Say it ain't so Joe...

bucfan64

What he "believed in" was a terribly out of context quote ripped out of Obama's speech in Roanoke by the Romney campaign.

For Obama to even pretend to whine about this is like Lindsay Lohan blasting someone for being an alcoholic.

I'm surprised no one's talked about Biden's "chains" comment. It was all over the news.

But...but...we haven't blasted Romney enough for stating a geographically accurate fact in his speech in Israel.

If Romney or Ryan would've said this, a media Hell would break loose.

Edited by UVAObserver

Ran out of food yesterday. Over 8,000 likes on facebook. Rest assured it did much more for his business than the people who had Biden over.

Just seems uninformed and ignorant. But then again, there was the whole Chick-Fil-A thing.

Since I didn't have a life between August 4th and last night, did the kiss-in thing ever get off the ground?

I haven't seen a whole lot on that. Just news channels mentioning it and that's about it. Facebook is flooded with supportive stuff for Chick-fil-a though (and a lot are from people claiming to be gay themselves).

Just seems uninformed and ignorant. But then again, there was the whole Chick-Fil-A thing.

The guy politely refused Biden and his people to come to his restaurant. He doesn't agree with Obama's policies and he didn't want to be part of Bidens publicity stunt. What is wrong with that?

The guy politely refused Biden and his people to come to his restaurant. He doesn't agree with Obama's policies and he didn't want to be part of Bidens publicity stunt. What is wrong with that?

Some people want to stay divided and never give reason a chance.

In my opinion, George W. Bush's second term was one of the worst spent by an American President. But if he was willing to come to my establishment, the President of the United States, into my hole in the wall establishment, I would waste no time in offering him a beer, making him pay full-price for it (of course), and embellish the opportunity to ask a couple questions.

Even Dick Cheney. I would avoid eye contact so that he didn't melt my soul, but it would nevertheless be an honor.

I would hope everyone would do that. But some people would rather close their minds and open their mouths. I don't understand why people support actions like this and then get uptight about negative campaign ads.

Some people want to stay divided and never give reason a chance.

In my opinion, George W. Bush's second term was one of the worst spent by an American President. But if he was willing to come to my establishment, the President of the United States, into my hole in the wall establishment, I would waste no time in offering him a beer, making him pay full-price for it (of course), and embellish the opportunity to ask a couple questions.

Even Dick Cheney. I would avoid eye contact so that he didn't melt my soul, but it would nevertheless be an honor.

I would hope everyone would do that. But some people would rather close their minds and open their mouths. I don't understand why people support actions like this and then get uptight about negative campaign ads.

See that is where we differ. You would welcome them in and that is fine. Why bash the guy because he didn't want to? It was his personal decision. If you don't want to praise him for it then that is fine, but don't bash the guy either.

For Obama to even pretend to whine about this is like Lindsay Lohan blasting someone for being an alcoholic.

What does Obama whining about the quote have to do with what we are talking about. Both campaigns do it, I know this...it's when people, like many of the people on this board and the bakery owner, regurgitate what they hear in political ads as fact and don't even take the time to read or listen to the entire speech.

See that is where we differ. You would welcome them in and that is fine. Why bash the guy because he didn't want to? It was his personal decision. If you don't want to praise him for it then that is fine, but don't bash the guy either.

Not bashing him. He donates a lot of cookies to the Women's Resource Center and various other local charities. He's a decent person. He's just one of too many Americans who would rather be divided and unreasonable. We will never overcome the closed mind.

Edited by deuceswild

What does Obama whining about the quote have to do with what we are talking about. Both campaigns do it, I know this...it's when people, like many of the people on this board and the bakery owner, regurgitate what they hear in political ads as fact and don't even take the time to read or listen to the entire speech.

Fair point, both parties are equally guilty of taking quotes out of context.

I have a two-part answer to your question, though. One, Obama's making the least thinly-veiled effort in modern campaign history to take attention away from his record and the sour economy, and will be more than happy to try to spin anything imaginable against the Republicans; it's just a matter of time before he uses it in an attack. Two, he has Jay Carney as his media parrot, and Carney is all too happy to voice opinions on every crossways fart a Republican makes. Well, maybe I shouldn't say "parrot". Parrots don't stutter and bluster when caught in "a-3rd-grader-could-see-this-coming" trap set by the token "WARNING: OBVIOUSLY CONSERVATIVE" newspaper.

Not bashing him. He donates a lot of cookies to the Women's Resource Center and various other local charities. He's a decent person. He's just one of too many Americans who would rather be divided and unreasonable. We will never overcome the closed mind.

I think he was just expressing his right to free speech....by not allowing someone else to speak in his establishment....or something.....YAY FREEDOM!

I think he was just expressing his right to free speech....by not allowing someone else to speak in his establishment....or something.....YAY FREEDOM!

Free Speech comes at the cost of consequence. While several like minded people will embrace his actions, just as many won't. Instead of bridging the gap, he's part of the problem.

Free Speech comes at the cost of consequence. While several like minded people will embrace his actions, just as many won't. Instead of bridging the gap, he's part of the problem.

He is not of a problem whatsoever. He could have welcomed him in but Joe Biden still would have left there and went on to make a divisive statement about Mitt Romney.

He is not of a problem whatsoever. He could have welcomed him in but Joe Biden still would have left there and went on to make a divisive statement about Mitt Romney.

That's going to happen regardless from both sides and is not the point I'm trying to make. I'm apparently bad at making it. I'll stop talking.

If refusing to be politically correct makes one divisive and part of the problem, where do I sign up?

It shows more character to stand up for your beliefs than to stand by and say nothing. The owner of this fine establishment chose to stand up for his beliefs in a civil manner. That is America.

And here's the part I LOVE best.... his business is taking off because of the publicity. NOT because of the quality of his product.

If his business is now successful, he can no longer stand behind the statement.

He didn't build it ... the media attention did.

Ahhhhhhh, irony.

I was most surprised that none of the talking heads went the simple route in trying to explain it away... "you had help" could easily be credited to your employees, suppliers, and $$$ backers (most small businesses start out with a loan from somewhere). And you can't leave out the customers.

And that caterer guy... wearing a tee that said “Government Didn't Build My Business", when Obama never even used the g-word. And to wear it on a job that he wouldn't have had if not for the govt. - priceless!

And here's the part I LOVE best.... his business is taking off because of the publicity. NOT because of the quality of his product.

Ahhhhhhh, irony.

I was most surprised that none of the talking heads went the simple route in trying to explain it away... "you had help" could easily be credited to your employees, suppliers, and $$$ backers (most small businesses start out with a loan from somewhere). And you can't leave out the customers.

And that caterer guy... wearing a tee that said “Government Didn't Build My Business", when Obama never even used the g-word. And to wear it on a job that he wouldn't have had if not for the govt. - priceless!

This might be the dumbest post ever on swvasports.com and that is saying something. He didn't ask for attention. The government is funding his business. The success he is receiving is from LACK of government.

The problem with the Presidents statement is very well understood by those who understand his love for Keynesian Economics. However, those who do not understand the rationale behind his statement, it does come across as a comment suggesting that business owners relied on customers, advertising, bank loans, etc. to build their business and therefore, did not do it alone.

However anyone that has done any research on the President and his background, understands that the President was not making the above implications when he made his statement. He clearly was implying that that Govt. builds businesses with his comment.... he said it because he believes it.........no need to hate the guy for expressing his views. Even if those views are not in line with traditional American ecomonic values, ie (free market capitalism) However, at the same time, no need to pretend that he meant something that he didn't. Not defending the Prez. at all, on the contrary, just suggesting that the comment he made tells us a lot more about him and his beliefs than what most people realize and more than most people are willing to ACCEPT.

Edited by bucfan64

Ahhhhhhh, irony.

VHSLHELPER I respectfully disagree with you, but I understand where you are coming from at the same time. In my opinion:

1. if the store owner is responsible for the statement, and then the media took it and ran with it, which resulted in an increase in sells, it could be argued that he (the business) owner was actually more clever than you are giving him credit for, his statement could be perceived as a clever marketing ploy, which he was responsible for, and the media then got the word out. Marketing 101, publicity is GOOD FOR BUSINESS. Especially FREE PUBLICITY.

2. Saying that a person didn't build their business because of govt. loans, employees, suppliers, money backers etc. is kind of like saying that my kids are only on the honor roll because of the bus driver that drove them to school and the manufacturer of the bus! Sorry, but I'm giving credit to those who earned the grade, ....my kids!

3. "You had help," could mean a lot of things, but everyone, including the Presidents staffers and all in attendance knew exactly what the President meant, he was giving the "G" word credit for business success. (Government)

4.I have a strong opinion that the caterer dude, would still be in business whether he served the President or not. If you take that approach, I guess McDonalds owes the government credit for all of it's success, especially since Bill Clinton likes to eat there a lot.

Not hating, just stating (my 2 cents)