blfd 75 graham 32

thegamer

I still remember the incredible run by now-defunct Northfork. Even the "also ran" programs in Southern WV have produced a tremendous roster of athletes who have done well.

Yep, I can't believe I accidentally left them off my list. Northfork should be at the head of that list by a long shot.

Problem with prep hoops is that it's hard to compare apples to apples. The top private schools (like DeMatha) are powerful on a national level. There aren't many public schools outside of the largest metropolitan areas who should even consider competing against schools of that type.

I took the gist of this thread to mean that the public schools in Southern West Virginia are far superior to those in Southwest Virginia. And I don't think there's any basis for debate there. The WV teams are definitely better.

Maybe there's room for discussion about the very best public schools drawn from the entire Commonwealth as opposed to those from the Mountain State.

Bottom line.... I'm going to confess that I'm terribly confused about what is meant by "Virginia basketball." Are we talking exclusively about public schools? And if the subject is private schools, are we excluding post-grad squads?

Mainly curious here. Clarifications of any kind will be appreciated.

When I think of "Virginia high-school basketball", I think of public and private schools that are non post-grad schools. In doing so, I'm forced to include Oak Hill, even though it is the textbook definition of an "outlier". Oak Hill is arguably the best boys' HS basketball "program" in the nation, and Steve Smith is almost inarguably the best boys' HS basketball coach in the nation.

Here's what I find telling. When I look at Oak Hill's schedule, Oak Hill plays nearly triple the teams from NC that it plays from VA, and NC isn't significantly more populous than VA. Usually, Oak Hill wipes the slate clean with VA schools, this year being a notable exception, when Oak Hill was upset by Paul VI, another private school from NOVA. Aside from that loss, Oak Hill is undefeated.

Of course, though, public schools are at a significant disadvantage as compared to private schools, who do everything short of formal recruiting. And there's AAU ball, which is another discussion entirely.

To get to the point, I think Bluefield would be favored against any public HS in the western half of Virginia, and would stand a fighting chance against schools from Charlottesville east. And I am not a SWVA apologist by any means, as you know me from the football board.

When I think of "Virginia high-school basketball", I think of public and private schools that are non post-grad schools. In doing so, I'm forced to include Oak Hill, even though it is the textbook definition of an "outlier". Oak Hill is arguably the best boys' HS basketball "program" in the nation, and Steve Smith is almost inarguably the best boys' HS basketball coach in the nation.

Here's what I find telling. When I look at Oak Hill's schedule, Oak Hill plays nearly triple the teams from NC that it plays from VA, and NC isn't significantly more populous than VA. Usually, Oak Hill wipes the slate clean with VA schools, this year being a notable exception, when Oak Hill was upset by Paul VI, another private school from NOVA. Aside from that loss, Oak Hill is undefeated.

Of course, though, public schools are at a significant disadvantage as compared to private schools, who do everything short of formal recruiting. And there's AAU ball, which is another discussion entirely.

To get to the point, I think Bluefield would be favored against any public HS in the western half of Virginia, and would stand a fighting chance against schools from Charlottesville east. And I am not a SWVA apologist by any means, as you know me from the football board.

Thanks very much for the explanation. I think I get the gist of the expanded discussion. And I'm pretty sure that I agree with you. On an individual basis, the talent level for basketball players in Virginia does seem significantly lower than that of every bordering state.

Oak Hill's definitely another outlier. In addition to your astute observation about their schedule, they're stocking their roster with players from other states (or with the very best players in the Commonwealth when there is an exception to this practice).

I've got a nephew who is currently navigating the recruiting waters. He plays point guard for a private school and is also active with at least a couple of AAU teams. He has solid offers to play Division II ball from several schools up and down the East Coast. He's still kind of holding out for a chance to play Division I ball (and he has a realistic shot at an invitation to walk on at a university in a lower-tier conference), but I'm wondering if the fact that his playing experience has largely been gained in Virginia might be adversely affecting him. (Without going in to his talent and ability, of course. My evaluation of that would obviously be subjective.)

To your point about Bluefield, I think you are spot on. In fact, I think Beaver is very nearly an outlier of its own among schools its size. Put them in the appropriate classification in just about any Mid Atlantic state, and I think they would go pretty deep in the playoffs on a nearly annual basis.

Thanks very much for the explanation. I think I get the gist of the expanded discussion. And I'm pretty sure that I agree with you. On an individual basis, the talent level for basketball players in Virginia does seem significantly lower than that of every bordering state.

Oak Hill's definitely another outlier. In addition to your astute observation about their schedule, they're stocking their roster with players from other states (or with the very best players in the Commonwealth when there is an exception to this practice).

I've got a nephew who is currently navigating the recruiting waters. He plays point guard for a private school and is also active with at least a couple of AAU teams. He has solid offers to play Division II ball from several schools up and down the East Coast. He's still kind of holding out for a chance to play Division I ball (and he has a realistic shot at an invitation to walk on at a university in a lower-tier conference), but I'm wondering if the fact that his playing experience has largely been gained in Virginia might be adversely affecting him. (Without going in to his talent and ability, of course. My evaluation of that would obviously be subjective.)

To your point about Bluefield, I think you are spot on. In fact, I think Beaver is very nearly an outlier of its own among schools its size. Put them in the appropriate classification in just about any Mid Atlantic state, and I think they would go pretty deep in the playoffs on a nearly annual basis.

I do think we're in agreement here. Good points, too, about stockpiling talent. Oak Hill's roster would likely pass for a high-major roster if the team were kept together through college. Always a premier destination for the parents willing and able to send their children.

And best of luck to your nephew! Without knowing talent level, I would wonder if it's perhaps a mix of the competition being deficient in HS and the fact that on the Virginia AAU scene, at least in my experience, it's Boo Williams and "everyone else". Meaning, a lack of exposure.

Of course, if he's active with Boo, that would pretty much invalidate the whole previous paragraph.

I do think we're in agreement here. Good points, too, about stockpiling talent. Oak Hill's roster would likely pass for a high-major roster if the team were kept together through college. Always a premier destination for the parents willing and able to send their children.

And best of luck to your nephew! Without knowing talent level, I would wonder if it's perhaps a mix of the competition being deficient in HS and the fact that on the Virginia AAU scene, at least in my experience, it's Boo Williams and "everyone else". Meaning, a lack of exposure.

Of course, if he's active with Boo, that would pretty much invalidate the whole previous paragraph.

Actually, my nephew competes against Boo's teams. And occasionally beats them. Which probably isn't helping my nephew much in the long run, either. ; )

If I had to assess his talent with any level of objectivity, he's definitely capable of playing at the Division II (and that's borne out by the number of offers he has in hand). However, in the cosmic scheme of things, I'm also counseling him to start thinking very hard about what he wants his life to be like when his playing days come to an end. But I'm just his uncle -- I don't want to rain on his parade. And if the walk-on thing works out, I'd certainly be very proud of him.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure that I'll be posting about him wherever he ends up in a boorish, proud uncle kind of way.

Graham actually isn't bad for a Single-A team. They are a pretty quick team with decent fundamentals and will go as Colby Hill and Tony Hood go. Bluefield will make just about any team "slow" and Graham won't see that kind of overall ball pressure by any team on their schedule (aside from Round 2 with Bluefield) for the rest of the season.

Absolute worst case, Graham loses 7 or 8 games. Outside of Bluefield and Floyd, they should be able to beat Bland and Grayson. They should win their district. They won't advance any further though, but in their defense, neither will any other team in SWVA.

Graham will play a quality single A team on the 27th..... we'll see how it goes. I just don't see what everybody else is seeing in them. Beating Giles and Richlands twice is not an impressive resume. Don't count on beating Bland or Grayson.... will be hard fought...I'll say Graham and Bland are pretty evenly matched...I'd give the edge to Grayson... I guess we'll see if I just have no clue...or not. I really hope you guys are right, I"m just not seeing it.

You guys are probably getting tired of hearing me say this... but I cannot wait to see Caleb Tanner play.... I was very impressed with that kid last season.

Edited by futbolking

Graham will play a quality single A team on the 27th..... we'll see how it goes. I just don't see what everybody else is seeing in them. Beating Giles and Richlands twice is not an impressive resume. Don't count on beating Bland or Grayson.... will be hard fought...I'll say Graham and Bland are pretty evenly matched...I'd give the edge to Grayson... I guess we'll see if I just have no clue...or not. I really hope you guys are right, I"m just not seeing it.

Remember: Graham absolutely crushed Richlands and Giles twice and defeated Tazewell pretty easily. They have lost to Abingdon (undefeated) on the road and Bluefield on the road. You can't judge Graham by the Bluefield game. They are simply on another level. Graham will win alot more than they will lose this year. Hood and Hill will do great things at Graham.

You guys are probably getting tired of hearing me say this... but I cannot wait to see Caleb Tanner play.... I was very impressed with that kid last season.

Tanner is averaging about 37 ppg this year, with a couple of games over 40 and only one under 30.

EDIT

He's averaging 36 ppg this season...

39 vs. Bland Co. (82-71, W)

39 vs. Pulaski Co. (71-66, W)

26 vs. Blacksburg (77-71, L)

32 vs. Patrick Co. (94-61, W)

42 vs. Blacksburg (65-51, W)

38 vs. Patrick Co. (104-40, W)