Notre dame's in the big game!!!

ThomasDenton

The SEC is dominant. Just this weekend 4 SEC teams played ACC teams, 3 games being away, and the SEC won all 4. You can be tired of the SEC all you want, but until the other conferences start playing SEC caliber football, you'll continue to hear about it. The class of the ACC right now is Clemson and Florida State, and two SEC teams manhandled them Saturday. I'm personally tired of hearing people cry about the SEC. If you don't like it, do something about it, like beat an SEC team (and Auburn and Kentucky don't exactly qualify). And if, and it's a big if, Notre Dame were to have all the planets lined up just right and Bama or UGA played their worst game of the year and Notre Dame were to win the BCSNC, it still won't make the SEC any less dominant. Hell, losing one BCSNC game in seven doesn't make you irrelevant.

By the way, the playoff format this year just might have seen two or even three SEC teams, so you might not want to be in such a hurry. :)

Key phrase in your argument... "4 SEC teams played ACC teams".... The Big East has owned the ACC.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that all ya got? Epic fail. You mean there are still people out there like you that listen to that idiot? That says a lot about you.

The SEC has six teams in the top 10 coaches poll and six in the top 11 AP. That speaks for itself.

Or it speaks for the coaches poll....

Or it speaks for the coaches poll....

The BCS for Week 14 is as follows:

BCS Standings

RK TEAM RECORD

1 Notre Dame 12-0

2 Alabama 11-1

3 Georgia 11-1

4 Florida 11-1

5 Oregon 11-1

6 Kansas State 10-1

7 LSU 10-2

8 Stanford 10-2

9 Texas A&M 10-2

10 South Carolina 10-2

11 Oklahoma 9-2

12 Nebraska 10-2

13 Florida State 10-2

14 Clemson 10-2

15 Oregon State 8-3

16 UCLA 9-3

17 Kent State 11-1

18 Texas 8-3

19 Michigan 8-4

20 Boise State 9-2

21 Northern Illinois 11-1

22 Northwestern 9-3

23 Oklahoma State 7-4

24 Utah State 10-2

25 San Jose State 10-2

HA! Whoa, Mr. Pouty Pants. Sorry to touch a nerve. From your past posts here, I should have known you were so overly sensitive.

But congrats on the conference you root for being so good. Speaking of, what's your relationship to Alabama again? I need to know if your a legitimate fan, or just a bandwagoner.

First of all, I'm not a Paul Finebaum fan at all, and I don't appreciate your initial inference. As far as what you need to know, that's your problem. Figure it out for yourself. If you're so familiar with my past posts here maybe you're smart enough to figure out whether or not I'm a bandwagon fan. Fair enough, Paaawwwlll? If you act like a smart ass, I'll be glad to treat you like one.

First of all, I'm not a Paul Finebaum fan at all, and I don't appreciate your initial inference. As far as what you need to know, that's your problem. Figure it out for yourself. If you're so familiar with my past posts here maybe you're smart enough to figure out whether or not I'm a bandwagon fan. Fair enough, Paaawwwlll? If you act like a smart ass, I'll be glad to treat you like one.

Well forgive me for mistaking you with him when you spew the same nonsense he does day after day. And you're an Alabama "fan". How was I supposed to know you didn't listen to Finebaum? You've always talked like his most loyal follower.

The BCS for Week 14 is as follows:

BCS Standings

RK TEAM RECORD

1 Notre Dame 12-0

2 Alabama 11-1

3 Georgia 11-1

4 Florida 11-1

5 Oregon 11-1

6 Kansas State 10-1

7 LSU 10-2

8 Stanford 10-2

9 Texas A&M 10-2

10 South Carolina 10-2

11 Oklahoma 9-2

12 Nebraska 10-2

13 Florida State 10-2

14 Clemson 10-2

15 Oregon State 8-3

16 UCLA 9-3

17 Kent State 11-1

18 Texas 8-3

19 Michigan 8-4

20 Boise State 9-2

21 Northern Illinois 11-1

22 Northwestern 9-3

23 Oklahoma State 7-4

24 Utah State 10-2

25 San Jose State 10-2

I think everyone on that list, sans Kent State, Northern Illinois, Utah State, and San Jose State, could beat ND if they brought an A- game or better. Firmly do. And yes, I know ND's beaten 2 of those teams.

Well forgive me for mistaking you with him when you spew the same nonsense he does day after day. And you're an Alabama "fan". How was I supposed to know you didn't listen to Finebaum? You've always talked like his most loyal follower.

First of all, I rarely talk Alabama football on here, so you're full of $hit.

Secondly, I'm an Alabama fan so, according to you, I'm now stereotyped as a Finebaum fan. Nothing could be further from the truth. I thought you were an expert on what I post on here. Looks like you need to do a lot more research. Knock yourself out. I have over 2000 posts here, and very few are about Alabama football. But on the rare occasion when I do have something to say, especially when someone tries to discredit Alabama or the SEC, I'll give my opinion, whether you like it or not.

First of all, I rarely talk Alabama football on here, so you're full of $hit.

Whoa. Watch your language, kind sir. I thought you were a Christian.

Secondly, I'm an Alabama fan so, according to you, I'm now stereotyped as a Finebaum fan. Nothing could be further from the truth. I thought you were an expert on what I post on here. Looks like you need to do a lot more research. Knock yourself out. I have over 2000 posts here, and very few are about Alabama football. But on the rare occasion when I do have something to say, especially when someone tries to discredit Alabama or the SEC, I'll give my opinion, whether you like it or not.

Who tried to discredit Alabama or the SEC? Futbolking said he was sick of them being around. You, as usual, take personal offense to an innocuous comment and shoot back with the arrogant vitriol (I didn't know it was possible, either) that only the grossest SEC exceptionalist could. Then I make a (really, really, REALLY) funny remark about how one could confuse what you said with Paul Finebaum's entire existence, and you take even more offense and call me an idiot. Who's the aggressor here?

But speaking to the point of this entire thread: Alabama is good. Are they beatable? Yes. Can Notre Dame beat them? Maybe. I think they have the pieces in place to do so. Is it likely? I'd say no. If I had to predict, I'd give Alabama a late touchdown to put the game out of reach. Maybe like a 34-21 win that felt closer than that final score... or something like that.

Whoa. Watch your language, kind sir. I thought you were a Christian.
You thought right. I'm not perfect, but I am forgiven.

Then I make a (really' date=' really, REALLY) funny remark about how one could confuse what you said with Paul Finebaum's entire existence, and you take even more offense and call me an idiot.[/quote']

I didn't call you an idiot, and I challenge you to show me where I did. If you're arguing to make a point, lying about what I said doesn't help your credibility.

I have no idea what Paul Finebaum's "entire existence" is, because I don't listen to his show, but apparently you do, so you're obviously an expert on Paul Finebaum. I have better things to do with my time than to listen to a radio show that attracts mental midgets. But if that's your thing, go for it.

Also, you're giving yourself "way, way, WAY" too much credit for being "really, really, REALLY funny". Don't quit your day job.

Edited by blueinbama

I didn't call you an idiot, and I challenge you to show me where I did.

Yeah, you're right. But you implied that I was an idiot (or something of the sort), so I took that as you calling me an idiot. You did that here:

Is that all ya got? Epic fail. You mean there are still people out there like you that listen to that idiot? That says a lot about you.

Now you're going incredulously say that that's not what you meant, you didn't say those exact words, etc., when in reality, we all know you were calling me an idiot. That's the game mental midgets play.

I have no idea what Paul Finebaum's "entire existence" is, because I don't listen to his show, but apparently you do, so you're obviously an expert on Paul Finebaum. I have better things to do with my time than to listen to a radio show that attracts mental midgets. But if that's your thing, go for it.

So when you continue speaking like a mental midget, how am I supposed to know you don't listen to a show that attracts mental midgets? That's where I'm a little fuzzy in this whole ordeal. It's an honest mistake. Really, it is.

One question I have is, why does GA get in (if they beat Bama) and not Oregon? I can see K-State being out because they got spanked by an unranked team, but Oregon's only loss was in OT to a good, ranked Stanford team. I haven't looked at GA's schedule, but who beat them?

One question I have is, why does GA get in (if they beat Bama) and not Oregon? I can see K-State being out because they got spanked by an unranked team, but Oregon's only loss was in OT to a good, ranked Stanford team. I haven't looked at GA's schedule, but who beat them?

It was South Carolina who beat them.

As far as why they would get the spot in the national championship, I would assume that the polls would favor them with a win over Alabama more than anything Oregon could do at this point. I don't know what the BCS computer numbers would look like though, but it wouldn't surprise me if Georgia came out ahead of Oregon there as well.

It was South Carolina who beat them.

As far as why they would get the spot in the national championship, I would assume that the polls would favor them with a win over Alabama more than anything Oregon could do at this point. I don't know what the BCS computer numbers would look like though, but it wouldn't surprise me if Georgia came out ahead of Oregon there as well.

Ah, ok. That would make sense.

Yeah, you're right. But you implied that I was an idiot (or something of the sort), so I took that as you calling me an idiot. You did that here:

Now you're going incredulously say that that's not what you meant, you didn't say those exact words, etc., when in reality, we all know you were calling me an idiot. That's the game mental midgets play.

So when you continue speaking like a mental midget, how am I supposed to know you don't listen to a show that attracts mental midgets? That's where I'm a little fuzzy in this whole ordeal. It's an honest mistake. Really, it is.

Do you ever read what you type? Talk about spinning like a Merry-Go_Round...lol. Whatever makes you feel better, "legend11". At least your name is spot on. You're a "legend" in your own mind, much like other mental midgets I know. And how about coming up with your own insults. Copying mine is about as lame as you can get.

I'd pick any of the Top 6 SEC teams to beat them outright.

ND's schedule was an utter joke. Best team was a 5-loss USC.

A point we should consider that I just read on SI.com by Andy Staples (I know he's an idiot, but not even he could mess this point up): ND faced nine bowl eligible teams. Alabama faced six, Georgia five. We could argue about the validity of what bowl eligibility tells us about a team's strength, but I think it's a solid metric on which to base the overall strength of schedule of a team who plays many bowl eligible teams. And based on this metric, I wouldn't consider ND's season a joke.

Now, don't read this as me saying Notre Dame are dominant world-beaters that are light-years ahead of the SEC. (A few SEC exceptionalists here are sure to read it that way.) There are many flaws to ND's offense especially. But to consider them so far outside of where Bama/Georgia are is a bit of a misnomer to say the least. I think it would be an incredibly competitive championship game.

A point we should consider that I just read on SI.com by Andy Staples (I know he's an idiot, but not even he could mess this point up): ND faced nine bowl eligible teams. Alabama faced six, Georgia five. We could argue about the validity of what bowl eligibility tells us about a team's strength, but I think it's a solid metric on which to base the overall strength of schedule of a team who plays many bowl eligible teams. And based on this metric, I wouldn't consider ND's season a joke.

Now, don't read this as me saying Notre Dame are dominant world-beaters that are light-years ahead of the SEC. (A few SEC exceptionalists here are sure to read it that way.) There are many flaws to ND's offense especially. But to consider them so far outside of where Bama/Georgia are is a bit of a misnomer to say the least. I think it would be an incredibly competitive championship game.

It's not that ND played X number of bowl eligible teams. It's that ND won those games with very uninspiring results. A 3-point win over Purdue. Same for BYU. Having Pitt gift-wrap the game they played. Playing a competitive game with a gag-worthy BC team. What that tells me is that ND can win wars of attrition. I think you can stick 8-10 teams in ND's shoes and have them roll through 12-0, too. Bama and UGA are two of those teams.

Lost in Bama's lone loss is that Bama outscored A&M 24-9 after that opening quarter, and would've won if not for one poor pass at the end. Even in Manziel's finest hour, it almost wasn't enough. And we're talking about the likely Heisman winner. Gholston, while respectable, doesn't touch that. And ND's offense isn't A&M's.

I just simply disagree that it would be competitive, if Bama beats Georgia. I believe it would be a game that I'd turn off before halftime after the Tide gained a 4-possession lead. I consider ND beating Bama a realistic impossibility.

It's not that ND played X number of bowl eligible teams. It's that ND won those games with very uninspiring results. A 3-point win over Purdue. Same for BYU. Having Pitt gift-wrap the game they played. Playing a competitive game with a gag-worthy BC team. What that tells me is that ND can win wars of attrition. I think you can stick 8-10 teams in ND's shoes and have them roll through 12-0, too. Bama and UGA are two of those teams.

Lost in Bama's lone loss is that Bama outscored A&M 24-9 after that opening quarter, and would've won if not for one poor pass at the end. Even in Manziel's finest hour, it almost wasn't enough. And we're talking about the likely Heisman winner. Gholston, while respectable, doesn't touch that. And ND's offense isn't A&M's.

I just simply disagree that it would be competitive, if Bama beats Georgia. I believe it would be a game that I'd turn off before halftime after the Tide gained a 4-possession lead. I consider ND beating Bama a realistic impossibility.

Fair enough. But like LSU proved, it doesn't take a Heisman-caliber quarterback to take Alabama to the wire. What it takes is a defense big enough and willing enough to stand across the line and smash into Alabama's offense as hard or harder than what Alabama brings. That will at least keep you close. And that's something Notre Dame shown they're able to do, considering they're ranked second in points allowed (10.33 pts/game). Their biggest problem? Alabama is #1 in that category (9.25 pts/game). As has been the case all year, it's going to be tough to put points on the board against 'Bama, especially for an offense that scores a little less than 27 points/game.

Fair enough. But like LSU proved, it doesn't take a Heisman-caliber quarterback to take Alabama to the wire. What it takes is a defense big enough and willing enough to stand across the line and smash into Alabama's offense as hard or harder than what Alabama brings. That will at least keep you close. And that's something Notre Dame shown they're able to do, considering they're ranked second in points allowed (10.33 pts/game). Their biggest problem? Alabama is #1 in that category (9.25 pts/game). As has been the case all year, it's going to be tough to put points on the board against 'Bama, especially for an offense that scores a little less than 27 points/game.

Nothing is impossible I guess. Here's a little food for thought. Notre Dame 2012 reminds me a little of a very lucky Auburn team of 2010, only not as good because of a lack of offense. The luck of the Irish has certainly reared its ugly head all this year. There are several games that were close, and two games went into overtime.

Purdue 20-17

Michigan 13-6 (Bama destroyed Michigan 41-14)

Stanford 20-13 in OT

BYU 17-14

Pitt 29-26 in 3 OT's

BC (2-10) 21-6 (It was 14-3 at the half, and BC held them to 1 TD in the second half)

This BC team had a worse record than than Auburn!

Notre Dame scored three touchdowns or more in only three (3) games this year. If not for a good FG kicker, and some luck from opponents missing chip shot FG's, Notre Dame could easily be 9-3 or worse.

Bama has scored 40 + points 6 times

Notre Dame has scored 40 + points 2 times

Bama has scored 30 or more points 9 times

Notre Dame has scored 30 or more points 4 times (and one of their games went three OT's and they still only scored 29 points).

Shutouts: Bama 4 Notre Dame 1

Total Defense: Bama #1 Notre Dame #6

Bama has scored 61 TD's

Notre Dame has scored 36 TD's

Pretty overwhelming when you consider all this, plus the fact that Alabama has "been there" so many times in the recent past and knows how to handle the distractions.

And there's that Nick Saban factor, not to be overlooked. 2 NC's at Bama in 5 years and counting, with a record of 59-6 since 2008.

Edited by blueinbama

Nothing is impossible I guess. Here's a little food for thought. Notre Dame 2012 reminds me a little of a very lucky Auburn team of 2010, only not as good because of a lack of offense. The luck of the Irish has certainly reared its ugly head all this year. There are several games that were close, and two games went into overtime.

Purdue 20-17

Michigan 13-6 (Bama destroyed Michigan 41-14)

Stanford 20-13 in OT

BYU 17-14

Pitt 29-26 in 3 OT's

BC (2-10) 21-6 (It was 14-3 at the half, and BC held them to 1 TD in the second half)

This BC team had a worse record than than Auburn!

Notre Dame scored three touchdowns or more in only three (3) games this year. If not for a good FG kicker, and some luck from opponents missing chip shot FG's, Notre Dame could easily be 9-3 or worse.

Bama has scored 40 + points 6 times

Notre Dame has scored 40 + points 2 times

Bama has scored 30 or more points 9 times

Notre Dame has scored 30 or more points 4 times (and one of their games went three OT's and they still only scored 29 points).

Shutouts: Bama 4 Notre Dame 1

Total Defense: Bama #1 Notre Dame #6

Bama has scored 61 TD's

Notre Dame has scored 36 TD's

Pretty overwhelming when you consider all this, plus the fact that Alabama has "been there" so many times in the recent past and knows how to handle the distractions.

And there's that Nick Saban factor, not to be overlooked. 2 NC's at Bama in 5 years and counting, with a record of 59-6 since 2008.

Alabama also played more teams with losing records and less teams with winning records than Notre Dame did.

Alabama also played more teams with losing records and less teams with winning records than Notre Dame did.

That's true, however if you include the 6-6 teams there's not that much difference. Bama played 7, ND played 5. What about teams with less than 5 losses? Bama played 4, ND played 4. While on the surface it looks like Notre Dame had the tougher schedule, when you break it down there's not that much difference.

I guess we can spin this however we want. I could also argue Bama never came close to losing to any of those teams with a losing record as Notre Dame did on three occasions...Purdue, Pitt, and BC.

Edited by blueinbama

I went to Bristol and Johnson City over the weekend and saw people wearing Notre Dame apparel every where I looked. I told my wife welcome to bandwagonville.

Notre Dame has a huge following. They are the team of the Catholic Church. I've seen more Notre Dame jerseys in Charlotte than Panther's jerseys.