UVA needs a coach!!!

kevin

The way Tech was blitzing there at the end why not try some screens? Hit on one of those and you could've had a big play!

A few delayed draws would have been helpful too. There was absolutely no adjustments made to combat the blitz. Just all around one of the worst coaching performances I have ever seen.

Nobody has said anything about not using their 2 timeouts at the end of the game yet??

Baffling...

People talked about it some in the chatbox, and for the most part, wondered what the hell he was thinking.

Did anyone listen what London said after the game? Did he give reasons for not calling the timeouts?

Nobody has said anything about not using their 2 timeouts at the end of the game yet??

Baffling...

David Teel on Twitter...

"<s>#</s>UVa coach Mike London explains odd clock management against <s>#</s>Hokies in text message to me. http://bit.ly/Ul5enG"

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-london-clock-management,0,4138479.story

People talked about it some in the chatbox, and for the most part, wondered what the hell he was thinking.

Did anyone listen what London said after the game? Did he give reasons for not calling the timeouts?

I will post more on this when I cool down more.

Suffice it to say that London should be fired for that epic botching.

Interesting stat for those questioning London's decision to run the fake FG...

"After the failed fake FG by Virginia, VT ran 42 plays for 182 yards and 10 points, and UVa ran 13 plays for 13 yards and 0 points."

Talk about a game changer. UVAO and I both agreed as soon as it happened.

I feel satisfactorily "cooled down" enough to comment.

I'm very proud of our guys showing the determination, heart, and grit they did yesterday. Our defense had its 2nd-best game of the season (NCST being #1). Despite being ranked 115th in turnover margin and not having a defensive touchdown all year, our defense forced that one huge turnover in the 2nd half, giving UVA the lead in the 2nd half for the first time since 2004. Our line, while not exceptional, kept some pressure on Thomas. Braithwaite, our DT who was injured later in the game, threw Thomas to the ground on a sack like a rag doll. Remember that kid...he'll play in the League. Our young secondary (no starters older than RS sophormore) performed very admirably. Steve Greer and LaRoy Reynolds had 34 (34?!?!) tackles between them. LaRoy Reynolds was playing pissed off, too: he laid a hit on J.C. Coleman that rattled my teeth. Haven't seen a UVA player play like that against VT since Chris Long in '07. Those two guys will be sorely missed.

Our offense, though, was woeful at best. Tim Smith had one Hell of a game. That 54-yard TD to knot the game up was huge for any UVA momentum. But VT stacked the box, bringing pressure, forcing us to throw. Good move, Bud. We were limited to something like 1.2 yards/carry. Rocco, whose determination kept things close in the first half, ran off the rails in the 2nd half. The INT was a killer, but he threw 2 more ducks that should've easily been picked before that. He turned into Marc Verica, Jr. Shades of 2008, all over again. He had a chance to drive for the win in the final 4:00, and gagged.

But no one gagged like Mike London. As GMan can tell you, I was beside myself even as this was happening. The fake FG, run by the slowest guy on our team (ex-manager), was mind-bogglingly stupid. Not using the 2 TO we had left, which would've saved about 1:10, and using them to ice Journell on a virtual XP, was indefensible at best and catastrophically moronic at worst.

The teams were dead even, yesterday. Switch London and Beamer, and UVA at least takes VT to overtime, and perhaps even wins it. London lost me yesterday. He'll get another season, strictly based on the incorrect rationale of "gotta see his players through the system". But next year is a referendum season. A bowl appearance is a must, and if it's a 6-6 season, that may not be enough. There better be wholesale changes. Both lines coaches and ST coach should be jettisoned. Lazor's job's not even safe.

Hopefully, something changes. We return something like 7 defensive starters and 9 offensive starters. And the talent replacing the seniors is mostly better, exception at LB (Croce/Dean for Urban; M. Moore for Snyder/Schautz; Parks for P. Jones).

In sum: Congratulations, VT. You have yet again shown that you have what it takes to defeat your biggest rival, even under less than preferable circumstances. Until something significantly changes, you will continue to beat us. And it's a shame. It hurts a little to see things like "my 14-year-old son doesn't know what it feels like to beat VT in football".

A TD nonetheless, the only offensive one we had. Collateral issue, friend.

Goes to show I didn't check box scores or the game film before posting...

To be fair, I did check the box score; however, I only checked it because I knew it wasn't over a 50 yard TD, because the entire drive was only around 50 yards.

But like you said, doesn't really matter.