Tazewell radio?

Carroll scored 1 in top of 1st, when Reece Edwards doubled off Waslewski and then scored from third on a past ball. Carroll had the bases loaded in the 2nd with 1 out. They had suicide squeeze play on when Tazewell catcher stepped in front of plate to catch ball as batter stepped to bunt. Batter fell on top of catcher and ump called both batter and runner out for batter interference. I thought it should have been catcher interference. Players left the field as Carroll coach pleaded his case. Umpires reversed their decision and players were sent back to bases. But then Lou Perry made his case and they went back to the original decison. Finally decided score would be 1-0 going into bottom of 2nd. Carroll holds as Aaron Hooven pitched really well for Carroll.

On to the top of the 3rd. Carroll again loads bases. Isaac Sumner hits ball off of right field fence. Runner from 3B easily scores. Runner on 2B (Lineberry) coming home, throw is up the line. Catcher tries to block runner. Ball bounces toward Tazwell doguout. Meanwhile the catcher tries to hold the runner and keep him from touching the plate. Yates (Taz Catcher) then stomps Lineberry in the back and then proceeds to try and kick him. Carroll on deck hitter (Hooven) jumps in and pushes yates off of Lineberry. Taze first baseman charges in and tackles both of them and then the benches cleared.

Yates was ejected. Possibly Carroll pitcher and another Tazewell player to be ejected as well. Game was suspended with Carroll leading 3-0. Supposedly a ruling will be made tomorrow.

I thought it should have been catcher interference.

I saw the highlights on WVVA this morning...definitely batter interference...good call by the ump on that one.

But what started the brawl, with the catcher trying to keep the runner from crossing home, was all on the catcher...

Wow... to think that you could call batter interference is lost on me. Where else is he supposed to go but toward first after a bunt... Catcher clearly takes out his legs.

http://www.wvva.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=7113948&at1=Sport&h1=Brawl+Ends+Tazewell-Carroll+County+Game&flvUri&partnerclipid&rnd=47898168

for those who have not seen it.

Gman, I know you are the sage on this board, but you really missed this one.

I saw the highlights on WVVA this morning...definitely batter interference...good call by the ump on that one.

But what started the brawl, with the catcher trying to keep the runner from crossing home, was all on the catcher...

let me add that the catcher is clearly in front of the plate...

That's what I see. Yates hops forward when he hears the squeeze is on, and his mitt is directly under the bat/over the plate when the ball gets there. That trumps what happened after.

And I can't even imagine what he was thinking on the play with Lineberry.

Carroll scored 1 in top of 1st, when Reece Edwards doubled off Waslewski and then scored from third on a past ball. Carroll had the bases loaded in the 2nd with 1 out. They had suicide squeeze play on when Tazewell catcher stepped in front of plate to catch ball as batter stepped to bunt. Batter fell on top of catcher and ump called both batter and runner out for batter interference. I thought it should have been catcher interference. Players left the field as Carroll coach pleaded his case. Umpires reversed their decision and players were sent back to bases. But then Lou Perry made his case and they went back to the original decison. Finally decided score would be 1-0 going into bottom of 2nd. Carroll holds as Aaron Hooven pitched really well for Carroll.

On to the top of the 3rd. Carroll again loads bases. Isaac Sumner hits ball off of right field fence. Runner from 3B easily scores. Runner on 2B (Lineberry) coming home, throw is up the line. Catcher tries to block runner. Ball bounces toward Tazwell doguout. Meanwhile the catcher tries to hold the runner and keep him from touching the plate. Yates (Taz Catcher) then stomps Lineberry in the back and then proceeds to try and kick him. Carroll on deck hitter (Hooven) jumps in and pushes yates off of Lineberry. Taze first baseman charges in and tackles both of them and then the benches cleared.

Yates was ejected. Possibly Carroll pitcher and another Tazewell player to be ejected as well. Game was suspended with Carroll leading 3-0. Supposedly a ruling will be made tomorrow.

Eerily similar to a situation in a Tazewell/Graham game that I was involved with 11 years ago.

Tazewell initiated the situation by tripping a scoring baserunner, but Graham didn't retaliate as much as Carroll.

The game wasn't called, but it may as well have been. Home plate umpire would not call anything Graham threw in the bottom of the 8th a strike unless Tazewell swung at it first. And Tazewell caught on to that with 2 outs. And yes, I did say "8th". Tazewell scored 3 in the bottom of the 8th to tie the game again, and won it in the 9th.

Lou is a good coach no arguing that but his statements at the end make him look bad in my opinion. Yes the umps need to keep control but he also has to be responsible for his team the catcher, #22 (Taz), and #4 (CC) should all be suspended for some period of time and the coaches should also be punished in some manner. 22 and 4 should probably get the most severe punishment the two of them had no business being involved in the play at all.