Word is...

GMan

BTW, did Richlands "self report" the illegal cleats???

Nope. Until the "smoking receipt" materialized, categorical denial was the position taken by RHS.

And FWIW, the cleats weren't the official reason for the probation. It was based on allegations of very poor behavior by Richlands fans in the title game against Orange.

My personal opinion is that the entire episode amounted to the VHSL bowing to Willis White's latest (at the time) temper tantrum.

Edited by RichlandsAlum

That's what I am curious about. If they should find that a school around here did activly recruit a player, what would come of it? Most punishments seems to me have been self inflicted/enforced over violations.

If it was determined that a team was using an ineligible/recruited player the punishment in the past has been for the offending team to offer a forfeit for ANY game the ineligible player played in.

This seems to happen at least a few times every year when teams start jockeying for playoff spots.

No administration is going to admit that they are recruiting unless someone dangles hard-core undeniable proof (such as video or verifiable emails)

Still, I'd hope this would've crossed someone's mind: "That Salem team is pretty good, we might see them again. Let's go somewhere else."

They never should have been ordered at all. Even for practice -- which apparently was one of the first explanations that was trotted out to deflect the issue.

And FWIW, the cleats weren't the official reason for the probation. It was based on allegations of very poor behavior by Richlands fans in the title game against Orange.

Many people felt the VHSL used the fan behavior as an excuse to punish Richlands since it had no by-laws in place to make a team forfeit for using illegal cleats.

Was fan behavior out of the norm for the title game?

There were allegations of racist comments made by Richlands fans during the state championship game. That was the semi-official explanation given for the subsequent probation in 1993 -- to the extent that an explanation was ever offered.

VHSL was just pickin' on the poor ol' Richlands folks...

No, the VHSL was kissing Willis White's posterior. If he had won the state title to which he felt personally entitled that year or the one previous to it, it's unlikely that the VHSL would have given Richlands any thought whatsoever.