Are SWVA teams down from last yr?

wave316

I was just going to mention us also. Look, we should have beaten Battle, that was a fluke and a prayer, so like you said, we should be 7-1. Also, we seem to be peaking at the right time, so while we aren't gonna win it all, we could pull an upset and win a game in the postseason.

Sixcat....#44 is a player......is he son of new wrestling coach at Galax from Sparta,NC. I hear he is a heck of a wrestler also

Yes he is. He did't start the first couple of games but the coaches can't keep him off the field. #78 and #6 are also going to be stars, also. #6 is a bigger version of Steven Peoples, very strong, fast and loves contact.

Battle played of awful that game to.....dont think you'd beat them in a rematch. Regardless of what we think....... what we know is that JSB beat VHS on the field. End of discussion. Last year was penalties....this year was a fluke.... C'mon man, are you from Abingdon?

Battle played of awful that game to.....dont think you'd beat them in a rematch. Regardless of what we think....... what we know is that JSB beat VHS on the field. End of discussion. Last year was penalties....this year was a fluke.... C'mon man, are you from Abingdon?

Last year WAS penalties, that and the referees magically finding a hold every time Ramey busted off a 70 yard run against you. If we played again, would Battle win? Maybe, but we're also playing much better than we were then also.

Both teams are better now than at that time. Who knows, maybe we'll see in a few weeks. Dont get to excited over the GC win though. Their kids cashed it in after the Battle game. They even have a starter wanting to miss this Friday's game to attend a wedding. lol They had an awful week of practice leading up to the VHS game. I think the entire start of the season, the 1-4 start and everything....their kids were still playing for the district championship. Once that was gone, they're counting down the days to basketball season. Thats not saying that VHS wouldnt have beat them anyway, just that the margin of victory is decieving.

VHS has improved alot....... they can even throw the football now.

I don't think VHS would beat Battle very badly in a rematch (if they beat them that is). It would be another really close game with either team coming out on top. And just look at the schedules, not a lot of difference in strength (VHS's is a little tougher, but not by that much). Both teams beat Abingdon and GC and VHS beat a down Tazewell team, a down Chilhowie team, a down Radford team (who almost beat VHS), and lost to Union, who is a good team, but has been a bit up and down this season. And of course TN High would beat either team. Even with VHS finally putting things together now, I just don't see them being that much better than Battle.

I do hope we get to see a rematch in the playoffs though. It'd be a great game IMO.

And just look at the schedules, not a lot of difference in strength (VHS's is a little tougher, but not by that much). Both teams beat Abingdon and GC and VHS beat a down Tazewell team, a down Chilhowie team, a down Radford team (who almost beat VHS), and lost to Union, who is a good team, but has been a bit up and down this season. And of course TN High would beat either team.

Here is a list in order of the 2012 strength of schedule for Division 2 teams within the state according to opponent's rating up to this point from the VHSL reference website:

1. Gate City

2. Arcadia

3. Glenvar

4. Union

5. Gretna

6. Lee

7. Graham

8. Nelson County

9. Page

10. William Monroe

11. Clarke County

12. Stonewall Jackson

13. Manassas Park

14. Floyd County

15. George Mason

16. Chatham

17. Wilson Memorial

18. Stuarts Draft

19. Amelia County

20. Fort Chiswell

21. Washington & Lee

22. King William

23. Nottoway

24. Bluestone

25. Central (Woodstock)

26. Lebanon

27. James River (Buchanan)

28. Virginia High

29. Goochland

30. Randolph-Henry

31. Luray

32. Windsor

33. Grayson County

34. Essex

35. Dan River

36. East Rockingham

37. Buckingham County

38. Madison County

39. Appomattox

40. Buffalo Gap

41. Nandua

42. John Battle

43. Riverheads

44. Giles

45. Strasburg

46. Wise Central

47. Grundy

I'd say Virginia High's schedule is a little stronger myself.

If Battle played VHS's schedule up to this point, I believe the Trojans would only have one loss (to Tennessee High). Could possibly be two losses; I think the Union game would be close and could go either way as with VHS, but I think Battle could win. If VHS played Battle's schedule, they'd probably be 7-1 (loss to Battle as it happened). VHS does have the tougher schedule, but I don't believe it's really that much tougher as many believe.

This year especially, the VHS-Battle game should've been played at the end of the year, when both teams are in their groove, instead of in August

I agree. I don't think they've ever played past midway in the season. I'd love to see them play much later.