G.W. Danville may drop to Div. 4 AA

Bulldog 82

Incorrect. The smallest school in the Richmond area that is playing up to AAA is Thomas Jefferson, with an enrollment of 764. John Marshall (883), Colonial Heights (914), and George Wythe-Rich. (917) are the only other schools in the Richmond area with less than 1000 students that are playing up to AAA. New school, Glen Allen, had a projected enrollment of 700 but that is expected to double as the school fills in all four grades. BTW, Armstrong has 1002 students for this R&R period...

Wow... when I worked at Armstrong High School....the enrollment was about 550....didn't realize they had grown that much of course time has passed me by pretty fast since I lived in Richmond. TJ, JM and GW were smaller back then also....still, they're playing up. My point is still the same...schools are allowed to play up or down, if they give a valid reason....I think the VHSL allows Abingdon to drop, if they give a good reason.

I guess I could've used the rationale that Graham played up with single A numbers for 30 years....I'm sure the opposite situation could happen.

Edited by futbolking

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incorrect. The smallest school in the Richmond area that is playing up to AAA is Thomas Jefferson, with an enrollment of 764. John Marshall (883), Colonial Heights (914), and George Wythe-Rich. (917) are the only other schools in the Richmond area with less than 1000 students that are playing up to AAA. New school, Glen Allen, had a projected enrollment of 700 but that is expected to double as the school fills in all four grades. BTW, Armstrong has 1002 students for this R&R period...

So I did a litte research and looked the locations of these schools up. TJ, JM and GW are all pretty close together and CH isint that far away(30 min or so). So why dont they just form a AA district ad play AAA ood competition?

Would the AAA schools not want to play AA schools?

So I did a litte research and looked the locations of these schools up. TJ, JM and GW are all pretty close together and CH isint that far away(30 min or so). So why dont they just form a AA district ad play AAA ood competition?

Would the AAA schools not want to play AA schools?

I think you would be correct in that assumption...however, Powhatan is not far away and there are a few A teams in the area...Cumberland, Goochland, Amelia... is not too far away either.

Im just confused as to why they would play that far up when they really dont have to? I could understand if there was only one small Richmond area school but there are 4 and they would have plenty of local competition.

But if they were to form their own district and play some of the James River District schools and some local AAA schools then they should be able to fill out a schedule.

Edited by redtiger

Im just confused as to why they would play that far up when they really dont have to? I could understand if there was only one small Richmond area school but there are 4 and they would have plenty of local competition.

History, tradition...those are some of the older schools in the Richmond area and they've always been AAA and they've always played those teams. And I'm pretty sure they always get their butts handed to them by the bigger schools too...

Im just confused as to why they would play that far up when they really dont have to?

They're AA sized, so playing up means AAA.

So why dont they just form a AA district ad play AAA ood competition?

Because it's RICHMOND, and the SB thinks the state capital shouldn't have AA schools. The schools themselves seem to have no say in this.

I disagree with the others that VHSL won't allow Abingdon to drop to single A....I believe that, if they are interested in doing so, the state will allow it,...

...schools are allowed to play up or down, if they give a valid reason....I think the VHSL allows Abingdon to drop, if they give a good reason.

No, schools are NOT allowed to play down... never have been. Lee DID get an exemption twice, because of location & size. Thing is, they were barely AA then, and by the time the 2nd exemption kicked in, their numbers weren't the largest in A.

If the SW disbands, I think Ab. will go to the River Ridge, as will Carroll (which ppl. seem to have forgotten about)

They're AA sized, so playing up means AAA.

What I meant was they are really small AAs and are playing against medium size AAAs which is a big difference

Because it's RICHMOND, and the SB thinks the state capital shouldn't have AA schools. The schools themselves seem to have no say in this.

Dumb

No, schools are NOT allowed to play down... never have been. QUOTE]

Someone from Carroll County might know this for sure, but I believe CCHS was allowed to play down for a number of years in the former New River District despite the fact they had AAA numbers. At some point in the 1990s their enrollment declined enough to become a legit AA school.

IIRC, they had to get permission from a certain percentage of the other schools in the district and/or region in order to for the VHSL to allow it.

But if they were to form their own district and play some of the James River District schools and some local AAA schools then they should be able to fill out a schedule.

All but a handful of the Division 5 teams in the Central Region have enrollments low enough to drop down to AA, as there even more in the 1000-1400 range.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-divisions-2011-2012.pdf

Someone from Carroll County might know this for sure, but I believe CCHS was allowed to play down for a number of years in the former New River District despite the fact they had AAA numbers. At some point in the 1990s their enrollment declined enough to become a legit AA school.

IIRC, they had to get permission from a certain percentage of the other schools in the district and/or region in order to for the VHSL to allow it.

First I'd heard of that... I'll have to try & rem. to look for my old ADM #s soon.

martinsville has had the highest unemployment rate in virginia month after month after month for the last 3 or 4 years or more. henry county and the city of danville are always near the top 5 localities for unemployment as well. i don't know the exact numbers this time around, but martinsville has dropped to barely over 700 students.
Sometimes I think Martinsville should drop to single 'A' Div. 2 and move to the Dogwood Dist. with Gretna, Chatham, Dan River etc.. Tunstall could also move to the Dogwood and maybe even Patrick Co. It would be like the Piedmont Dist. of years gone by. Magna Vista and Bassett could form a District with GW Danville, Franklin Co. and Halifax.

Thats the part i cant understand, im all for tradition and all but if your not even close to being competitive then why play up? Espicially when there is a solution.

What district is GW Danville in?

GW Danville is in the Western Valley Dist. with Franklin and Halifax Co.. Franklin Co. had over 2000 students last time I checked. It would be neat if they built a new high school and formed two AA teams. Building a new high school cost millions so I doubt that will happen any time soon.

I would have to disagree with this, especially considering in those days you had the Roanoke Valley District, and a natural rival only 30 minutes away in Pulaski County. I would think if they were AAA enrollment wise, they would have been playing there. I have followed the numbers for a number of years and can't ever recall them being over 1250 or so students.

I believe there may have been an issue with Carroll County's enrollment when the state reclassified in 1970. I recall that J. J. Kelly and Gate City were going to be moved to the SWD- Wise threatened a lawsuit, Gate City went. While that controversy was going on I remember some mention of Carroll County. I best recollect the entire New River District went AA- Carroll was on the bubble. Carroll came into existence under the old alignment system in 1969, so numbers really didn't mean anything. Someone could correct me, but the 1970 realignment was the first classification to use really hard numbers. At the time Carroll County went AA Pulaski County was not in existence- still Pulaski and Dublin.

I would have to disagree with this, especially considering in those days you had the Roanoke Valley District, and a natural rival only 30 minutes away in Pulaski County. I would think if they were AAA enrollment wise, they would have been playing there. I have followed the numbers for a number of years and can't ever recall them being over 1250 or so students.

The VHSL hasn't always used equal thirds to establish classifications, though. Up until sometime in the mid 1990s it had hard cutoffs (500 for A/AA, 1000 for AA/AAA) and used enrollment for grades 10-12. The intent of the switch was to balance the number of schools in each classification. Carroll would have only needed what amounts to 334 per grade to have over 1000 in 10-12, which could have been possible with a couple of slightly larger-than-usual classes coming through at the same time.

Incidentally, if those same hard cutoffs were still used today, the largest 10 or 12 current AA schools would be in AAA and a lot of the larger Group A schools now would be AA.

It could have been that Carroll was borderline for only one or two cycles back then. I just remember reading a newspaper story somewhere saying Carroll had to get some sort of permission from the NRD and/or Region IV in order for the VHSL to let them play down.

Thomas Jefferson and Glen Allen are really big D2 schools.

Glen Allen is a new school. The 700 student enrollment was an estimate...they are expected to have more than twice that number when they get full enrollment in grades 9-12.

That makes sense, I knew I didnt recogize the name.

My understanding is that when JJ Kelly was borderline A/AA they did some tricky addition w/ their enrollment numbers to stay A. Thats what ive heard, I dont know what they did to avoid moving up but they managed to stay A.

What do you guys think about Carrol County joining the Piedmont District? Highway 58 runs through CC and the heart of the Piedmont Dist.

Piedmont makes more sense imo, it would be a pretty good geographic fit

No, schools are NOT allowed to play down... never have been. Lee DID get an exemption twice, because of location & size. Thing is, they were barely AA then, and by the time the 2nd exemption kicked in, their numbers weren't the largest in A.

If the SW disbands, I think Ab. will go to the River Ridge, as will Carroll (which ppl. seem to have forgotten about)

Sorry to disagree...but what the heck would you call it?

If Lee was not "allowed" to play down...I guess they were breaking the rules then, huh? What about Pulaski a few years back..... If Abingdon wants to drop, they'd be the perfect example for the VHSL to "allow" them to drop... They want no part of moving to the River Ridge District....they will petition to play down and I believe they get it.

Guess we'll see in about a year and a half.....

As far as Caroll goes, they are just an hour from Dublin....they don't have nearly the travel time that Abingdon would have....I think Carroll goes to the Piedmont anyway.....they don't want to go to the River Ridge either.

Edited by futbolking

Glen Allen is a new school. The 700 student enrollment was an estimate...they are expected to have more than twice that number when they get full enrollment in grades 9-12.

Was in Glen Allen High School last fall....looks like a mini-mall....very nice.... but anyway...only had 9th and 10th graders at the time I was there... Graham High School could fit in the lobby....

Edited by futbolking

Sorry to disagree...but what the heck would you call it?

If Lee was not "allowed" to play down...I guess they were breaking the rules then, huh? What about Pulaski a few years back..... If Abingdon wants to drop, they'd be the perfect example for the VHSL to "allow" them to drop... They want no part of moving to the River Ridge District....they will petition to play down and I believe they get it.

Guess we'll see in about a year and a half.....

Yeah, VHSL's comment was baffling, especially with Lee as the most obvious example.