You Know What's Funny?

I have a feeling that when Thomas Jefferson was discussing Seperation of Church and State and the First Amendment, he was talking about issues like this, not about saying a prayer in school or things like that. I wonder how the Founding Fathers would decide how such an issue would be resolved?

One thing is for sure, they WOULD NOT expect the Federal Government to make the decision. I believe that this would have been a states rights issue.

The Founders believed that the people would VOTE with their feet. If you agree with the policies and laws of a particular state you would stay there, if you disagreed you would find a state that held similar views and set out to live there. This is what is so wonderful about the separate 50 states, they were never intended to all be clones, but rather unique, just like individuals.

Jefferson was writing to a lady who was a member of the Danberry(spelling) Baptist. The lady was concerned that the size of the new government could infringe upon her right to worship, she feared that a STATE religions might one day be imposed. Jefferson, assured her that there was a wall of separation between church and state that would not permit that to happen.

The letter and his answer had absolutely nothing to do with not permitting people to pray in public, etc. The lamestream media, some revisionist history and some legislation from the court bench has led us to this faulty interpretation of separation of church and state.

I agree with you on this one!

Edited by bucfan64

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[i also do not think that it appropriate to compare inherited and unchangeable racial traits with non genetic and changeable behavior. "Same sex" marriage is sterile by nature and therefore only appeals to the personal gratification of those involved, therefore it does not need to be protected or promoted by the state as a legal institution.

I agree 100%!