James Monroe fans (if there are any left)

Bluefield_Rules

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x519515736/Witt-resigns-as-James-Monroe-football-coach?keyword=secondarystory

Let's go back five years ago this December when the Mavs were heading to Wheeling to play the Beavers in the title game. I remember despite being in the title tilt a good number of you were calling for Dave Witt's head because of the offense he ran, the single wing. Witt retired about a month later and Donny Jackson was restored as coach. Fast-forward five years and the Mavs are barely winning 2-3 games and nowhere near competitive with any of the top teams in "AA." Those of you that wanted Witt gone are you happy with results? The offense he ran might have been boring and never won you a state title, but the complexity I believe would still be winning you a lot of games (7-9 a year) and at least having you competitive with some of the other top "AA" school. I said it then and I'll say it again, Witt was the right coach for the Mavs and his offense was perfect fit for the student-athletes in Monroe County; much like it is for the folks in Giles.

From the perspective of a Beaver fan, I am disappointed in James Monroe fall. Having a strong program like JM used to be was a positive for the Beavers. Now, I am not sure the series is worth continuing from Bluefield side of things. You guys aren't competitive and you provide very little playoff points. And beating JM just isn't as fun without the Mav fans actually thinking they can win...;)

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x519515736/Witt-resigns-as-James-Monroe-football-coach?keyword=secondarystory

Let's go back five years ago this December when the Mavs were heading to Wheeling to play the Beavers in the title game. I remember despite being in the title tilt a good number of you were calling for Dave Witt's head because of the offense he ran, the single wing. Witt retired about a month later and Donny Jackson was restored as coach. Fast-forward five years and the Mavs are barely winning 2-3 games and nowhere near competitive with any of the top teams in "AA." Those of you that wanted Witt gone are you happy with results? The offense he ran might have been boring and never won you a state title, but the complexity I believe would still be winning you a lot of games (7-9 a year) and at least having you competitive with some of the other top "AA" school. I said it then and I'll say it again, Witt was the right coach for the Mavs and his offense was perfect fit for the student-athletes in Monroe County; much like it is for the folks in Giles.

From the perspective of a Beaver fan, I am disappointed in James Monroe fall. Having a strong program like JM used to be was a positive for the Beavers. Now, I am not sure the series is worth continuing from Bluefield side of things. You guys aren't competitive and you provide very little playoff points. And beating JM just isn't as fun without the Mav fans actually thinking they can win...;)

Very well said! It is sad to see such a huge decline in once an outstanding program. Actually, this reminds me of the decline of the Graham program from several years ago. Fortunately, the Graham program finally made the needed changes and the "great turn around" has begun. Hopefully, with the needed changes being made, the same will happen for James Monroe.

I was glad to see the Beavers get the big win though!

It's not the coaching we simply don't have the players. It takes size in the line to play the single wing and we don't have it. We use to have the big old farm boys but we don't at the moment. Both of our middle schools were good last year and this year. Alot of good backs and decent speed and some big boys, some which are already bigger then the varsity boys. We're two years from being really good but we will be back! It doesn"t matter what kind of offense we run right now we simply don't have the players. We'll take our lumps for now but what've seen from both middle schools gives me hope in the near future.

It's not the coaching we simply don't have the players. It takes size in the line to play the single wing and we don't have it. We use to have the big old farm boys but we don't at the moment. Both of our middle schools were good last year and this year. Alot of good backs and decent speed and some big boys, some which are already bigger then the varsity boys. We're two years from being really good but we will be back! It doesn"t matter what kind of offense we run right now we simply don't have the players. We'll take our lumps for now but what've seen from both middle schools gives me hope in the near future.

I have no idea who starts and who doesn't. but looking at the BDTBlitz page, I see plenty of size.

#60 is 5'10" and 244

#55 is 6'1" and 239

#54 is 6'0" and 239

#75 is 6'5" and 311

#63 is 6'0" and 227

#53 is 6'0" and 225

I'd suggest that size isn't your problem. Bluefield is no bigger than that, in fact, for the most part, Bluefield is smaller.

Single wing uses a lot of misdirection and trap blocks. Don't have to be big as an offensive lineman, just have to be quick and reasonably strong for your size.

quickness, strength, execution

thats what makes "the" single wing work. Size helps but isint a neccesity.

Look at Giles; when they are big they pound people, when they are smaller they are more varied. Probably the biggest key to "the" Single Wing is a clever play caller

I have no idea who starts and who doesn't. but looking at the BDTBlitz page, I see plenty of size.

#60 is 5'10" and 244

#55 is 6'1" and 239

#54 is 6'0" and 239

#75 is 6'5" and 311

#63 is 6'0" and 227

#53 is 6'0" and 225

I'd suggest that size isn't your problem. Bluefield is no bigger than that, in fact, for the most part, Bluefield is smaller.

Single wing uses a lot of misdirection and trap blocks. Don't have to be big as an offensive lineman, just have to be quick and reasonably strong for your size.

Size doesn't matter when the boys are soft and these boys are. No fire in them!

63 is our best lineman. He was hurt and didn't dress. Only a couple of those are starters.

Edited by kevin

Oh, there are still a few of us out here. James Monroe is definitely going through a rough patch. Not since the school opened have we had such disappointing back-to-back seasons, but I think most people saw it coming. Size, athletic ability, mental toughness, have all taken a hit. I'm not sure how Coach Witt would have done. I'll admit that, as a fan, I really liked watching the single wing - especially with the O-line of that team that played Bluefield for the championship. If Witt had thrown in a little more passing (Giles does employ that) it would have been great! Like Kevin, though, I think some improvement is in the making. Given the rural nature of our county and the limited job opportunities, James Monroe doesn't see much new blood or that outstanding athlete that just moves into the County to give us that extra boost; and when injuries or other problems hit, it really makes us pretty thin. BUT, I believe better things will come, and I would hope that Bluefield doesn't drop us from their schedule. It is, from our standpoint, a rivalry that we hope to make pretty competitive again.