Too short for the NFL

redtiger

I dont know about everyone else but im tired of NFL commentators discussing the Seattle Seahawks QB situation and saying that Russell Wilson is short and that gives Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn a decided advantage.

Last season Wilson operated behind the Wisconsin Oline and they were HUGE! Averaged 6'5" 325lbs

am I the only one that thinks that arguement doesent hold water?

I dont know about everyone else but im tired of NFL commentators discussing the Seattle Seahawks QB situation and saying that Russell Wilson is short and that gives Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn a decided advantage.

Last season Wilson operated behind the Wisconsin Oline and they were HUGE! Averaged 6'5" 325lbs

am I the only one that thinks that arguement doesent hold water?

(see: Brees, Drew)

I don't think height is going to be as much of an issue as the amount of money they paid Flynn. It will be hard to bench a guy making more than any other two members of the team. They will give him every chance to succeed before passing the torch to Wilson by mid-season.

I know I'm old, but these guys did (or are doing) pretty well and they were all 6 feet tall and under.

Y.A. Tittle

Doug Flutie

Joe Theismann

Eddie LeBaron

Sonny Jurgensen

Drew Brees

Len Dawson

Michael Vick

Billy Kilmer

Pat Haden

Not to mention one of the best of all time, Bart Starr was no giant either at 6'1".

Edited by blueinbama

exactly!

I understand the reasoning, if a guy is 5'11" and all of his linemen are 6'6" then there is the chance for that to be a problem but I dont think thats the situation in Wilsons case. I would bet that Wisconsin's Oline last season was larger than Seattles this season.

Its just something that theQB and the OC have to learn to work with but its not a major drawback imo.

The one thing that drives me crazy, more than just about anything else sports related is commentators who dont know what they are talking about. i.e. saying "the Oline is going to have to get a man on that DE", when its a Option play.

UVAO, you are exactly right about Vic Hall. He would have been a stud if given the chance. UVA played him at QB against VT one year in a quazi Wildcat/spread offense but they didnt have a big package and eventually tech figured it out and slowed him down but he still played a great game. I think their top 2-3 QBs were hurt and they put that offense in the week of the game.