The Dark Knight Rises

One news channel said there were something like 300+ shells just for his shotgun.

That isn't a lot...especially for someone who shoots a lot.

I have over 1,250 rounds of 9mm, 750 rounds of .38 Special, 250 rounds of .357 Mag, 200 rounds of .380, 1,500+ rounds of .22LR, 150 rounds of .243, 200+ rounds of 30-06, plus enough loading components to reload lots more than that.

Am I going to go out and shoot up a theater? A college campus? A high school?

NO.

The problem isn't the guns, the ammo, or the amount of ammo. Its the fact that a nut job got a hold of it...

So how would we prevent these psycos from getting ahold of these ammounts of ammo and these types of weapons?

I say limit the number of rounds a magazine can hold and you effectively limit the scale of these tragedies. Im personally not concerned with the ammount of ammo the guy had or what type of weapons he used, its how much he was able to bring to bear at once that concerns me

So how would we prevent these psycos from getting ahold of these ammounts of ammo and these types of weapons?

I say limit the number of rounds a magazine can hold and you effectively limit the scale of these tragedies. Im personally not concerned with the ammount of ammo the guy had or what type of weapons he used, its how much he was able to bring to bear at once that concerns me

Not sure how they are getting them. Every time I go to buy a gun, I have to fill out a form and they have to call it in to see if I'm legal, before they can sell it to me. Unfortunately, I don't think its that hard to buy guns illegally. And sadly, the ones that buy them illegally are the ones who are up to no good.

Limiting the number of rounds in a mag is pointless. You can easily carry several mags of ammo and barely miss a beat firing when you have to change an empty for a full one...push a button, drop the empty mag, slam home a full one, release the slide, continue pulling the trigger...

I hate to say it but you sound like one of those anti-2nd Amendment, gun-hating liberals who doesn't no $hit about guns..."There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action."

Not sure how they are getting them. Every time I go to buy a gun, I have to fill out a form and they have to call it in to see if I'm legal, before they can sell it to me. Unfortunately, I don't think its that hard to buy guns illegally. And sadly, the ones that buy them illegally are the ones who are up to no good.

Limiting the number of rounds in a mag is pointless. You can easily carry several mags of ammo and barely miss a beat firing when you have to change an empty for a full one...push a button, drop the empty mag, slam home a full one, release the slide, continue pulling the trigger...

I hate to say it but you sound like one of those anti-2nd Amendment, gun-hating liberals who doesn't no $hit about guns..."There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action."

you my friend are wrong on your last point. I own 3 guns, they are mine, I have a right to own them, to protect myself/family/property. I also believe that I have the right to protect myself from opressive government, I hope it never comes to it but I am more afraid of a world where the government has all the weapons and I have none than I am of a few wackjobs shooting some place up.

Now the truth is I have never owned, shot nor held a weapon like an AR-15, so my knowledge of them is limited. Iown a semi-auto .30-06, which is alot different than an AR-15. My .30-06 has alot more power than an AR-15 but is limited by its 4 round clip. Saying the magazine capacity doesent matter is a rediculious statement to me, there is a huge difference between a magazine being able to carry 10 rounds and being able to carry 100, huge. Yeah, you could always carry extra magazines but there are limits on how many mags a person can carry without a bag and a bag that clanks when the carrier walks is pretty noticeable. And yes with a little practice you can switch to a new mag pretty quickly but there is still a pause and thats a chance for people to get away/warn others/do something. There is a reason the militaryuses large capacity magazines. Honestly I believe that if someone capeable in the theatre had a pistol then fewer lives would have been lost.

Reagrding how did he get the weapons, it wasnt that difficult when I bought my pistol. If I remember correctly the form asks if you have any history of mental illness or are on any meds for mental illness, I guess if you check no thats good enough. And I dont think a background check checks for a history of mental illness(I dont know for sure), maybe it should.

Obviously its pretty easy to buy weapons(the Bargain-Finder is a pretty good source).

These type of incidents cannot be prevented, crazy people are gonna do crazy things. But I believe they can be limited.

Edited by redtiger

That isn't a lot...especially for someone who shoots a lot.

I have over 1,250 rounds of 9mm, 750 rounds of .38 Special, 250 rounds of .357 Mag, 200 rounds of .380, 1,500+ rounds of .22LR, 150 rounds of .243, 200+ rounds of 30-06, plus enough loading components to reload lots more than that.

Am I going to go out and shoot up a theater? A college campus? A high school?

NO.

The problem isn't the guns, the ammo, or the amount of ammo. Its the fact that a nut job got a hold of it...

I wasn't blaming the guns, of course it's the person holding the weapons who is responsible. Guns are objects that only do what people make them do. No one blames cars when someone gets run over, so we shouldn't blame guns. And I was just commenting on what they said about the amount of ammo. I own a lot of guns, but don't have that much ammo any time (just not a big hunter, don't have the time, don't have the money) so I really don't know what would be considered a lot to other people, it just was to me. They must have just figured it was a huge amount of ammo for a college student living out of state in an apartment building (especially considering the weapons he had).

These type of incidents cannot be prevented, crazy people are gonna do crazy things. But I believe they can be limited.

Nope. A crazy person is going to do whatever it takes...

On another sports website i'm a member of, a guy went/worked at the same University as that guy did. He said he didn't have any classes with him and that they worked on seperate floors. But he knew a girl that worked in the same lab as the killer and she use to refer to him as the "serial killer". Said he never talked to anybody and just kept to himself and was just really creepy.

Nope. A crazy person is going to do whatever it takes...

One must ask why is one so disconnected? This wouldn't have happen 30 years ago.

The liberal nature of society today can be blamed as must as anything.

When you take the ethics of religion out of society,

When you precribe a med for every mental disorder there is out there,

When one allows bad movies and game types where the youth seek the hero effect from, ( what ever happen to the John Wayne types?)

When computers open a social door that teaches the next generation this is the way it is.

The nature of how open society has become has allow the bad to grow.

Before the 1940's the biggest social event you could find was going to church on Sunday or going to the revivals of the Great Awakings.

Man is doing this to hisself. We need to Wake up.

Edited by thundercloud

I just got back from seeing it, and I loved it! I've always been a huge Batman fan, but I'm also a really big Superman fan, so I can't wait to see what Christopher Nolan does with The Man of Steel.