let's end HS sports

Your first reaction was probably in line with mine. Preposterous. Ludicrous. What of the pageantry, the history, the apple pie? High school sports were probably a big part of your childhood. High school sports probably helped mold who you are today.

Kick it to the curb, Stevens says.

And after you listen to his reasoning you find yourself drifting to his side of the fence — not necessarily jumping over it, but at least willing to give it more thought.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't have to give it even 2 seconds worth of my time. I didn't drift, I didn't lean, I didn't even flinch. It's a crock, IMHO.

im sorry for my language, but thats a bunch of BullS**T. aint no way they gonna end HS Sports. that what make players like Heath Miller, Ahmad Bradshaw, and any other locals in pro sports be who they are today if it wasnt for high school sports to get them started

This might be an inevitable trend regardless of how anyone feels about it.

The rise of travel ball in all sports (and increasingly at all ages) and the squeeze on revenues for public schools supports what Stevens is saying. I would imagine that rural areas like SW Virginia and larger schools in urban areas will hold out, and the private club model doesn't seem to be workable for football in this country by a long shot yet.

I personally don't like it. But I can't easily dismiss the logic behind the argument.

So by club sports, do they basically mean rec ball, or is there a difference?

I think they're referring more to travel ball (of the AAU variety) than rec. And in places where travel teams have taken root, there definitely is a difference between the two.

I don't see this happening in areas where High School Football is huge. Texas comes to mind. My home state of Alabama. No way that's going to happen there. It may happen eventually in some areas of the country, but I don't see it happening in the south. Taking that away from the kids would be a travesty. That's a big part of school to a lot of people, and it's not a bad thing, it's a great thing. A lot of kids would lose interest in school all together if it wasn't for sports.

Edited by blueinbama

I think they're referring more to travel ball (of the AAU variety) than rec. And in places where travel teams have taken root, there definitely is a difference between the two.

Oh, ok. I'm really not sure how I feel about all this. I mean, yeah I'd hate to see high school sports as we know it end (it's just the norm, and I for one don't like drastic change), but the idea does seem interesting and does have some good points. What would we really be losing by getting rid of HS sports teams and going to club/travel teams? Tradition is the only thing I can think of. Schools could save a lot of money that way and I'm sure they'd still find some way to be involved to an extent. Another question is, how will this be paid for if we went to club teams? Would players/parents have to flip the bill? If so, then wouldn't the number of athletes for each sport go down even further than it already has?

Edited by ThomasDenton

Oh, ok. I'm really not sure how I feel about all this. I mean, yeah I'd hate to see high school sports as we know it end (it's just the norm, and I for one don't like drastic change), but the idea does seem interesting and does have some good points. What would we really be losing by getting rid of HS sports teams and going to club/travel teams? Tradition is the only thing I can think of. Schools could save a lot of money that way and I'm sure they'd still find some way to be involved to an extent. Another question is, how will this be paid for if we went to club teams? Would players/parents have to flip the bill? If so, then wouldn't the number of athletes for each sport go down even further than it already has?

I would think this would leave many to the side who didn't have the means. And on top of that sports in high school is a motivator that keeps many in school and trying.

Does Europe have Football? This ain't Europe....... I like the American way!

I don't want to be like Europe......

I would think this would leave many to the side who didn't have the means. And on top of that sports in high school is a motivator that keeps many in school and trying.

Does Europe have Football? This ain't Europe....... I like the American way!

I don't want to be like Europe......

Europe has a little football now. :D

This might be an inevitable trend regardless of how anyone feels about it.

The rise of travel ball in all sports (and increasingly at all ages) and the squeeze on revenues for public schools supports what Stevens is saying. I would imagine that rural areas like SW Virginia and larger schools in urban areas will hold out, and the private club model doesn't seem to be workable for football in this country by a long shot yet.

I personally don't like it. But I can't easily dismiss the logic behind the argument.

Very well stated.

I agree with RichlandsAlum completely.

The article talks about the lack of student support at ball games. Its true. Headaches over playing time, coach is too rough, or the coach is fill in the blanks. I have thrown together some of my random thoughts.

Sad thing is kids are making the choices now. I have seen a travel team be chosen over high school teams already. Seen it happen in a little league game where there were not enough players and a team had to forefit and did not get to play because three of their players went to play travel and left the kids they go to school with and see everyday without a game.

Everyone has the next D1 athlete I guess. I miss the days when the coaches developed teams not just individual players. There are some coaches that still do. However with the increasing demand on test scores from teachers and the rigors of coaching it makes it hard for those coaches to do both. So we will see fewer and fewer teacher/coaches and more from the community.

Kids will be choosing to play baseball/softball spring through fall and give up their little league teams, fall soccer teams, and some even their football (seen it happen). Girls may give up volleyball in the fall or basketball in the winter for one or the other. And basketball goes year round anymore. For some the kids just want to play and will go where there is a game. Others however are specializing in a sport way too early.

Edited by 3n2mafia

• 3 weeks later...

I think with budget issues schools will be forcing many cuts in areas we don't like. For some small towns hs sports are more than a game its a way for the communities to have one more chance to discuss all that is wrong and how they would fix the problem. I do think however with the increasing number of AAU teams that many schools will start to cut Middle School Programs simply because those kids have other areas such as AAU and Rec to fall back on. I can see it happening to small, poor areas very soon.