Bluefield WV @ Robert C. Byrd

starcityfootballfan

No doubt, my second most favorite team, the Bluefield Beavers, will have a long bus ride up to Clarksburg. Interstate 79 will provide some twists and turns for the Beavers; however, the road will be the only twists and turns the Beavers will face. I expect this to be a close game for about one quarter and then it is all Bluefield. Byrd had a hard time shaking off a much weaker Braxton County team last week in the first round. On the other hand, Bluefield wasted no time in whipping up on Roane County. Byrd's only defeat came at the hands of neighboring Bridgeport. Clarksburg and Bridgeport are only a couple of miles apart; however, the two communities are not neighborly when it comes to their sports teams. Bridgeport is also still alive in the West Virginia Group AA ranks.

I have a couple of friends from Bridgeport and they all seem to think that Wayne and Bluefield are still the ones to beat in WV Group AA. This is coming from two die hard Bridgeport Indian fans. They seem to know what the rest of WV knows .... Wayne and Bluefield are destined for round two.

I am going with my gut ... and my Bridgeport buddies ... in agreeing that Bluefield will indeed get a second shot at Wayne.

Bluefield 36

Robert C. Byrd 15

Go Beavers!

The bottom line here is that these two teams play an entirely different brand of football.

Edited by starcityfootballfan

I think Bluefield wins a grinder. Byrd's defense has been really good, but Bridgeport and Braxton Coutu had a lot of success. RCB has a really good coach, whose defenses at Bridgeport were disciplined.

I hear they have two good DL and a good LB. That's not enough to beat Bluefield, but maybe contain the big plays.

Offensively, Byrd has been above average. But Bluefield's team speed is what they will struggle with.

I'll take Bluefield 31, RCB 20.

What year isleggett?

I've heard some of the travel distances for wv playoffs and its crazy. Scott has over 250 mile drive in the 2nd round? Is there anyway they could split the north and south until the semifinals it so?

Travel can really be a grind. In 2008, James Monroe traveled almost 1400 miles (roundtrip) during just the playoffs. We traveled to Chapmanville, WV, (below Charleston) Weirton, WV (northern panhandle) and back to New Martinsville, WV (north, along Ohio River.) (But oh how I wish for those days!:()

I think RCB only has about 23-25 kids on the team.

My brother in law has officiated a few of their games this year he said they are well coached and strong. They will have problems with Bluefield's speed if they get in space.

Bluefield needs to expect a very physical game.

I don't know a whole lot about RCB other than the fact that Bluefield has played them a few times in previous years and they had pretty decent teams. I also know that they've put up some big points against some teams this year and I heard that they do have some decent speed. I expect a competitive game this Friday night up in Clarksburg.

I believe they are coached by Jimbo Fisher's brother.

Negative, Ghostrider.

ROBERT C BYRD

Senior Football Roster

No Pos Name Gr Ht Wt

2 WR/DB Iziah Hill 12 6'1 160

4 RB/DB Ben D'Annunzio 10 6' 185

5 QB/DB Julian Marino 9 5'8 135

6 QB/DB Aaron Taylor 12 6'1 155

8 WR/DB Devin Langford 12 6'2 165

10 P/K Scott Levine 12 6' 185

11 RB/DB Mason Compton 12 5'8 175

12 WR/DB Preston Nelson 9 5'7 135

14 WR/DB Tirrell Harris 10 5'7 120

16 QB/DB Alex Banko 10 5'8 140

20 RB/LB Nick Marino 11 6' 195

21 WR/DB Logan Barnett 9 5'10 150

24 RB/DB Thomas Hollaway 9 5'6 150

30 TE/LB Robert Helsley 10 6' 155

34 TE/DL Thomas Simons 10 6'1 170

38 RB/DB Gerrod Bee 9 5'10 145

40 RB/LB Elias Grant 10 5'10 165

42 RB/DB Tre Cox 12 5'9 180

44 RB/LB Jermodd Garrett 12 6'1 195

45 RB/LB Juwan Jones-Wright 9 5'11 220

51 OL/LB Elisha Hall 12 6'1 210

52 OL/LB Christopher Griffith 11 6' 165

53 OL/LB Hunter Mayer 11 5'11 160

54 TE/DL Morgan Earp 12 6'3 215

55 OL/DL Kelser Buck 12 6' 240

56 OL/DL Jordon Ray 12 6'2 205

58 OL/DL Brady Lott 9 5'9 190

60 RB/LB Ryan Freeman 11 5'7 210

61 OL/DL Justin Noble 10 6'4 250

62 OL/DL Malachi Hoskinson 10 5'10 225

64 OL/DL Hunter Vanhorn 9 6'1 200

65 OL/DL Teague Wagner 12 6'3 280

66 OL/DL Zachary Prieto 10 6' 190

71 OL/DL Brad Elliot 10 6'1 285

73 OL/DL Dakota Bailey 9 5'10 220

74 OL/DL Isaiah Holyfield 12 5'11 270

75 OL/DL Dillon Pumphrey 9 5'10 230

77 OL/DL Justin Lucas 10 6'1 260

80 WR/DB John Renzelli 9 5'8 135

82 WR/DB Tariq Bailey 9 5'8 130

84 TE/DL Yeicob Marine 9 6'0 170

86 TE/LB Cole Fisher 9 6' 160

88 QB/DB Cody Nypan 9 5'6 135

School: ROBERT C BYRD

Class: AA

City: Clarksburg

County: HARRISON

Superintendent: Mrs. Susan Collins

Principal: Martin Pigg

Assistant Principal: Steve Gibson, Donna Hage

Athletic Director: Steve Gibson

Head Coach: Bruce Carey

Assistant Coaches: AJ Harman, Ben Hall, Randy Gorby, John Mayer, Zach Hayhurst

Trainers: Emilee Stout, MAE, ATC/R

Cheerleading Coaches: Karen Thomason and Jennifer Banko

Cheerleaders: Andrew Banko, Austin Cross, Samantha Lawson, Jada Nelson, Jordan Thomason, Lauren Patsy, Tessa Freeman, Brooke McWhirt, Jennifer Tassos, Ashton Thomason, Alyvia Harman, Josie Malfregeot, Jena Douglas, Brooklyn Washington, McKenzie Knight

Nickname: EAGLES

Band Director: Keith Grubb

Team Doctor: Dr. Robert Romano

Managers: Doug Layfield

Statistician: Bill Nestor

Video:

Wow, my info is off on the number is kids playing if that roster is correct. I'll check on that.

I do know that Bruce Carey retired after Bridgeport's loss to South Charleston in the AAA state title game a few years back because of his health. I believe he was in a wheel chair during most of that season. His health did take a turn for the better and he decided to get into coaching again. That's how he's in his second season at RCB.

Carey is in his first season back. He's not running the Stick-I like Bridgeport, though.

Fisher was the coach at RCB in 08 and 09 when Bluefield beat them soundly.

I think this RCB team matches up better to this Bluefield team than those did...and I think Carey is a better high school coach than Fisher was. But that's opinion. Bluefield has better players and a better team still.

As far as the roster, they don't dress freshmen. They're listed on that roster. They dress under 30 kids.

I hear they're big up front with good speed. I think they'll challenge Bluefield, but I just think the Beavers are better.