East v West

redtiger

Can you imagine the culture shock those guys will be in? They come from an area with a large population around them....all the way to a "hole in the ground" that literally is yet to have a stop light (soon to change).

yea personally think they wasting a lot of money putting that red light up.they have spent big money chipping up them gravel.

This isn't accurate in the least. Let me educate this board on Sussex, if I may.

Sussex is on the "other side" of the James. The one where the settlers wanted to land, but the river bottom was too narrow and rocky. The population of Sussex, VA (256) is less than the population of Pocahontas (441). Reread that last sentence again: that's not a mistype. The entire population of Sussex County is just a shade over 12K, which is less than Dickenson County (15K).

The ONLY major road through that place is 460. And it is a vast expanse of nothingness. Flat. Swampy. And nothing around it. The only routes to Williamsburg from Sussex are (1) a ferry, (2) going back up to Petersburg and driving north to hit I-64, or (3) driving down to take U.S. 60 to Newport News, then driving I-64 back up.

SEVA gets an inaccurate reputation based on Newport News, Virginia Beach, etc. It's not true.

If anything, those boys will feel right at home. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Actually 460 doesn't go through Sussex. Route 40 does. I-95 is closer than 460 and it will get you to Richmond in less than an hour. I lived in the Richmond area for 12 years and the "shock" people from that area have when they visit this one has nothing to do with culture. It's the mountains that freak them out.

Actually 460 doesn't go through Sussex. Route 40 does. I-95 is closer than 460 and it will get you to Richmond in less than an hour. I lived in the Richmond area for 12 years and the "shock" people from that area have when they visit this one has nothing to do with culture. It's the mountains that freak them out.

U.S. 460 does run through Sussex County. Very good friend of mine lived in Waverly, the only notable town in the county:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=active&q=Sussex+County,+VA&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89b1ce8a236ea8f7:0xa1ec821446c3156a,Sussex,+VA&gl=us&ei=js-zUP7iGrG80QGho4HgAg&ved=0CIABELYD

But agreed on the culture. The cultures are very, very similar. And agreed on I-95, which I thought passed just west of Sussex County. It does clip it in the backend. Though I will dispute the "hour to Richmond" claim, unless you're driving it between midnight and 6:00 AM. ;)

Edited by UVAObserver

U.S. 460 does run through Sussex County. Very good friend of mine lived in Waverly, the only notable town in the county:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=active&q=Sussex+County,+VA&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89b1ce8a236ea8f7:0xa1ec821446c3156a,Sussex,+VA&gl=us&ei=js-zUP7iGrG80QGho4HgAg&ved=0CIABELYD

But agreed on the culture. The cultures are very, very similar. And agreed on I-95, which I thought passed just west of Sussex County. It does clip it in the backend. Though I will dispute the "hour to Richmond" claim, unless you're driving it between midnight and 6:00 AM. ;)

Waverly - the best speed trap on 460. Having spent a great deal of time in Southside/Southeast VA, there are more things the rural areas have in common than are different. Geography and racial make up are about it. Oh and they deer hunt with dogs.

Watched the Sussex/Bath co. game in 2003 before the GC/Essex game. Possibly the cockiest bunch of fans i have ever seen/heard.(yeah think about that one for a bit) It didn't help that they refused to punt, they went for it on 4th once from their own 10. So it seems they had a good D and coach to back up the cockiness. They were yelling "No one can score on us" :) i wanted to tell them there was a GC team gonna play next that could hang 40 on 'em, but alas, i do sometimes take the high road... that and i didn't wanna have to fight that bunch being out numbered :)

in the immortal words of Ron White:"i didn't know how many it was gonna take to whip my butt, but i knew how many they were gonna use!" that's good information right there

Edited by LegendatLegion
spelling

yea personally think they wasting a lot of money putting that red light up.they have spent big money chipping up them gravel.

I don't know about that. If you've ever seen that turnoff in the mornings on school days, you shouldn't think it's a waste. Took me like, 10 minutes to turn off one time.

I don't know about that. If you've ever seen that turnoff in the mornings on school days, you shouldn't think it's a waste. Took me like, 10 minutes to turn off one time.

yea maybe, but seem to me they could have paid rentacop cheaper to direct traffic at that time .no doubt u best not be in a big hurry . I agree.