back by the Monday or Tuesday game in the preseason NIT. Also, Marquis Rankin could play sooner than expected from his knee surgery. Haven't seen Rankin play yet, but I hear there is a lot of upside to him.

Yeah, good points.

I would also add that rebounding is going to be an issue for us this year. Davila has never been one to clean up the boards, and Raines didn't play too well on the post. With that said, DF-S did have 13(ish) rebounds, but that's not something I would want to rely on from game to game.

All in all, I honestly don't think we'll be that much worse than years past. I'll stick by my prediction of 18-20 wins, 7 wins in ACC play.

Yeah, good points.

I would also add that rebounding is going to be an issue for us this year. Davila has never been one to clean up the boards, and Raines didn't play too well on the post. With that said, DF-S did have 13(ish) rebounds, but that's not something I would want to rely on from game to game.

All in all, I honestly don't think we'll be that much worse than years past. I'll stick by my prediction of 18-20 wins, 7 wins in ACC play.

Poor Victor. He was passed the pall a couple of times close to the rim and his hands of stone showed themselves resulting in turnovers. I was disappointed in Cadarian Saturday. It was good to see him playing with that much energy, but he had a few lapses with missed block outs that will get you beat most nights. Although, he has been playing hurt for the last two seasons.

Rebounding is going to be a major issue for VT this year.

I want to see them play a couple of more games first with these freshman before I gauge how they'll do and who will emerge as leader(s) for the team.

I'm also anxious to see how Joey van Zegeren fits in on this team. He needs to get plenty stronger, but I think he has a chance to develop into a quality post player.