Notre Dame to ACC???????

sandman

ACC exit fee raised to $50M too. Looks like no one should leave the ACC. I wonder if any of the schools voted against ND coming in under these circumstances or if this is a process when their TV deal runs out in 2015.

Is it too late to trade the Big East John Swafford for Notre Dame???

ACC exit fee raised to $50M too. Looks like no one should leave the ACC. I wonder if any of the schools voted against ND coming in under these circumstances or if this is a process when their TV deal runs out in 2015.

Is it too late to trade the Big East John Swafford for Notre Dame???

I read secondhand info on another message board that 4 ACC schools voted against this and are pissed it happened. Those schools? VT, GT, Clemson, and FSU.

Except in football, of course. Too much a cash cow.

If Jim Swofford weren't a bumbling oaf, he could've negotiated one Hell of a television deal with NBC, which would've taken away every ounce of leverage ND had for staying independent. But no. He had to lowball himself by nearly 50%, and do it a year before everyone else did.

VT is surprising, considering the gymnastics that took place to get them into the ACC 8 years ago...

Agreed.

Now spur the rumors of all the aforementioned schools jumping ship. VT/GT to the SEC and FSU/Clemson to B12.

I don't believe that Weaver was against the move at all. I would think Duke and UNC would be because they don't like change in any form.

Quote from Weaver via David Teel article from the Daily Press:

But with a playoff coming to college football and conference landscapes ever shifting, ACC commissioner John Swofford softened that hard line in July, reflecting the views of league officials such as Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver.

“I think we should gobble them up in a New York second and worry about football down the line,” Weaver told me last month. “There’s so many similarities to the academic side of the house and the Olympic sports side of the house, and the basketball side of the house, both men and women. …

“I think it’s a grand slam home run for the ACC. You only get so many opportunities to hit a grand slam home run. Can you imagine what (they’d) add in terms of the … TV contracts?”

Maybe it's a precursor to ND joining fully in 2016. ND has previously noted a lot of fear about scheduling if they remain an independent in football with the changing landscape. Couple that with their ratings dropping on NBC, maybe ND feels now is the time to make a different move.

I wonder if the Pac 12 fears getting left behind again now. "Mr. Castiglione, Larry Scott is on line 2 for you..."

Maybe it's a precursor to ND joining fully in 2016.

It has to be, IMO. Not a chance in hell I would vote and/or not do anything in my power to increase the exit fee to $50 million if Notre Dame wouldn't commit fully to the ACC in all sports in the very near future.

Does anyone know if the exit fee takes effect immediately or is there a certain date it starts?

I believe it's immediate. The $20M buyout was immediate when approved I thought.

Also, it appears no ACC school was against the buyout increase or the addition of ND.

I read secondhand info on another message board that 4 ACC schools voted against this and are pissed it happened. Those schools? VT, GT, Clemson, and FSU.

Was that a West Virginia message board, by any chance? Just curious.

As this was a vote of the university presidents, I'd be VERY surprised to learn that Charles Steger would have voted against it. Tech's administration doesn't seem to be in any position to make waves in terms of the internal politics of the ACC, nor does there seem to be any motivation for us to do so.

The increase in the exit fee seems to indicate that some members were flirting with other leagues (FSU and Clemson being the more likely candidates there), but Virginia Tech definitely was not one of them.

VT is surprising, considering the gymnastics that took place to get them into the ACC 8 years ago...

Personally, I think that rumor is false -- for the very reason that you implied as well as some other interesting political dynamics.

Either way, we'll never know. Swofford did seem to learn a few things back in 2003. The official vote was unanimous, which is a fact. Anything else is conjecture and of questionable value at best.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-09-12/sports/os-acc-exit-fee-notre-dame-florida-state-20120912_1_exit-fee-acc-s-council-current-member-schools

$50M exit fee immediate. It also appears that Clemson and FSU were solid in their commitment to the ACC (along with everyone else) or else why did they vote to increase the exit fee....

Was that a West Virginia message board, by any chance? Just curious.

As this was a vote of the university presidents, I'd be VERY surprised to learn that Charles Steger would have voted against it. Tech's administration doesn't seem to be in any position to make waves in terms of the internal politics of the ACC, nor does there seem to be any motivation for us to do so.

The increase in the exit fee seems to indicate that some members were flirting with other leagues (FSU and Clemson being the more likely candidates there), but Virginia Tech definitely was not one of them.

No not a WV board, I read it on the Rivals Main Board. I believe it was actually a FSU fan that mentioned it. I'll try to go back and find the exact quote and/or additional info for you but there are a million threads started every minute about the same topic so its like finding a needle in the haystack.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-09-12/sports/os-acc-exit-fee-notre-dame-florida-state-20120912_1_exit-fee-acc-s-council-current-member-schools

$50M exit fee immediate. It also appears that Clemson and FSU were solid in their commitment to the ACC (along with everyone else) or else why did they vote to increase the exit fee....

Bringing in Notre Dame probably solidified their commitment to the ACC. The fact that it was increased at all seems to indicate that somebody was semi-serious about leaving the conference.

No not a WV board, I read it on the Rivals Main Board. I believe it was actually a FSU fan that mentioned it. I'll try to go back and find the exact quote and/or additional info for you but there are a million threads started every minute about the same topic. I'll see if I can't get lucky.

Cool. If you can find it, that's great. If not, no big deal.

I'll still prefer to believe that Virginia Tech isn't going to stand in the way of any ACC expansion unless it would have some serious (i.e. catastrophic) consequences for the interests in Blacksburg. I would expect that the nature of the compromise generated much debate within the Council of Presidents. Furthermore, I think Steger would have been remiss if he didn't expand upon the Big East's experience in trying to work out a similar negotiated arrangement with Notre Dame. But I can't imagine that he'd actually cast a "nay" vote, even in a straw poll.

Does Notre Dame also take a bowl tie in away from the ACC? It always frustrated me that they could have a mediocre season but get to play in the Gator Bowl.

Yes they are eligible to take a bowl game but not a BCS bowl game from an ACC team. 90% of Bowl games are garbage anyway these days and most schools lose money playing them. If and 8-5 ND team bumps a 10-3 VT team from a Chick-Fil-A Bowl for the Charlotte Bowl, I'm fine with it.

Edited by bhs7695

Yes they are eligible to take a bowl game but not a BCS bowl game from an ACC team. 90% of Bowl games are garbage anyway these days and most schools lose money playing them. If and 8-5 ND team bumps a 10-3 VT team from a Chick-Fil-A Bowl for the Charlotte Bowl, I'm fine with it.

I think the arrangement says that they have to be within one win of the eligible ACC team in order to qualify for any particular bowl.

But I'm not sure why I think that.

So since ND has to play 5 games vs ACC teams every year, any chance we could see the Irish in Blacksburg at some point in the future?

I would think so.

I got a text this morning from my buddy who is a die hard Irish fan that he wanted a ticket when ND comes to Blacksburg for football. I hadn't heard the news yet and almost asked him: "WTF are you talking about?!?"

Here are the particulars of Notre Dame’s “partnership” with the ACC:

-Notre Dame will join the conference for all sports but football and hockey.

-Notre Dame will play five games against ACC football teams each season. Each ACC school is guaranteed to play ND once every three years.

-The ACC’s exit fee will be increased to $50 million, immediately. The new $50 million exit fee DOES apply to Notre Dame, immediately.

-Each ACC school is guaranteed to play Notre Dame in football once every three years.

-ND gets an equal “member share” of non-football rev., but the ACC keeps all football rev and won’t share that. Football revenue is 80% of the ACC’s television contract (per John Swofford), so Notre Dame will therefore get 1/15th of 20% of the ACC’s TV money.

-Below the BCS bowls, Notre Dame is part of ACC’s bowl lineup. If Notre Dame is to be selected over an ACC team, they must be ranked higher and be within 1 win of that ACC team.

-There is the possibility of an ACC-Notre Dame Orange Bowl. In that scenario, the ACC would keep it share of revenue, and Notre Dame would keep its share of revenue as the ACC opponent. Ditto for other BCS bowls.

-The projection for joining is 2015-16, but Notre Dame will try to accelerate that process via negotiations with the Big East.

-There is no need to add a 16th team, and no intent to do so, per ACC Commissioner John Swofford.

-The five annual football games will be 3/2 split home/away for ND, followed by 2/3 the next year, etc.

-The arrangement will not affect Notre Dame’s football contract with NBC.

-Bringing in Notre Dame will allow ACC to ask for additional compensation in ESPN deal.

Notre Dame could increase ACC’s media rights from $17M per school to between $18M-$19M per school (@McMurphyESPN on Twitter).

Personally, I think that rumor is false -- for the very reason that you implied as well as some other interesting political dynamics.

Either way, we'll never know. Swofford did seem to learn a few things back in 2003. The official vote was unanimous, which is a fact. Anything else is conjecture and of questionable value at best.

Very true.