TN Sex Ed

First off, if this is too much for a public forum then would a mod please delete it and give me a stern talking to, outlining what is ok and what isint on this forum, thanks. Secondly it does deal with sex education and how it is discussed in schools, I gave my opnion at the end and while I wasnt "raunchy" I did speak plainly.

Critics blast Tennessee's 'no holding-hands bill'

By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II | Associated Press – 19 hrs ago...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Spurred by a classroom demonstration involving a sex toy, Tennessee recently enacted a pro-abstinence sex education law that is among the strictest in the nation.

The most debated section of the bill bars educators from promoting "gateway sexual activity." But supporters seemed too squeamish during floor debate to specify what that meant, so critics soon labeled it the "no holding-hands bill."

One thing missing from the debate in the Legislature was a discussion of whether the law signed by Republican Gov. Bill Haslam last month really would help reduce Tennessee's high teenage pregnancy rate. Experts say it won't and warn that it leaves teenagers inadequately educated about sexuality and prevention of pregnancy and disease.

Tennessee's pregnancy rate among girls 15 to 17 has dropped steadily since the first abstinence-focused sex education curriculum was put in place in the 1990s, according to figures from the state Commission on Children and Youth. In 2009, the latest data available, there were 29.6 pregnancies per 1,000 girls, down from a rate of 48.2 in 1998.

Yet the state's teen pregnancy rate remains one of the highest in the nation, according to the New York-based Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive health research organization.

Elizabeth Nash, state issues manager for the institute, said state lawmakers across the country began considering more comprehensive sex education programs that talked about abstinence, but also included contraception, about 10 years ago.

Despite declining pregnancy rates around the country, Nash said, there's been a shift by states over the past two years to promote abstinence-only education. A Utah bill that would have prohibited any discussion of contraception or homosexuality in sex education classes passed the Legislature but was vetoed by the governor.

"Our perspective is that comprehensive sex education is appropriate and necessary for young people," she said.

"What we know ... from the research is that comprehensive sex education works. It delays sexual activity, it reduces the number of partners teens have, and it increases contraceptive use. There is very little in the way of any rigorous research that shows that abstinence education has any of these long-term benefits."

Barry Chase, president of Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region, agreed.

"This bill ties the hands of educators in Tennessee and will prevent them from providing the comprehensive education that students want and need and their parents expect," he said.

Rep. Jim Gotto, who sponsored the legislation, disputed the way the bill is being characterized.

"It's not abstinence-only education," said the Nashville Republican. "I'm so sick of people trying to spin it as that ... because they don't like it. The law does specify that the curriculum has to be abstinence-focused, but they can talk about contraception."

Proponents contend abstinence is the most reliable way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. Tennessee education officials have said abstinence is already defined in the state's statute, and Haslam said he decided to sign the bill after they assured him it changed little.

But Sen. Jack Johnson, a Franklin Republican who sponsored the bill in his chamber, said the old law was too vague.

"We put in tighter definitions, more clearly defined what abstinence-centered and abstinence-based meant," Johnson said.

The sex ed law now uses the criminal statute on sexual assault to specify acts — such as groping or fondling — that fall under "gateway sexual activity." It also says family life curriculum must not "display or conduct demonstrations with devices specifically manufactured for sexual stimulation." If such incidents do occur, then a parent can sue and a fine can be imposed of at least $500.

Before the current law, Nashville parent Rodrick Glover thought about legal action in 2010 when he found out an anti-AIDS group had visited his 17-year-old daughter's class and demonstrated safe oral sex with a sex toy and a condom.

"I teach my child the power of abstinence," said Glover, whose complaint spurred the drafting of the legislation. "When you start bringing sex toys in, at a point you're stimulating the kids to have sex."

The leader of the group whose presentation concerned Glover agrees the material was inappropriate for a high school audience. He said the incident led to new procedures to adhere to school protocols.

"And we've had no problems for two years," said Joseph Interrante, president of Nashville CARES.

Valerie Huber, executive director of the National Abstinence Education Association, said Tennessee is ahead of most other states and has closed a loophole.

"I think that is unique in that rather than this legislation just saying there needs to be an emphasis on abstinence education, it also prohibits too explicit sex education from being either put in schools under the guise of abstinence education, or in opposition to an abstinence education program," she said.

Democratic Rep. John Deberry supported the new limits on what can be covered in sex ed class as a way to help teenagers from going too far.

"When individuals are touching one another's intimate parts ... this is sexual activity that has its ultimate goal of penetration," said the Memphis Democrat and minister.

Student Josiah Pegues, 14, of Nashville said he's already made up his mind about sex — for now, at least.

"It's best to abstain," said the ninth-grader who aspires to be an FBI agent. "You don't want to get anyone pregnant or get an STD. It could mess up your future."

So, I was reading this(very important to the future of this country imo) and I had a couple of "what?" moments.

If I understand this right in TN they will not talk about anything other than intercourse because that would be promoting "gateway sexual activity"? really? theyre not gonna discuss everything involved with sex with the states young people? I really think that kinda defeats the purpose of sex ed.

"When individuals are touching one another's intimate parts ... this is sexual activity that has its ultimate goal of penetration," said the Memphis Democrat and minister.

I would completly disagree and would question this mans sex life. I know he is a minister but no fooling around unless penetration is involved, really? Seems like a boring life to me.

and finally Before the current law, Nashville parent Rodrick Glover thought about legal action in 2010 when he found out an anti-AIDS group had visited his 17-year-old daughter's class and demonstrated safe oral sex with a sex toy and a condom. I cant believe that adults would come into a school and actually show kids how to do it, thats going way too far imo

Maybe its just the way I think but what happened to moderation in this country? In this case 1 group is showing how to do it and the other doesent even want to talk about it, poor kids

Edited by redtiger

Maybe its just the way I think but what happened to moderation in this country? In this case 1 group is showing how to do it and the other doesent even want to talk about it, poor kids

This is the salient point in the discussion.

It's no wonder kids are as confused as can possibly be. The "you're gonna do it anyway, so free love" and "YER GOIN TO HELL FOR HOLDIN' HANDS!" camps are battling each other pretty much unchecked. Instead of the middle of the road message ("It's better for you if you don't do it so young, but if you do, for God's sake use protection), kids are hearing everything but that.

EXACTLY! Why is it tht the majority of the country sits back and lets these idiots(both left and right) do this kind of stuff ot OUR country?

"It's better for you if you don't do it so young, but if you do, for God's sake use protection), kids are hearing everything but that.

thats what I thought sex ed was?

Oh and im an idiot and posted it twice and have no idea how to delete the post(or even if I can)

First off, if this is too much for a public forum then would a mod please delete it and give me a stern talking to, outlining what is ok and what isint on this forum, thanks. Secondly it does deal with sex education and how it is discussed in schools, I gave my opnion at the end and while I wasnt "raunchy" I did speak plainly.

what exactly are you going on about here? You can pretty much post anything that is not in the NSFW realm and be ok...if that's what you are getting at?

as far as the article...most kids think sex ed is a joke anyway...if you want to prevent teen pregnancy with your own kids, make them go to the local hospital and watch a baby being born from start of labor to birth...all 19 hours of it or so...then make actually stay awake and witness the feedings every few hours and change a few diapers on a Friday and Saturday night for a couple of months instead of being able to go out and party with their friends...Will give them a whole new perspective on having kids at an early age.

as far as the article...most kids think sex ed is a joke anyway...if you want to prevent teen pregnancy with your own kids, make them go to the local hospital and watch a baby being born from start of labor to birth...all 19 hours of it or so...then make actually stay awake and witness the feedings every few hours and change a few diapers on a Friday and Saturday night for a couple of months instead of being able to go out and party with their friends...Will give them a whole new perspective on having kids at an early age.

AMEN! I remember sex ed. at Battle was pretty much nothing (and we weren't even allowed to call it sex ed. at one point). Every year since I started those classes (can't remember what grade they start you in) I never even saw a picture of a female's anatomy. Seriously, every single time they had that class, they would only teach the boys about themselves and wouldn't even mention anything about the girls, but they taught the girls EVERYTHING. They actually said to us one day that they did it this way because "the boys aren't mature enough to learn about girls." I remember every time we would come out of that class, the girls would be pointing at us and giggling for the rest of the day. Not really a good way to teach sex ed. IMO (hopefully it's changed now).

AMEN! I remember sex ed. at Battle was pretty much nothing (and we weren't even allowed to call it sex ed. at one point). Every year since I started those classes (can't remember what grade they start you in) I never even saw a picture of a female's anatomy. Seriously, every single time they had that class, they would only teach the boys about themselves and wouldn't even mention anything about the girls, but they taught the girls EVERYTHING. They actually said to us one day that they did it this way because "the boys aren't mature enough to learn about girls." I remember every time we would come out of that class, the girls would be pointing at us and giggling for the rest of the day. Not really a good way to teach sex ed. IMO (hopefully it's changed now).

they called it "Family management" when I was in school. Everyone was in the same room, boys and girls...the films looked like stag films from the 60s lol.

I remember them passing around contraceptive foam and one of the guys squirted it up one of the girls nose...that was about how things went in that class.

what exactly are you going on about here? You can pretty much post anything that is not in the NSFW realm and be ok...if that's what you are getting at?

Sex is a touchy subject for some, didnt know if this would cross the line or not(I didnt think it would). Not to mention there are some teenagers on here, I just wasnt sure what was ok

I only remember having Sex ed in about 6th grade and it was mostly about the male body(boys were seperate from girls). I dont remember having a sex ed class that talked about sex(dangers,risks, safety) or the female anatomy. More or less useless.

Edited by redtiger

Sex is a touchy subject for some, didnt know f this would cross the line or not(I didnt think it would)

I try to keep it PG-13 for the most part here, because a lot of people (coaches,teachers, and kids) get online from school and I don't want to have anything here that would cause them to get blocked or get us blacklisted...that sort of thing ya know?

FWIW, every girl from Tennessee I've ever encountered (about 3; possibly 5) has been HIGHLY "educated" when it came to naked wrestling. Let's pray that things don't change.

For real though, Tennessee and every other state across the country all suffer extremely high percentages of teenage pregnancies. Throw in the millions of people who have ever been infected with STDs and it's a very real situation. Kids as young as 11 and 12 are having sex these days and abstinence classes obviously aren't stopping them. All you can do is unload a bunch of knowledge on them of how to do it safely and hope they wear a hat when they go to work.

FWIW, every girl from Tennessee I've ever encountered (about 3; possibly 5) has been HIGHLY "educated" when it came to naked wrestling. Let's pray that things don't change.

For real though, Tennessee and every other state across the country all suffer extremely high percentages of teenage pregnancies. Throw in the millions of people who have ever been infected with STDs and it's a very real situation. Kids as young as 11 and 12 are having sex these days and abstinence classes obviously aren't stopping them. All you can do is unload a bunch of knowledge on them of how to do it safely and hope they wear a hat when they go to work.

It's been a while sir but you just warranted an update to my sig line.

Better than it used to be: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

Perhaps it's because I've worked in it and around it, but 72 of 1000 (and 39 out of every 1000girls aged 15-17) doesn't seem as high as it could be.

To its credit, Tennessee is 9th, not as bad as people may think. West Virginia (29th) also gets a crappy rap, particularly when Virginia's 30th. #1-3 are western states (New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona), but that's due as much to the lack of education in 1st/2nd generation inmigrants than anything. And the split is not purely Republican/dumb v. Democrat/rich. The best (50th) is New Hampshire, a state that's pretty evenly split as it comes to parties. Utah's 45th-in probably the most conservative state in the union. Delaware, AKA "Baltimore's and Philly's Dump", is 6th.

Better than it used to be: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

Perhaps it's because I've worked in it and around it, but 72 of 1000 (and 39 out of every 1000girls aged 15-17) doesn't seem as high as it could be.

To its credit, Tennessee is 9th, not as bad as people may think. West Virginia (29th) also gets a crappy rap, particularly when Virginia's 30th. #1-3 are western states (New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona), but that's due as much to the lack of education in 1st/2nd generation inmigrants than anything. And the split is not purely Republican/dumb v. Democrat/rich. The best (50th) is New Hampshire, a state that's pretty evenly split as it comes to parties. Utah's 45th-in probably the most conservative state in the union. Delaware, AKA "Baltimore's and Philly's Dump", is 6th.

I didn't know the exact statistics, so thanks for the link. I honestly assumed that those numbers would be higher.

But then I got to thinking about them. If you put them into context of perhaps the average high school having around 1000 students then approximately 55-60 females could be pregnant and/or have birthed babies (assuming approximately half of teenage pregnancies are attributed to 18-19 high school graduates or its equivalent). Is my assumption about reading your statistics correct? That's still a pretty significant number if you confine those pregnancies into just one hometown high school, IMO. Of course, populations, demographics, etc. will either help or hinder that average, but just a ballpark example.

Regardless, it is good to see a downward trend and that SWVA is on "smarter" side of those statistics. Whether or not the numbers are high, low, black, white, etc., I doubt that < 1% of those pregnancies are planned and these teenagers specifically want to be parents at that point in their lives. Safe® sex can be taught and save a lot of kids from having to start parenthood at an inopportune time.

I didn't know the exact statistics, so thanks for the link. I honestly assumed that those numbers would be higher.

But then I got to thinking about them. If you put them into context of perhaps the average high school having around 1000 students then approximately 55-60 females could be pregnant and/or have birthed babies (assuming approximately half of teenage pregnancies are attributed to 18-19 high school graduates or its equivalent). Is my assumption about reading your statistics correct? That's still a pretty significant number if you confine those pregnancies into just one hometown high school, IMO. Of course, populations, demographics, etc. will either help or hinder that average, but just a ballpark example.

Regardless, it is good to see a downward trend and that SWVA is on "smarter" side of those statistics. Whether or not the numbers are high, low, black, white, etc., I doubt that < 1% of those pregnancies are planned and these teenagers specifically want to be parents at that point in their lives. Safe® sex can be taught and save a lot of kids from having to start parenthood at an inopportune time.

I believe that your assumption is correct. It could be the same mothers birthing multiples, which isn't that farfetched. The populations you see on the list with the highest rates are (1) poorer areas [AZ, NV, NM] and (2) poorer states with larger urban areas [GA, TN, TX]. Get the worst of both worlds. In inner cities, the rates are really shockingly high...from 10%-48%. Detroit's rate in 2008 was literally 48%. Dat's bad.

I agree, teaching safer sex is the end game if kids choose to pursue (imagine Pat Robertson's voice) "sins of the flesh". However, just for the sake of clarifying where I stand, I've never bought the angle of assuming it as an inevitability, though. I think it's more than possible to cut kids off at the pass if it's done effectively. No lame "chastity rings" or "I Pledge" stuff. It has to be an internal wish on the parts of the kid. The number of parents that don't take the time to be an influence on their children is spellbounding. In the event that fails, I'd love for every kid age 14 and over to carry a condom. Sounds corny, but that's how they roll in Europe.

And to those that would argue that the message is contradictory, it's not, unless you consider many other steps of preparedness to be unsound. People carry an extra $20 tucked in their wallets, but they don't go looking for the first food joint to spend it.

• 1 month later...

YEARS, ago, our Lt. Gov. gave a graduation speech at the local "private" school (Mtn. Mission), which is supported by the local Church of Christ.

She was talking about being from a rural area, herself and said something along the lines of...

"Back when I was your age, our school (Patrick Co.) was so small, we used the same car for Drivers Ed AND Sex Ed."

I had to cover my mouth and nose to keep from laughing/snorting, because there were so many blank looks from the grads.

(God love Patrick Co.... and that yellow Mustang).

I never saw ANYTHING when I was in school... the HS did NOTHING, and I was out sick the ONE DAY they showed the boys film in 6th or 7th grade. I do rem. that the most popular girls came back into class blushing after seeing their film.

But, yeah, nowadays nobody will compromise... it's either all or nothing. Totally stupid. They spend a year on history, that 95% of the kids wll never need. Ditto Lit, Calc, Chem, etc., yet will NOT teach what EVERY kid NEEDS to know.

YEARS, ago, our Lt. Gov. gave a graduation speech at the local "private" school (Mtn. Mission), which is supported by the local Church of Christ.

She was talking about being from a rural area, herself and said something along the lines of...

"Back when I was your age, our school (Patrick Co.) was so small, we used the same car for Drivers Ed AND Sex Ed."

I had to cover my mouth and nose to keep from laughing/snorting, because there were so many blank looks from the grads.

(God love Patrick Co.... and that yellow Mustang).

I never saw ANYTHING when I was in school... the HS did NOTHING, and I was out sick the ONE DAY they showed the boys film in 6th or 7th grade. I do rem. that the most popular girls came back into class blushing after seeing their film.

But, yeah, nowadays nobody will compromise... it's either all or nothing. Totally stupid. They spend a year on history, that 95% of the kids wll never need. Ditto Lit, Calc, Chem, etc., yet will NOT teach what EVERY kid NEEDS to know.

We had Mrs. Garber and you haven't seen anything until you have seen Virginia Garber explain the finer points of contraceptive foam as the football players are spraying it up the cheerleaders noses as it's being passed around. Good times.