ratings & standings & news... OH MY!

VHSLhelper

It looks like the PH Rebels are in? Don't think they can get knocked out even if they don't win out? Am I right on that?

I'm thinking PH will have to win one more to get in. Rye Cove sits in the 17th position and they play winless Twin Springs next week and should get a 3rd win. That 3rd win if it happens should give RC enough points to pass PH.

Helper or some others here who are better with the points would know for sure.

If PH does get in, it's proof way too many teams get in under this system. I've seen them play and they have no business in the playoffs. No offense to Coach Palmer or the kids but a 2-8 team just doesn't belong.

What if the 2-8 team plays a tougher schedule than 3-7? In my opinion neither should be in, but it's a tough argument. One has more wins, one played tougher teams. I guess we will find out at the end of the regular season.

Edited by KCFan

What if this 2-8 team lost to three teams that could finish 9-1 (Honaker, John Battle, George Wythe)? Wouldn't the strength of schedule get them in over a 3-7 team whose best opponent went 7-3? I don't think either should be in, just trying to see if going 2-8 against a tougher schedule would get in over a 3-7 team with a not as tough schedule.

If it would, it would. The points will work themselves out...teams that get in, get it. If you ain't in, you're out...

What if the 2-8 team plays a tougher schedule than 3-7? In my opinion neither should be in, but it's a tough argument. One has more wins, one played tougher teams. I guess we will find out at the end of the regular season.

Graham fell a few rating points short of the playoffs in the 1-9 season on similar reasons.

I'm thinking PH will have to win one more to get in. Rye Cove sits in the 17th position and they play winless Twin Springs next week and should get a 3rd win. That 3rd win if it happens should give RC enough points to pass PH.

Helper or some others here who are better with the points would know for sure.

If PH does get in, it's proof way too many teams get in under this system. I've seen them play and they have no business in the playoffs. No offense to Coach Palmer or the kids but a 2-8 team just doesn't belong.

I concur with this assessment. PH is not a good team at all, very bad indeed. I don't know how the #1 team could charge admission to see that massacre.

I concur with this assessment. PH is not a good team at all, very bad indeed. I don't know how the #1 team could charge admission to see that massacre.

They paid to watch George Wythe massacre Twin Springs last yr... why wouldn't the VHSL also want the funds generated from this yrs massacres!

I feel as if this new watered down system just takes away the pride of making it into the playoffs. What once was a major hurdle is now just winning a couple of games. Also, we have this system in place, for better or worse, but I can't figure out why or how any playoff system could have a team get in with a better seed than a team that beat them by 40 points. Again, I am only talking about the bottom end of the bracket and it is not like those teams have a realistic shot but it just doesn't make sense.

But a 3-7 team does?

I wasn't making a case for Rye Cove or any other 3-7 or 2-8 team. More or less making the case that 16 teams getting in is too many. Don't get me wrong i like the extra football but 12 making it in instead of 16 would make so much more sense.

Except at the cash register...

I feel as if this new watered down system just takes away the pride of making it into the playoffs. What once was a major hurdle is now just winning a couple of games. Also, we have this system in place, for better or worse, but I can't figure out why or how any playoff system could have a team get in with a better seed than a team that beat them by 40 points. Again, I am only talking about the bottom end of the bracket and it is not like those teams have a realistic shot but it just doesn't make sense.

Does it really matter if a team loses to the #3 seed instead of the #1 seed???

No. In the playoffs, a loss is a loss and your season is over.

Yep. Only thing that really makes a diff. to me is who gets seeded 7-10.. those are the games to watch in the 1st round, since they're pretty much even.

... but I can't figure out why or how any playoff system could have a team get in with a better seed than a team that beat them by 40 points.

Lots of systems work thaqt way. Pretty sure someone could site an NFL team that blew out a playoff team but stayed at home sometime in recent history... same for NBA. And college bowl teams.

Heck, a few years ago, we had a 9-1 team get seeded higher than a 10-0 team that beat them, because of "SoS'. (Amherst & Libertywere the 2 involved)