Are SWVA teams down from last yr?

wave316

Seems like Richlands ,Gate City, Galax, Chilhowie, Burton are down this yr....Clintwood,GW, Honaker, Haysi , Abingdon, Union ,Haysi about the same.....Teams doing better seem to be John Battle, Graham, Ft Chiswell...

What do you guys think....I think defenses are weaker, olines are weaker, etc..

Seems like Richlands ,Gate City, Galax, Chilhowie, Burton are down this yr....Clintwood,GW, Honaker, Haysi , Abingdon, Union ,Haysi about the same.....Teams doing better seem to be John Battle, Graham, Ft Chiswell...

What do you guys think....I think defenses are weaker, olines are weaker, etc..

how about eastside,ive not been keeping up to much but thinking they have made some noise this yr?whats their record?

how about eastside,ive not been keeping up to much but thinking they have made some noise this yr?whats their record?

Yep ..forgot about Eastside... they are better than last yr.... they have lost to Honaker and Burton..... Should be in the top 8 of the west team playoff picture... may win a play off game or two ... still not in the ranks of the Clintwoods or GW's imo

Also Castlewood is down imo...they will meet Eastside for last game of the seson and district championship...should be a good one!

Eastside is pretty good. Their defense is about the same as last season but their offense is ALOT better. They are running a system that works well with what they have and stays away from what they dont(unlike last year where they were running what the HC wanted to run).

I could see them winning 1-2 playoff games and keeping it close in a 3rd

Obviously, Richlands and Clintwood are still the cream of the crop regarding SWVA football; however, both are not as strong as they were last year. Both will be at home during the first round of the playoffs and both are capable of advancing numerous times once there. Hopefully, both will make it to the final four in their respective divisions and at that point anything can happen.

The biggest surprise of the season .... John Battle. I am so glad to see success come to this school and to the "Battle community." Battle will most likely be the top seed when the D2-West playoffs begin. The Trojans should finish the season undefeated and could possibly make it all the way to Salem! If so, I will be there to witness and support.

The MED has four schools that should make the playoffs... Grayson County, Galax, Fort Chiswell, and Graham. No doubt that the biggest surprise of them all is Graham. The G-Men could finish up with an 8-2 record and at worst 7-3. No Graham fan would have even considered this possibility two years ago. Graham will have their hands full against Fort Chiswell but the G-Men should breeze past Narrows and Bland County. Unless something major happens Grayson County should win the MED. However, Galax and Fort Chiswell will undoubtedly have something to say about this! The Grayson-Fort Chiswell game this week will certainly have great significance in regards to the district championship.

In my opinion, John Battle, Richlands, Clintwood, Giles, and George Wythe have the best possibility of bring home the State hardware. Although this part of the state is a "little down" this year, several schools have the ability to, and most likely will, make a lot of noise!

In reference to Gate City ... no one should expect the Blue Devils to be down and out for too long!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

Obviously, Richlands and Clintwood are still the cream of the crop regarding SWVA football; however, both are not as strong as they were last year. Both will be at home during the first round of the playoffs and both are capable of advancing numerous times once there. Hopefully, both will make it to the final four in their respective divisions and at that point anything can happen.

The biggest surprise of the season .... John Battle. I am so glad to see success come to this school and to the "Battle community." Battle will most likely be the top seed when the D2-West playoffs begin. The Trojans should finish the season undefeated and could possibly make it all the way to Salem! If so, I will be there to witness and support.

The MED has four schools that should make the playoffs... Grayson County, Galax, Fort Chiswell, and Graham. No doubt that the biggest surprise of them all is Graham. The G-Men could finish up with an 8-2 record and at worst 7-3. No Graham fan would have even considered this possibility two years ago. Graham will have their hands full against Fort Chiswell but the G-Men should breeze past Narrows and Bland County. Unless something major happens Grayson County should win the MED. However, Galax and Fort Chiswell will undoubtedly have something to say about this! The Grayson-Fort Chiswell game this week will certainly have great significance in regards to the district championship.

In my opinion, John Battle, Richlands, Clintwood, Giles, and George Wythe have the best possibility of bring home the State hardware. Although this part of the state is a "little down" this year, several schools have the ability to, and most likely will, make a lot of noise!

In reference to Gate City ... no one should expect the Blue Devils to be down and out for too long!

Richlands may go deep in the playoffs but I don't see no state hardware this season! Giles maybe, that style of offense is hard to stop if you don't see it often! GW has a good team, not sure what they will have there, they have had there hands full with some teams this season!

To me the best team Graham has played this year is Grayson Co by a large margin. And that is no disrespect to Richlands either. Grayson picked us apart. John Battle is a fraud. They have feasted on weak teams all year, and truthfully without a strong Gate City the CMD is crap. Battle won't make it past the second round, and you can put that in big bold letters and post it in the battle locker room.

Clintwood are still the cream of the crop regarding SWVA football; however are not as strong as they were last year.

Don't know about that. Better record this year than last and dispatching people much better than last year. Don't know how they'll finish the season but they are far better at this point in time than they were at this time last year.

Richlands may go deep in the playoffs but I don't see no state hardware this season! Giles maybe, that style of offense is hard to stop if you don't see it often! GW has a good team, not sure what they will have there, they have had there hands full with some teams this season!

Richlands will win one playoff game. I see Tunstall taking the hardware for region 4 this year (maybe Cave Spring).

To me the best team Graham has played this year is Grayson Co by a large margin. And that is no disrespect to Richlands either. Grayson picked us apart. John Battle is a fraud. They have feasted on weak teams all year, and truthfully without a strong Gate City the CMD is crap. Battle won't make it past the second round, and you can put that in big bold letters and post it in the battle locker room.

Are you saying Grayson County is better than Richlands...Seen Grayson play one time when they came to Clintwood...We spanked them 49-7. Not seen Richlands play this yr. Don't know if Clintwood could deal the same hand to Richlands..

Are you saying Grayson County is better than Richlands...Seen Grayson play one time when they came to Clintwood...We spanked them 49-7. Not seen Richlands play this yr. Don't know if Clintwood could deal the same hand to Richlands..

Uh, no. A healthy Richlands would beat Clintwood, and that's no disrespect towards Clintwood.

Uh, no. A healthy Richlands would beat Clintwood, and that's no disrespect towards Clintwood.

No disrespect to Richlands ..but Richlands barely beat Union by 2 points ..Clintwood beat Union at Union by 22... Richlands is down this yr in my opinion..Last yr Devon Johnson was amazing...... I hope they do great and go far this yr. Clintwood is a small school of 300 students ... play with great heart .Last yr no one picked Clintwood to beat GW ,Sussexx, Galax...yet they believed in themselves.. They handed a 6-1-Grayson County team a 49 to 7 loss this yr and Grayson beat Graham by 2 or 3 touchdowns.. So Clintwood could stand their ground with Richlands imo..

No disrespect to Richlands ..but Richlands barely beat Union by 2 points ..Clintwood beat Union at Union by 22... Richlands is down this yr in my opinion..Last yr Devon Johnson was amazing...... I hope they do great and go far this yr. Clintwood is a small school of 300 students ... play with great heart .Last yr no one picked Clintwood to beat GW ,Sussexx, Galax...yet they believed in themselves.. They handed a 6-1-Grayson County team a 49 to 7 loss this yr and Grayson beat Graham by 2 or 3 touchdowns.. So Clintwood could stand their ground with Richlands imo..

Agreed. I have NO idea how Union was able to score 30 points on Richalands either. That's the most God awful offense ever.

One thing for sure here ... the Grayson County team that showed up at Mitchell Stadium (Graham) two weeks ago is NOT the same team that showed up earlier in the season at Clintwood! We can all admit that on any given day any given team can play their best game OR their worst game. Although I am a Graham fan, there is no doubt that at this point in the regular season Bluefield WV is actually playing the best football of anyone. Too bad that the Beavers and Richlands did not hook up this year. I would have loved seeing that one!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

Galax is definetely down this year. They start 2 freshmen and 3 sophmores on defense . There QB is learning and is getting his first starts. Their defense has given up too many points and two close games (Fort, Graham) has showed their lack of experience to close games out like a seasoned defense would. There passing game is no threat and defense's should be able to key in on their RB's (People brothers). Their LB core is much less physical and more importantly less experienced than last year. Clintwood should return to title game and odds are they will repeat. Think Galax will be a much improved team next year as their defense gets experience under their belts. Like to see one of the top 4 in the MED make a deep run in playoff's this year. Good luck to Graham, Fort, Grayson and Galax!:)

Edited by sportsfan

Galax is definetely down this year. They start 2 freshmen and 3 sophmores on defense . There QB is learning and is getting his first starts. Their defense has given up too many points and two close games (Fort, Graham) has showed their lack of experience to close games out like a seasoned defense would. There passing game is no threat and defense's should be able to key in on their RB's (People brothers). Their LB core is much less physical and more importantly less experienced than last year. Clintwood should return to title game and odds are they will repeat. Think Galax will be a much improved team next year as their QB and defense gets experience under their belts. Like to see one of the top 4 in the MED make a deep run in playoff's this year. Good luck to Graham, Fort, Grayson and Galax!:)

Will the Peeples brothers be back?? If not...I'd say, they'll take a hit next year...regardless of what they've got coming back.

As for Graham, they are young as well and are also starting a couple of sophomores and a freshman....

One thing for sure here ... the Grayson County team that showed up at Mitchell Stadium (Graham) two weeks ago is NOT the same team that showed up earlier in the season at Clintwood! We can all admit that on any given day any given team can play their best game OR their worst game. Although I am a Graham fan, there is no doubt that at this point in the regular season Bluefield WV is actually playing the best football of anyone. Too bad that the Beavers and Richlands did not hook up this year. I would have loved seeing that one!

Bluefield showed us a glimpse of what they could do at the end of that Graham game... Lightning speed and can score very quickly.... and they are playing great at this point in the season....one can only hope that Graham continues to improve...and if they can get their defense shored up...they'll be fine.

Will the Peeples brothers be back?? If not...I'd say, they'll take a hit next year...regardless of what they've got coming back.

As for Graham, they are young as well and are also starting a couple of sophomores and a freshman....

Donte is a senior, Steven is a junior. Galax is a team dominated by sophomores and freshmen being carried by the Peoples brothers. Galax has 4 freshmen and 8 sophomores who play considerably more time than the seniors who start ahead of them. Galax is building to next year when Keyshawn Brown takes over at QB. Calib Spurlin #44 is a freshman at 6' and 200 pounds is leading the team in tackles. Zamir Echeagaray is a 5'-11" 230 pound freshman who starts on both lines.

Not so sure there. Physical teams that run the football traditionally give Richlands trouble (Turner Ashby, Monticello, Poquoson, Pulaski...etc). Would be a good game to watch. The Meade kid would be the best on the field, IMO. Also, healthy or not, suspended or not. There should be no excuses. Wins are wins and losses are losses.

Edited by old_school_blue

VA High has risen like Lazarus from the dead & if not for incredibly close losses should be 7-1, only the TN High loss was by more than 6 points. Again, like Battle though, the CMD is weak this year