best game over the years

Tigers_07

Some of the my favorites were:

03 Taz wins 12-10 over Richlands our only win that season but still the best opponent it could be against

04 and 06 against Graham 7-5 and 7-6 scores. Graham lines up for field goals in the final seconds on both games and both attempts were blocked. Classic finishes there.

08 Divison Championship against Richlands the come from behind to tie the missed extra point classic heartbreaker.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still to this day I can't honestly say whether Cole got in or not. I wasn't sitting near the goal line when it happened. It was really too close to call. It is what it is though. The '97 Beavers and '01 G-MEN would be one he one heck of a matchup. Heck could you imagine a four team round robin with the '89 G-MEN, '97 Beavers, '01 G-MEN, and the '04 Beavers. I always thought that would be exciting.

I honestly don't think anyone truly knows what happend, but that's what makes it fun. I think without that game the rivalry would have died down a lot, round robin would be very exciting, i'd pay the money to watch those teams go at it. 89' went unscored on for like 8 games i believe and i would think the best matchup would be the 01' G-men and the 04 Beavers, i don't know that the scoreboard up at Mitchell would go that high lol

i was there..holston got a crappy call on that pass to jordon blevins,it was caught but a flag was thrown because the sideline got excited.or thats what ive been told.that changed the game..holston just never recovered by my goodness what a game..emorys pa sucks..lol

I honestly don't think anyone truly knows what happend, but that's what makes it fun. I think without that game the rivalry would have died down a lot, round robin would be very exciting, i'd pay the money to watch those teams go at it. 89' went unscored on for like 8 games i believe and i would think the best matchup would be the 01' G-men and the 04 Beavers, i don't know that the scoreboard up at Mitchell would go that high lol

In my opinion the '89 G-Men would be the best defensive team out of the four followed by the '97 Beavers. The '01 G-Men and the '04 Beavers would be the best matchup because both teams produced mind boggling offensive numbers and had good defenses. Since 2004 I've always said that it's a shame that the '01 G-men couldn't have been three years younger or the '04 Beavers couldn't have been three years older or we would have had ourselves one hell of a Beaver/Graham game.

I forgot a pretty good one

Haysi vs Giles 2010

Neither team was particularly good but the game was a barn burner! Came down to the end with Giles winning 45-42.

It was a game of opposites; Giles ran the ball well and threw just enough to keep Haysi off balance and Haysi threw it all over the place and ran it just enough to keep Giles honest. Not an all time greatest game but it was an entertaining game. and for me any chance to watch Giles play is special(I have a crush on the single wing)

In no particular order:

2009: Virginia HS 46, Graham 45 (we came back from a two td deficit in two min)

2006: Richlands 29, Rockbridge 28 (state title game, Blues stop a late rally)

2011: Virginia HS 14, Tennessee HS 13 (our first V-T game win in 14 years)

2007: Richlands 20, Abingdon 14 (Blues have frantic 4th quarter rally to prevent embarrassment)

2009: JI Burton 2, Holston 0 (state semis, played in the snow, Burton blocks punt into end zone late in 4th)

2010: Virginia HS 14, Lebanon 13 (Cats get td pass with 5 sec left to win)

2005: Richlands 23, Liberty Bedford 20 (Liberty fg goes wide right at the final buzzer)

I admit I'm biased in my selections

Oh and, of course

2011: Clintwood 33, Giles 28 (C'Wood comes back from the dead, makes huge comeback & then holds off the Giles insurgency by deflecting a pass in the endzone as time expired, in the state championship game)

the Richlands vs. Cave Spring match ups have been fun to watch also...

The '09 game was good, if only for that 70 ish yd td run from Austin Johnson late in the game to bring the Blues back in it. Last year was just plain awful though, CS rb Sam Wright torched the RHS run defense

Oh and, of course

2011: Clintwood 33, Giles 28 (C'Wood comes back from the dead, makes huge comeback & then holds off the Giles insurgency by deflecting a pass in the endzone as time expired, in the state championship game)

galax?