Oh yay, more shopping malls in Bristol (note the sarcasm)

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012/jul/20/bristol-va-leaders-want-smooth-out-some-ruffled-fe-ar-2070438/

Part of me is kind of excited because of some of the names of the stores coming that are being thrown around (nothing solid yet, just rumors) and of course the fact that this could bring in an insane amount of jobs (around 2,000) and money for the area.

But then there's the part of me that's really hating this since I live between Exit 5 and 7, so traffic is going to get even worse (I already associate the term "traffic in Bristol" with "idiots behind the wheel of a dangerous weapon").

I guess the good might outweigh the bad, so I'll just suck it up for now, especially if it means we get a Michaels or Hobby Lobby (please, PLEASE let there be a new Hobby Lobby!!!).

I'd like to see a mall built like the one in Johnson City, with about the same stores and an REI at exit 5 or 7. REI would do really good around this area !!!!

I wish it would be an actual mall and not a spread out shopping center like the many that dot the area (or maybe if it is a shopping center, maybe it could be one of those park-like, walk around areas like you see in Pigeon Forge, and maybe have some gimmick in the center, like mini golf). I'd just like to see something different for a change. BTW, what's REI?

why would these stores not just move in to the half empty Bristol Mall a couple of miles away?

The Bristol Mall really isn't THAT empty anymore, though it does still need help. The area just isn't what it used to be down there. Exit 7 is still expanding and Exit 5 still has a lot of potential (plus you get the best of both worlds by moving where they are since it's right between the two).

A Bass Pro Shops would be nice, oh well a guy can dream.

That's actually been a rumor for a long time, so you can keep hoping, it just might happen. The last rumors on Bass Pro Shop that I heard was that they were looking at a really big chunk of land just down the road from my house off of Island Road (where it meets Lee Hwy). It's been for sale for a really long time and I've seen different people doing stuff on the property. Maybe it'll happen one day soon (if not at that location, then maybe at this new one).

If I had my choice I would take Gander Mountain but I wouldn`t complain with any of the three.

Gander Mountain sucks compared to either Cabelas or Bass Pro. Cabelas has been putting "smaller scale" stores throughout the country in the last couple of years...getting ready to open one in Charleston, WV. It isn't the mega-store like in Wheeling but its still going to be good size. Others that have opened have been even smaller than the one opening in Charleston.

If I had my druthers, it would be 1) Cabelas 2) Bass Pro......33) Gander Mountain...

REI is Recreational Equipment Inc, they sale hiking, camping, biking, gear. I think one would do really good especially in the area we live with the AT running right through the heart of southwest VA. The closest one is in Asheville.

REI is Recreational Equipment Inc, they sale hiking, camping, biking, gear. I think one would do really good especially in the area we live with the AT running right through the heart of southwest VA. The closest one is in Asheville.

Isn't there a store just like that on Commonwealth? Can't remember what it's called, but they sell that kind of stuff right beside the Shell station.

Gander Mountain sucks compared to either Cabelas or Bass Pro. Cabelas has been putting "smaller scale" stores throughout the country in the last couple of years...getting ready to open one in Charleston, WV. It isn't the mega-store like in Wheeling but its still going to be good size. Others that have opened have been even smaller than the one opening in Charleston.

If I had my druthers, it would be 1) Cabelas 2) Bass Pro......33) Gander Mountain...

I haven`t been in a Gander Mountain store but I always enjoyed their catalogs. Thanks for the info though, I was going to stop at one on the way to the beach but I don`t think I will.

Yeah, wouldn't Cabela's or Bass Pro make a killing in the Abingdon/Bristol area? Or even up in Wytheville where the highways cross, it seems like would generate a great deal of business with people coming from all over.

REI is high-end, expensive. Awesome place, but I don't know how well it would do here.

They were saying before that a bunch of people in Kingsport were worried that the new Bristol place would get all the good big-name stores before them (partly because of cheaper taxes in VA vs. TN). I don't think it'll be that much of a problem though.